Spyder Garage

Default Can I drive with DPS fuse removed?

Hello my problem is in the curves my spyder rs 2012 gives blows and the same as if my dps would default does it happen to someone and if I remove the fuse can I drive with it?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cirruss77 View Post
    Hello my problem is in the curves my spyder rs 2012 gives blows and the same as if my dps would default does it happen to someone and if I remove the fuse can I drive with it?
    What does " gives blows " mean ...?????? .............Mike

Spyder Garage

He tends to want to come back straight when I take a curve, it's as if the front doesn't want to follow

Spyder Garage

A few folks have removed the DPS fuse(s) until the trike has been repaired with a new DPS unit as I recall.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

Hi. I beg your forbearance for hijacking a thread, but this one was the most recent of the ones I've looked at.

My 09 GS just had the check engine light and Check DPS message appear. Maneuvering in driveway at the time. Pulled codes using the high beam switch and got no current codes message, even though check engine and DPS message were showing. Battery less than a year old and showing 12.7 V. Terminals clean.

I put the VIN into the BRP recall page - says not under recall.

However, it does have a toe issue. Tires I just replaced were chewed up on outside, so definitely needs positive toe.

Questions...
    1. Would this be enough to cause the DPS message?
    2. If so, how does the ECM know this? Load on the DPS motor?
    3. When I adjust the toe, will the ECM recognize this after some riding and clear the code?
    4. Is there anything else besides a bad DPS unit that could be the issue (I read somewhere about a steering position sensor, I think)? Anything I can do in my garage?

I always appreciate the sharing of your knowledge and expertise.

Matt

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jmsnyder01 View Post
    Hi. I beg your forbearance for hijacking a thread, but this one was the most recent of the ones I've looked at.

My 09 GS just had the check engine light and Check DPS message appear. Maneuvering in driveway at the time. Pulled codes using the high beam switch and got no current codes message, even though check engine and DPS message were showing. Battery less than a year old and showing 12.7 V. Terminals clean.

I put the VIN into the BRP recall page - says not under recall.

However, it does have a toe issue. Tires I just replaced were chewed up on outside, so definitely needs positive toe.

Questions...
    1. Would this be enough to cause the DPS message?
    2. If so, how does the ECM know this? Load on the DPS motor?
    3. When I adjust the toe, will the ECM recognize this after some riding and clear the code?
    4. Is there anything else besides a bad DPS unit that could be the issue (I read somewhere about a steering position sensor, I think)? Anything I can do in my garage?

I always appreciate the sharing of your knowledge and expertise.

Matt
    Could be ..... more so with the earlier models ..... The computer systems BRP uses have a very annoying OVER_LAP system .... My 08 GS pretty much spent it's life lit up like a Christmas tree .... but ran fine ... he only REAL problem I ever had was it went into LIMP mode while I was on the Jersey turnpike and the ambient temp was 105 F ..... the Spyder didn't like that at all ..... I made it to my sister's house, shut the Spyder off .... The next day the LIMP mode was gone ( and it was cooler ) .... I was unfamiliar with Spyders at the time and took it to the nearest dealer .... after spending $ 150.00 they told it was fine no issues ..... I learned a lesson - if your Spyder operates like normal - don't worry about it ..... except for a BRAKE fail warning , the system is very very touchy about low BRAKE Fluid .... a couple Tablespoone of fluid usually clears it up .... good luck ... Mike .... PS the more you read about other folks issues the more you will learn .... read them even if you don't have that problem - NOW, it may happen later ..... PPS - DON'T remove the fuse and drive it that way .... however removing it and then returning it may clear the code. Y ou can test if it's working likie this park the Spyder and try turning the handle-bars .... then start the engine and try again - now it should feel easier ....
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-28-2022 at 12:50 PM.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey Matt. Unless it’s a total DPS failure, the most common cause of what you have is low voltage to the DPS. And, it doesn’t have to really be that low. With most people it’s either a battery or battery terminal issue. Let’s say that you’ve ruled that out. On the other hand, you were maneuvering at low RPM and using a lot of DPS in your driveway. Your version of your charging system is only 500 watts, and that’s at highway speed RPM. It’s a magneto, not an alternator. So, it doesn’t put out much at all at low RPM or idle. The DPS is a power hog. Just look at the fuse ratings. So, under those conditions, it could have easily dragged the system voltage down, and set your warning. If that 12.7 volts was with the engine running, then that is way too low.

Historically then, that’s usually the issue. You can’t check the torque sensor or steering angle sensor without BUDS. If you charge your battery and the warnings don’t clear after continued riding, you’ll need to check into those other things.

The ECM doesn’t know what your toe on the front wheels is. It only knows about the power to the DPS system. Also, try checking for codes with the engine running and the warnings on. Provided that you were following the proper procedure for your GS, sometimes that’s more reliable. And if memory serves, it’s a different procedure with the engine running. It’s all in this forum someplace. Good luck.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Much appreciated, gentlemen. With the exception of the code, everything seems to be fine. I check again for codes while the engine was running and showing the MIL/Check DPS message - no active codes. The 12.7 V was not running - shows 13.8 while idling. The toe was way out of alignment - almost a half inch negative toe. I adjusted that. I'll make sure the battery is charged and we'll run it and see what happens. I have an appointment to get it into the shop, but they can't get it in until the end of September. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again.