Spyder Garage

Default 21 Spyder RTL CEL but no codes

Hi guys,
    My wife took her Spyder out yesterday for the first time this year. She said it was running rough and the CEL is on. When I went through the menu to see codes it says no codes. The CEL doesn't come on until the engine starts but does come on the second it fires up. Any ideas? Thanks.

20220713_183419.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2022 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Spyder Garage

Did you check the obvious things? Oil, water and such? Do the fans come on and shut off? Are all the gauges working? Just throwing thing out there.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Another thought, if it sat for a long period of time, it could be a gas problem
    If all the gauges show that the temps and oil pressure are fine, you might want to throw some good fuel treatment/injector cleaner in the tank to see if it helps.

Other than the obvious stuff you might have to take it to the dealer.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 07-14-2022 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added to post.

Spyder Garage

She rode it arrive for a bit and then when I went to check out later it fired right up and sounded beautiful. Everything worked as it should, gauges, fans etc. It needs an oil change (I have the kit but found it doesn't need the first one until 3k miles, she's not even at 1k yet and we've owned it for almost two years at this point) but I doubt that would trigger a CEL. The fluid are all fine as well. The gas is old though, about 10 months or so I think.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WillL84 View Post
    She rode it arrive for a bit and then when I went to check out later it fired right up and sounded beautiful. Everything worked as it should, gauges, fans etc. It needs an oil change (I have the kit but found it doesn't need the first one until 3k miles, she's not even at 1k yet and we've owned it for almost two years at this point) but I doubt that would trigger a CEL. The fluid are all fine as well. The gas is old though, about 10 months or so I think.
    I would do two things then,

1. Add some good fuel additive to the tank. (Maybe even drain the tank and start with fresh fuel with the additive. If you only have a small amount of fuel, then add some additive and fill with a high-grade gas.

2. Unhook the battery to reset the computer then try again.
    Last edited by K80Shooter; 07-14-2022 at 04:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

actually please double check manual for intervals not just mileage but time frames too
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-14-2022 at 08:49 PM. Reason: timeframestoo:thumb... ;-)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    actually please double check manual for intervals not just mileage but time frames too
    Yea that's why I'm just going to do it lol

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I would do two things then,

1. Add some good fuel additive to the tank. (Maybe even drain the tank and start with fresh fuel with the additive. If you only have a small amount of fuel, then add some additive and fill with a high-grade gas.

2. Unhook the battery to reset the computer then try again.
    I'll unhook the battery after work and let it sit for a bit and see what happens. Also hers is identical to yours but it's a '21. LOVE that petrol color, it's gorgeous.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'll unhook the battery after work and let it sit for a bit and see what happens. Also hers is identical to yours but it's a '21. LOVE that petrol color, it's gorgeous.
    AFTER... dis-connecting BOTH leads .... touch them together ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi guys,
    My wife took her Spyder out yesterday for the first time this year. She said it was running rough and the CEL is on. When I went through the menu to see codes it says no codes. The CEL doesn't come on until the engine starts but does come on the second it fires up. Any ideas? Thanks.

Any updates on your issue?
    20220713_183419.jpg
    Any update on your issue?
    2020 RTL , Chalk metallic

Spyder Garage

Nothing at all. She hasn't ridden it again yet and I haven't had the time to mess with it lol

Spyder Garage

Do the oil change, even if you only have 1k miles on it, do the oil!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Update to this old thread - took the spyder out for a ride a few weeks ago and the CEL was gone. No idea what caused it or what caused it to go away. Oh well lol

Spyder Garage

Update to this old thread - took the spyder out for a ride a few weeks ago and the CEL was gone. No idea what caused it or what caused it to go away. Oh well lol
    Yeah, sometimes those Check Engine Lights are just a 'catch all' warning for any & all sorts of sundry things that might make things appear to be going wrong & the computers don't have a code for any specific problem or maybe can't even clearly identify the problem....

But if it's not there now & it doesn't come back in the near future, it's probably nothing worth worrying too much about.... So you (&/or the Missus) can just....

Ride More, & Worry Less!

But only after doing that first 3,000 miles or yearly oil & filter change, of course!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    So you (&/or the Missus) can just....
    It's her ride lol. This is mine:

20220627_181528.jpg

Spyder Garage

It's her ride lol. This is mine:

20220627_181528.jpg
    Oh, that's a pity. How come she gets all the fun?!?

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!