Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    NO WAY will it make 65K miles w/out something going wrong w/ it. I'll bet the house on that one.
    I have 55 k, tell me more about your house...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, only 21 or fewer states have lemon laws that apply to motorcycles, as far as my quick research showed. (Michigan is not one of them.) If lemon laws applied universally, I think we would see a rosier picture, and much greater effort to do things in a more timely manner. I agree that two month plus for gasket sets is unacceptable. I'll bet even money that the production line didn't slow down for lack of gaskets. Perhaps that's even the root of the problem...production before parts.

HDX put it pretty bluntly, but I think he hit the mark pretty well. The Spyder is a fantastic concept, but it is a niche machine, by a small manufacturing division of a larger company who is not used to the demands of vehicles not marketed for seasonal, off-road use. I hope their struggles with stuff like this don't eventually make our Spyders join the ranks of the Buells, as out-of-production vehicles.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HDXBONES View Post
    Didn't you have the pulley issue recently?...........
    Yes...
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Spyder Garage

throwing my 2 cents in again but how many vehicles do we know of (cars or motorcycles) that could withstand the milage we put on these things.... without something going wrong....also we all forget i think sometime that most of these were first production vehicles .... i thought about selling mine for the RT but i will wait it out let them get some of the bugs out of them first then i will get one ... i know by owning 2 spyders one being a 2008 PE the other being a late model 2009 .... mine had more little picky problems that the 2009 doesnt have so improvements have been made and it's only been a year...
    just my opinion again....
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I'll bet you I could find a gasket kit sooner than a month. Something don't sound right about that. If you want I could make some phone calls.
    Seems hokey to me too.... I hope you get your Spyders back together soon and I hope I don't have this problem too as I approach 25K....
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Spyder Garage

Wow! That's just some sad lookin' pics right there. Is it me or does that head on shot make the Spyder look naked and pissed??

I'd see if Lamonster can help. He seems to be a great and reliable source of info.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    throwing my 2 cents in again but how many vehicles do we know of (cars or motorcycles) that could withstand the milage we put on these things.... without something going wrong....
    I have a relatively low 78,000 on my BMW R1100RT, and it has never had anything but standard periodic maintenance. My friend had over 230K on his when he got his new one. Only took one clutch and one throttle body in that time. My BMW R75/5 has a mere 60K (it's barely broken in for a Beemer) and has never seen a repair. I've had numerous cars that way, too. I've also had a few lemons. Luck of the draw to some extent, but there are some high marks out there.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderme View Post
    I had noticed that even when my Spyder was brand new the front sprocket and the retaining nut looked like they had been in the weather for ages. Do BRP keep their stocks of new parts outside or something?
    I had made mention in a previous post that I had white corrosion on my engine a few months after picking up my Spyder and I am meticulous in keeping it clean. I also don't ride in bad weather when I can help it.
    These photos look like you have been riding salt flats for the past 2.5 years. I know BRP have tried to keep the cost down, but if this is the price you pay for things like a lack of a coating on the engine, it doesn't make me feel very confident re longetivety of this machine and I only have the standard 2 year warranty. I have never seen this on a Japanese machine. I love the Spyder concept and the execution of it but this is just a lack of attention to detail in my opinion.
    But what Japanese machine would you ever attempt to ride in the winter with snow and salt on the roads?

While I'm not excusing the long wait - and I would be HOT about it - this is exactly why everyone should get the extended BEST warranty. $300 a year is a deal for having everything on the bike covered. You won't find car makers doing that. I plan I having the BEST warranty on mine as long as I plan on riding it--- which is why we all bought these--- right?

I'm not even sure if you can get such a warranty on an HD-- and keep renewing it?

They shouldn't waste the customers time looking for the cause of the problem--- just get the new parts in---- NOW --- and get them back on the road.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

Best case for us would be if BRP agreed to send out two of the new RT motors to stick in our Spyders (and throw in those longer A-arms for our troubles).
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Best case for us would be if BRP agreed to send out two of the new RT motors to stick in our Spyders (and throw in those longer A-arms for our troubles).
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Good luck with that one......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Good luck with that one......
    I figured they were just going to ship Lamont's RT-S to you. After all, you are closer, and his Spyder GS runs. If you're gonna dream...dream big!
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I suppose this is what we get for buying road vehicles from a toymaker. BRP seems to think these are just another snowmobile, ATV or Sea-doo. If the parts take forever to arrive, well, just put off playing for awhile, right. And dealerships should fill their inventories with ATVs they can't sell instead of Spyder spares. Good luck getting repair work with snowmobile season coming up. Meanwhile, people are depending on these machines to get them to work, or they are having vacations ruined, or they are being stranded far from home faceing ridiculous delays. I love the reverse trike concept but wouldn't it be great to be dealing with a REAL motorcycle company?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Neez View Post
    I suppose this is what we get for buying road vehicles from a toymaker. BRP seems to think these are just another snowmobile, ATV or Sea-doo. If the parts take forever to arrive, well, just put off playing for awhile, right. And dealerships should fill their inventories with ATVs they can't sell instead of Spyder spares. Good luck getting repair work with snowmobile season coming up. Meanwhile, people are depending on these machines to get them to work, or they are having vacations ruined, or they are being stranded far from home faceing ridiculous delays. I love the reverse trike concept but wouldn't it be great to be dealing with a REAL motorcycle company?
    Interesting point about the 'toy' aspect. I've always considered my Spyder a toy - but many (like crazy Nick C ) do use it for their every day transport. Here in Michigan, you really have no choice but to have another vehicle for the winter months.

BRP may not have really thought of these for daily transport -- and I think I can safely say that was not their main demographic when they came up with these.

I doubt the typical HD owner uses his bike for his everyday transport either.

Good point about them having all the other products they sell --- and the same techs to handle it all. My dealer doesn't sell any other brand of bikes. They sell ATV's, snowmobiles, PWC and boats. The Spyder is the only on-road product they really sell.

Spyder Garage

Default Spyder

Quote Originally Posted by mvengineer View Post
    I agree, those spyders look so bad as if they were from a junkyard not, a 2 year bike. I hope mine wouldnt look like this in two or three years. I am already thinking I will try to get any salvage value I could from the spyder, in a couple of years and buy another bike its name starts with an H.
    ONDA??

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING