Spyder Garage

Default Did I do a bad thing? Put my money down on a S2S!

Well, I don’t think so. I put my money down on a Sea to Sky yesterday. I’ve never ridden a Spyder and no test ride available anywhere near due to availability, so this is a huge leap of faith for me.

Thanks to all the YT videos and this forum I’ve got a good idea of what I’m getting into. The SO was over the moon after sitting on the unit waiting for parts, so I had no problems getting her onboard with the purchase.

Dealer says maybe 40 days waiting for parts based on what they’ve been seeing.

Excited!
    2022 RT S2S
    It's easier to get forgiveness than permission

Spyder Garage

Congrats! Put your patience pants on and I am sure you will both be very happy with the addition to the family! Spyder not only comfy and stable but also just a blast to ride! Living in deer country I am particularly impressed with the stopping power and the handling under emergency stop conditions.
    2020RTL

Spyder Garage

I second the congratulations. We just picked up a 21 S2S for my wife and I am riding our 17 RTS (notice how SHE gets the newer Spyder!). If you've never ridden a Spyder before, I would really recommend you find a place that offers the 3-wheel riders course. I've taken the 2-wheel Basic Riders course twice, the advanced riders course and the 3-wheel course given on Spyder RTs. I never fail to learn something. I found it particularly helpful coming from 2 wheels but my wife had never ridden anything and loved it. It also helps in that, depending on your state, it will give you your license (yes, in most states you need an endorsement for a Spyder). I know that different folks on this Board have different thoughts about the course, but as a new rider I, personally, would recommend it. Have your SO take it also in case she needs to relieve you for some reason.

Spyder Garage

Congrats! Many have said it will take 500 miles before you get comfortable on it. They were right for me. The seat was comfortable right away - and the ride in a straight line was great. The curves will throw you off - or at least make you feel that way for a bit. It will take time, but it will be time well spent. I have a 21 with a few farkles - and love it. I still miss the lean, but after 6 knee surgeries, I just can't ride a 2-wheeler anymore. With that being the case, I am happy to be back on the road
    2021 Spyder RT-L in Deep Marsala Red/Black - BRP Comfort Seat, Adj Handlebar Riser, Running Board Lights, Driver Backrest, Passenger Armrests. Fobo TPMS, Grip Covers, UltraGard Full & Half Cover, Passenger & Driver Drink Holders, Wide-Vu Side Mirrors, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, SpyderExtras Aluminum Belt Tensioner, Show Chrome Accessory Fuse Block, SpyderExtras Adj Highway Pegs, Carbon Fibre Grills, Full Repair and Maintenance Manual, Kapplock Garmin Nuvo XT Lock & Ram Mount Lock, LidLox Handlebar Helmet Lock, Hopnel Dashboard Storage Pouch/Trunk Organizer/Side Cases, Garmin Nuvo XT GPS, Signal Dynamics Heads Up Voltage Monitor, M1 Motorsports F/R Dash Cam, inView Helmet-Mounted Brake and Turn Signal Light, Pedal Commander w/ Silicone Cover & RAM mount, Spyder Extras Driving Light Bar, Denali D3 Driving Lights, SpyderExtras Light Bar, TAC Designs Side Mirror Stabilizer Kit, Carbon Fibre Trim, Hi-Gain Short Antenna, Headlight Skins, Mirror Turn Signal Lights.

2021 RT Limited , Marsala Red/Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Actually IMHO " you have little to no idea of what your getting into " ... There are 100's of Spyders that get sold with very little mileage on them ( sad to say ) .... WHY .... because they were ridden very infrequently by their owners, for many, many reasons ... The handling characteristics of a Spyder / Rykers etc. are sort of unique. Most can adapt from Two wheeler's to three, but not all do. As far as learning to ride a Spyder , IMHO the " Never been on a two wheeler " folks are better off, they have nothing to UN-LEARN. ... Spyders and two wheeler's have little in common when driving ..... I hope you do Hope you succeed, and become as avid a rider as I am ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newdave View Post
    Well, I don’t think so. I put my money down on a Sea to Sky yesterday. I’ve never ridden a Spyder and no test ride available anywhere near due to availability, so this is a huge leap of faith for me.

Thanks to all the YT videos and this forum I’ve got a good idea of what I’m getting into. The SO was over the moon after sitting on the unit waiting for parts, so I had no problems getting her onboard with the purchase.

Excited!
    Ride, ride, ride - the more you ride the more you will enjoy it! When you get it, post some pictures of it and some of your rides.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2022 at 12:55 AM. Reason: ' 's ;-)

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ryde Ryde Ryde

...Spyder rydes are the best. Enjoy your Ryde Times and make sure you Stay Safe. The 'cagers' are blind to your Spyder so Stay in the 'Game'.

Lots of excellent TIPS posted by others.
    Check out the Tips on this Forum.
    Hopefully you and your SO can make it work.
    It was a 1000 mile learning process for me, but well worth it.
    Remember to Enjoy the change from 2 wheels to 3 wheels.
    I am sure you will find the way.

Stay Healthy. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Actually IMHO " you have little to no idea of what your getting into " ... There are 100's of Spyders that get sold with very little mileage on them ( sad to say ) .... WHY .... because they were ridden very infrequently by their owners, for many, many reasons ... The handling characteristics of a Spyder / Rykers etc. are sort of unique. Most can adapt from Two wheeler's to three, but not all do. As far as learning to ride a Spyder , IMHO the " Never been on a two wheeler " folks are better off, they have nothing to UN-LEARN. ... Spyders and two wheeler's have little in common when driving ..... I hope you do Hope you succeed, and become as avid a rider as I am ..... Mike
    I appreciate your input and can understand that, I've seen those low-mile cheap bikes too over the years.

I've got over 40 years of riding experience on two and three wheels (even had a Ural for a few years) so I'm confident I will get the hang of it soon. I will definitely miss the lean, but that's what the other bikes are for.
    2022 RT S2S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPod View Post
    I second the congratulations. We just picked up a 21 S2S for my wife and I am riding our 17 RTS (notice how SHE gets the newer Spyder!). If you've never ridden a Spyder before, I would really recommend you find a place that offers the 3-wheel riders course. I've taken the 2-wheel Basic Riders course twice, the advanced riders course and the 3-wheel course given on Spyder RTs. I never fail to learn something. I found it particularly helpful coming from 2 wheels but my wife had never ridden anything and loved it. It also helps in that, depending on your state, it will give you your license (yes, in most states you need an endorsement for a Spyder). I know that different folks on this Board have different thoughts about the course, but as a new rider I, personally, would recommend it. Have your SO take it also in case she needs to relieve you for some reason.
    Never hurts to take a course, no matter one's experience level. I'd love to take one, just need to find one near me and schedule it.
    2022 RT S2S

Spyder Garage

No you did not. Just get over the feeling that it is going to flip over and you will be fine. I've been on 2 wheelers for almost 50 years. I took right to the Spyder. Not much learning curve at all. These things are a blast to ride!
    Last edited by FrogmanDave; 07-11-2022 at 01:16 PM.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by newdave View Post

Excited!
    Answers will vary. After all, it's Monday. You made the decision. Go for it. Get out the Carly Simon song "Anticipation" and listen to that a few hundred times.

I did the same when Spyders first came out. I lived in AK in 2007 and they were not supposed to even have any dealers for another year or so. I put down a deposit in October of 2007. I got the first Spyder sold to a customer in AK. It arrived in June of 2008. No test rides, no looking at a real one....Na da. The dealer got two others. One for him and his spouse. Seven Spydrs and 200K miles later, still going strong. I do not regret my initial decision.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you're asking my opinion, I'd say yes you did. But only because I wouldn't buy a brand new top-of-the-line model for my first one. If you ride for a while and find you don't like it, it's easier to get most of your money back from a used model. But that's me and my financial situation.

Other than that, good deal and enjoy the ride.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have ever ridden an ATV of any sort, then a Spyder or Ryker is a piece of cake.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wahrsuul View Post
    If you're asking my opinion, I'd say yes you did. But only because I wouldn't buy a brand new top-of-the-line model for my first one. If you ride for a while and find you don't like it, it's easier to get most of your money back from a used model. But that's me and my financial situation.

Other than that, good deal and enjoy the ride.
    @Wahrsuul - I had to laugh a little at that statement because I did buy the top of the line for my first Spyder. I took my sister's F3 for a ride a few years ago, and started saving then for what I thought was going to be an RT-L, but delivery delays and one fateful phone call intervened, and I wound up with my blue beauty. I wouldn't change it for anything. Now my wife, she loves the comfort, but she still thinks my Victory was "cooler," (read not an old man's bike LOL).
    2022 Sea to Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

where in indiana are you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    where in indiana are you
    I'm in Avon. You?
    2022 RT S2S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage