Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19 MPG ?!?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It doesn't matter what Octane I use. I get the same millege whether I use 84.5 or 102. The only difference is the price.

Note: I aways use at least three tanks of the same ocatane when I experiment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    After reading all the discussion on the merits of running premium fuel in the spyder, I thought I would try it today. Filled up this morning with premium. Took a little ride about 125 miles with retread to have lunch with Amanda B. Since I didn't want to stop on the way home, I filled up with regular unleaded with 3 bars at 125 miles. When I pulled in my driveway my fuel light was on. WTH
    I had always gotten around 28-30 on regular until I tried this little experiment to see if I got better mileage with premium. ( I may have but only slightly) But I sure didn't expect my mileage to drop by a third when I went back.
    Ideas
    Dick
    If the gas you chose has a lot of ethanol in it, you may get better mileage with premium, since it generally has less ethanol. Just conjecture, mind you.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

I actually tried this on my way up to atlanta yesterday. I didn't really notice any difference in the mpg no matter which octane I used. I averaged about 150 miles per tank no matter what.
    Wow what a ride!! Love my spyder!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    After reading all the discussion on the merits of running premium fuel in the spyder, I thought I would try it today. Filled up this morning with premium. Took a little ride about 125 miles with retread to have lunch with Amanda B. Since I didn't want to stop on the way home, I filled up with regular unleaded with 3 bars at 125 miles. When I pulled in my driveway my fuel light was on. WTH
    I had always gotten around 28-30 on regular until I tried this little experiment to see if I got better mileage with premium. ( I may have but only slightly) But I sure didn't expect my mileage to drop by a third when I went back.
    Ideas
    Dick
    I guess my real question is, why would my mileage drop so dramatically when I switched back to regular(after only one tank of premium.) It looks like I took two steps backward. Like I said, I had always gotten 29-30 miles per gal on regular and now with this last tank it dropped to 22 +/- after the experiment. Is there something in the software that makes adjustments going to premium but may have failed to make an adjustment going back to regular.
    Dick
    Love my

Statistics show that most motorcycle accidents are caused by a defective nut holding the handlbars.

Spyder Garage

I got 27 mpg until the BRP "fix", now I get 18. I was told that was "within the normal range". Doesn't matter how I ride it, I get roughly 90 miles to a tank.

My dealer is 36 miles away - round trip is one tank.

BillGargan

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I got 27 mpg until the BRP "fix", now I get 18. I was told that was "within the normal range". Doesn't matter how I ride it, I get roughly 90 miles to a tank.

My dealer is 36 miles away - round trip is one tank.
    I don't know if your means of measuring your MPG is valid -- but, if your are getting 18 MPG there is a problem with your Spyder.

To ensure you are working with valid facts . . . Fill your tank and mark the mileage on the odometer. Then, each time you fill up over the next several tankfuls (3 is the absolute minimum -- more fills are better for accuracy) make note of the gallons you put in your Spyder at each fillup. After the 3 minimum fillups, make a note of the mileage on the odometer. Subtract the first measure from the the last measure and note the miles. Divide the cumulative miles by the sum of the gallons and note the result. For example, if your 3 tanks are 450 miles and your total gallons are 15.0 then you got 30 MPG.

The Spyder tank does not allow you to fill it once and measure the mileage accurately.

Check my mileage on the Fuelly link in my signature. You will see what I got for an average (34.5) over 25 tanks.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BillGargan View Post
    I don't know if your means of measuring your MPG is valid -- but, if your are getting 18 MPG there is a problem with your Spyder.

To ensure you are working with valid facts . . . Fill your tank and mark the mileage on the odometer. Then, each time you fill up over the next several tankfuls (3 is the absolute minimum -- more fills are better for accuracy) make note of the gallons you put in your Spyder at each fillup. After the 3 minimum fillups, make a note of the mileage on the odometer. Subtract the first measure from the the last measure and note the miles. Divide the cumulative miles by the sum of the gallons and note the result. For example, if your 3 tanks are 450 miles and your total gallons are 15.0 then you got 30 MPG.

The Spyder tank does not allow you to fill it once and measure the mileage accurately.

Check my mileage on the Fuelly link in my signature. You will see what I got for an average (34.5) over 25 tanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default better mpg

I filled up today and hit the 27 mpg... I think the biggest difference was my shifting and driving RPMs... so I appreciate what you all wrote on here- it really helped me out.

Thank you!
    Someone on here says, "It's not the destination, but the journey..." I totally agree!!