Spyder Garage

Default Replacing the AIR FILTER and the COOLANT on a 2014 RTL

This guy explains it really well I think;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUVuwp2ZF6c

Air filter replacement starts at the 6:00 mark
    Coolant replacement starts at the 7:30 mark
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

There are no radiator drain plugs in the 1330 ACE engine cooling system. Service manual says to remove lower right radiator hose.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    There are no radiator drain plugs in the 1330 ACE engine cooling system. Service manual says to remove lower right radiator hose.
    ............ I have watched quite a few " how to vids " on U-tube and discovered a lot of them are pure " Hooey " posted by narcissistic people who just need attention ..... JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ............ I have watched quite a few " how to vids " on U-tube and discovered a lot of them are pure " Hooey " posted by narcissistic people who just need attention ..... JMHO .... Mike
    Actually, in this video, he suggested disconnecting the hose rather than using a drain plug.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Correct. I changed mine last summer and that is what I did.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Removing the air filter on 2014 RTL

3 Torx-30 screws and the cover pops off, exposing the cylindrical air filter. The filter just pulls straight out. Mine has 32k on it and is pretty clean, although some loose grit did fall out of it. Doing its job I guess. I believe the port at the bottom of the cavity where the filter goes is the intake, so the outside of the filter leads to the engine intake. It will be interesting to see where Wick-It drills the two holes in the filter cover to provide additional air intake. With the air scoop kit I installed, that portion of the airbox should be drawing plenty of cooler ambient air I think.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-18-2022 at 10:55 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Actually, in this video, he suggested disconnecting the hose rather than using a drain plug.
    If he'd looked at the 1330 ACE engine parts fiche he would have seen there are no drain plugs on the radiators. Then he would have been correct if he said that the problems he'd heard about regarding radiator drain plugs were on the V-twin engines and then said what I posted he would have been correct.

The best part of the video was his warning about skin cancer. My son, who is an avid kite surfer, went through exactly what he did, only worse, and is fine now.
    Last edited by JayBros; 07-18-2022 at 07:43 PM.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I do like the way he actually points out the need to have a K&N air filter turned correctly to mate with the top cover. Some folks sure do get crossed up on that step.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Great video.
    Myself, when I recently did the coolant flush and refill, I removed all the oem Oetiker hose clamps and replaced all of them with Norma worm clamps. Huge upgrade and no sliced hoses from the clamps. Found and cured the coolant leak that has been there with those Oetiker clamps since new in early 2014. Leak was in a location that was impossible to see, and if I had retained those Oetiker clamps, I would have needed to cut several off in order to tighten the leaky one on the bench, as there is no access where the leak was.
    Upgraded the coolant to Peak brand mixed 50/50 with Water Wetter added once mixed 50/50. Awesome improvement as now the fans very seldom run.
    Best mod though was relocating the AAPT probe into the primary airbox. This let me see exactly how poorly the Spyders cold air intake works. Once seeing how hot the induction air actually is, I made changes that dropped the induction air temp by over 20 degrees, and prevented heat soaking the induction system. Now on the hottest days, the engine breathes ambient temp air, and produces power as if being ridden on a cool evening.

Would be nice to see these added holes by Wick It. Drilling holes in the airbox likely draws in heated air, lowering performance and engine power output. Ironically, there is no restriction in the Spyders oem design regarding airflow into the airbox, the problem is heat. With my changes, the engine consumes air that is as cool as possible with a stock induction system.

The posted video is superb, sadly not enough of these get posted on Facebook or YouTube. Excellent DIY video with advice regarding staying healthy. Awesome he installed a K&N filter, explaining it only fits when aligned properly. Even more cool is how humble the person was in the video, admitting humanness by having his previously done oil change spill on the floor. Even more was that he brought great safety to the forefront, by explaining why he did not trust his 40 year old car jack. Great video, one of the best Spyder videos ever posted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PMK, do you have your intake mods posted somewhere? Is that the one where you removed the whole assembly and wrapped part of it with heat shield foil?

Sorry to hijack my own thread...
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    PMK, do you have your intake mods posted somewhere? Is that the one where you removed the whole assembly and wrapped part of it with heat shield foil?

Sorry to hijack my own thread...
    Posted on Facebook. Yes, removed all the components and wrapped with ceramic material. Hours of work, bit expensive, pretty much one of the best mods done, and our Spyder has a lot of mods.