Spyder Garage

Default Should I Cover my Spyder While Towing?

I just received my Stinger trailer. I bought it directly from the manufacturer, who I would give a 9 out of 10 rating. I'm planning a 700 mile trip in a few weeks and was wondering if I should put the cover on while towing, or will the wind pick it up and damage it or the bike? Thoughts? Opinions?

Spyder Garage

Leave the cover off & preserve the paint!

The paint's softer than you might think, and anything covering it that will move or flap AT ALL for any length of time WILL damage it!! I've seen a Spyder that'd been covered with a (fairly?!?) tight fitting, specially lined, & advertised as suitable for covering vehicles being towed cover that had many biiig wear blemishes rubbed into the paint after just 1 hour of towing at 'around town' speeds - so not even Freeway or Long Distance Travelling speeds, just 35 mph or so for about 1 hour & the paint work was destroyed!!

So just leave the cover off & preserve the paint! It'll be no harder to clean the bugs & road grime off than it would be if you rode it that far . Besides, cleaning it sure beats getting it stripped back & repainted!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

What Peter said!
    2015 Spyder RT-S (Arion) and 2021 RTL Sea to Sky (charming wife)
    2012 2012 RT-L and 3015 RT-S , 2012 - red and 2015 black (way too black)

Spyder Garage

That's been my experience as well. More damage from rubbing than you will ever get from road debris. Any strike energetic enough to cause real damage will not be stopped by a fabric covering.
    2022 RT S2S
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Leave the cover off & preserve the paint!

The paint's softer than you might think, and anything covering it that will move or flap AT ALL for any length of time WILL damage it!! I've seen a Spyder that'd been covered with a (fairly?!?) tight fitting, specially lined, & advertised as suitable for covering vehicles being towed cover that had many biiig wear blemishes rubbed into the paint after just 1 hour of towing at 'around town' speeds - so not even Freeway or Long Distance Travelling speeds, just 35 mph or so for about 1 hour & the paint work was destroyed!!

So just leave the cover off & preserve the paint! It'll be no harder to clean the bugs & road grime off than it would be if you rode it that far . Besides, cleaning it sure beats getting it stripped back & repainted!
    ..... Absolutely .... take a good look at your Car or anyone else's..... see those millions of Swirl marks .... they occurred after the car was carefully washed and then waxed.... now imagine what the cover on the Spyder is doing as you drive down ( or up ) a highway at 60 + mph ?????? .... get the picture ..... Mike

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyL View Post
    I just received my Stinger trailer. I bought it directly from the manufacturer, who I would give a 9 out of 10 rating. I'm planning a 700 mile trip in a few weeks and was wondering if I should put the cover on while towing, or will the wind pick it up and damage it or the bike? Thoughts? Opinions?
    NO NEVER !!!! the wind blowing on the cover will act like sand paper and remove your paint.

Spyder Garage

The best protection for your Spyder is to make sure your towing vehicle has good protection from throwing stuff at the bike from the rear wheels. Good mud flaps on the towing vehicle and/or a good rock guard on the trailer. And follow the good advice given by the previous posters..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi