Spyder Garage

Default Left the lights on, battery is Dead & won't charge! Any ideas??

I took my spyder out for a ride yesterday and left the lights on all all night so the battery is dead. I put a charger and it still won't start and the sceen won't come on. What could 5he problem be

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How many hours on the charger, at what amperage?
    What is battery voltage, charger disconnected?
    What is battery age?

A severely discharged battery may never recover.
    If it does recover, it may have a short life, thereafter.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jay13433 View Post
    I took my spyder out for a ride yesterday and left the lights on all all night so the battery is dead. I put a charger and it still won't start and the sceen won't come on. What could 5he problem be
    If you can remove battery and put on a staged charger that will desulfate .charge, then float charge is best. Or you can find a batteries plus to have them charge over night.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm guessing you left the key on. Batteries absolutely HATE to be left empty. Because of that, your battery may be toast. Do as happyspyder mentioned. That'll be your best bet.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

....My best guess is purchase a battery tender/maintainer and charge your battery for 24 hours.
    Then load test it see what you have got.

Or just bite the bullet and buy a new OEM Type Spyder Battery. Because you have most likely 'fried' your battery.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can't imagine How you left the key in the ON position, and shut the motor off ...... I didn't think the lights could be left ON after the motor was off ..... Good luck with the battery ......Mike

......... OK I decided to check on the "HOW" this could occur myself .... I started my 14 RT, then hit the KILL switch

- that shut the motor off ..... but the headlights stayed on .... after one minute they were still on so I turned off the Key (I didn't want to kill my battery) ..... This won't ever happen to me because:

1. - I never use the Kill switch; and
    2. - I never leave the key in the ignition switch .... not even in my locked garage! ......

M
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-17-2022 at 02:58 AM. Reason: List; caps... ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I can't imagine How you left the key in the ON position, and shut the motor off ...... I didn't think the lights could be left ON after the motor was off ..... Good luck with the battery ......Mike

......... OK I decided to check on the "HOW" this could occur myself .... I started my 14 RT, then hit the KILL switch

- that shut the motor off ..... but the headlights stayed on .... after one minute they were still on so I turned off the Key (I didn't want to kill my battery) ..... This won't ever happen to me because:

2. - I never leave the key in the ignition switch .... not even in my locked garage! ......

M
    I was thinking that must have been some hot babe he brought home with him...
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-17-2022 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    If you can remove battery and put on a staged charger that will desulfate .charge, then float charge is best. Or you can find a batteries plus to have them charge over night.
    they can load test afterwards too You might have lost your trip meters & possibly some audio settings however

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

M
    Why dont you use the kill switch

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you can't get a charge into it, the battery may be toast now.

How old is it anyway?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-17-2022 at 08:22 AM. Reason: maybe - may be ;-)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chrono00 View Post
    Why dont you use the kill switch
    Cos on your Spyder, virtually all the time using the Kill Switch is a pointless anachronism left over from times past when being able to cut the spark in order to either shut down a carburettor engine that was 'running on' due to gravity fed fuel still running into it or stop it igniting any fuel leaking over the engine and the spark might need to be quickly 'killed' was important; something that's pretty much redundant now that most bikes have EFI Engines requiring high pressure & strictly metered/atomised fuel to be injected at juuust the right moment into the inlet tract or cylinder,; and if that pressure drops/there's a leak in the fuel delivery line then the engine gets shut down by the computer anyway, just like it does in your modern car.....

You could just as well ask "Why don't you have a kill switch on your car?" and the almost unanimous answer would be pretty similar - 'Cos there's no need with modern engines & their computer monitored/controlled fuel delivery and engine running!' - an answer which applies equally to virtually all modern fuel injected cars and motorcycles like our Spyders/Rykers! Besides, the Kill Switch is just another electrical thing to go wrong, which they can & do (just do a search on 'Kill Switch' to see!) even if not too often.... . But when they do fail, most riders are completely unable to do anything to get their bike running again, all cos a fairly simple but basically now unnecessary switch failed to work when it should! Why do that to yourself & run the (real) risk of failure when it adds NOTHING to your actual safety anymore, and yet it could cause a whole lot of inconvenience if not a real risk to life &/or limb?!?

And with that said, we really should return to the topic of this thread & avoid hijacking it any further (sorry Jay ) -as mentioned, there are other threads here discussing the Kill Switch.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-17-2022 at 08:51 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

A standard lead/acid automotive battery is not designed to be discharged more than about 20%. This includes AGM batteries, which are still lead/acid. Discharging them below this 20% can, and often does, cause physical damage inside the case, via plate warping and shorting. The age of the battery isn't particularly relevant to this, nor is the # of dollars spent to purchase it. If you want to take a battery below this point requires a "deep cycle" battery typically used on boats and RV's. Deep cycles have different internal construction, which makes them NOT suitable for starting use as they don't deal well with heavy current draw. And yes, the battery on your bike is a standard, automotive style battery.
    Last edited by Hogtied; 07-19-2022 at 07:24 AM.

Spyder Garage

Some battery chargers will not charge a completely discharged battery. You can either find one that will or hook a good battery to the discharged one for a minute to build up some voltage and then hook your battery charger to it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

If you can find one of those chargers that have a 50 amp (or more) jump start feature that may 'shock' the battery enough to get it to accept a charge. A battery tender type charger will never get it there. What others have suggested to just remove it and take it into a battery store is your best bet.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    MOST battery chargers will not charge a completely discharged battery. You can either find one that will or hook a good battery to the discharged one for a minute to build up some voltage and then hook your battery charger to it.
    Fixed it for you Ed!

But Dave's last sentence is right....

....What others have suggested to just remove it and take it into a battery store is your best bet.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-19-2022 at 11:33 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Any Updates

Just curious if you have decided on what you will do.
    Several good Tips have been posted.
    Oh well, do whatever you want and enjoy the Time.

For me I say 'get it done and move on'. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

I'm coming late to this party, so I'm sure you've read this advice before.
    Spyders are REMARKABLY sensitive to the condition of the battery.
    If there is any doubt to the condition of the battery, just replace it as soon as possible.
    DAMHIKT
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Discussion continued in this thread:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...-battery-ideas
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!