Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Air compressor - anyone tried a Switch? & where is the fuse?

Has any ever but a switch to turn the air compressor on and off on a Spyder. Mine just pumps up 90 lbs in the air bag. I like to keep the air bag about 20 lbs.It has been to the dealer twice. Last time they changed out the censor that regulates the compressor. It is a 2019 under warranty but I am getting tired of taking back to the dealer.I would like to just have 20 lbs in the air bag. I weigh 160 lbs and ride alone all the time.

Other suspension problem here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...shock-leak-oil
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2022 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Expanded Title to briefly ask question ;-) Added link
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Lamonster Belt Tensioner w/ larger roller
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just pull the fuse. Add your 20 psi and you should be good. I am not sure if you would also have to unplug the pressure release valve.
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Were is the fuse located?
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gerald37 View Post
    Were is the fuse located?
    I cannot find the fuse for the air compressor. I found the two fuse boxes in the front trunk but I don't see a fuse for air compressor.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can anyone tell me where the fuse for the air compressor is at? I have found the two fuse boxes in the front trunk, but don't see a fuse marked for air compressor.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm the third owner of a 2014 RT-S and it came with the original owners manual which included fuse locations and functions. Perhaps BRP is saving money by not including such information in 2021 RT-Ls?
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    I'm the third owner of a 2014 RT-S and it came with the original owners manual which included fuse locations and functions. Perhaps BRP is saving money by not including such information in 2021 RT-Ls?
    I have the operator's Guide. It has where the fuses are located but I don't see any fuse for air compressor.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

gerald -- you are 100% correct -- the information isn't in the Operator Manual. Because the relevant component is a relay not a fuse which isn't in the Operator Manual.

For the 2014 RT-S it's LFB R4 Suspension Relay which is fed from RFB R4 Load Shedding Relay which is fed from RFB F5 which is fed from RFB J2 which is direct to battery positive terminal. Removing the relay might result in a fault code since its coil is driven by the digital cluster which might detect its absence.

PS my apologies for my inappropriate response to your very valid question.
    Last edited by BertRemington; 07-09-2022 at 08:45 PM. Reason: apology

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is there any simple way to disconnect the air compressor and not have it run? I just want to put 20 lbs. of air in the air bag and leave it. Nobody seems to be able to fit the automatic leveling system on my 2021 Spyder.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2022 at 08:58 AM. Reason: but - put ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

Is there any simple way to disconnect the air compressor and not have it run? I just want to put 20 lbs. of air in the air bag and leave it. Nobody seems to be able to fit the automatic leveling system on my 2021 Spyder.
    I'd suggest your best bet is to leave the compressor & the auto parts of the height levelling as it is pretty much system alone, but disconnect the air line going into the top of the air bag & the air line going into the Schraeder valve under the seat, and simply connect those two items with a single replacement air line running directly between the two! That way it leaves the ACS as it is still 'operational' for all intents & purposes, just completely isolated, & by doing so avoids any computer conflicts/issues; but it still lets you add/subtract air to/from the air bag via the Schraeder valve as & when you desire, running whatever pressure you choose!

This might be a little more difficult than simply pulling a plug or a fuse, but as many here have found, it just WORKS WELL; and doing anything else becomes messy &/or difficult very quickly, with the potential for causing more problems than it resolves!

In this case, expending a little more effort up front makes it & keeps it extremely simple from then on; and funnily enough,
    KISS (Keep It Simple, Silly) REALLY WORKS!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2022 at 09:19 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What is the average pressure in the air bag carrying a person weighing 165 lbs.? Mine is showing about 70 lbs. The compressor wasn't shutting down and going over 90 lbs. They changed the sensor and now it is between 65 & 70 lbs. Now I get a fault code C21E1 very time I ride. I shut the Spyder off for a little while and there is no Fault Code, but it comes back.

Other suspension problem here: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...shock-leak-oil
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 02-27-2024 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Removed Post title - they mess with Searching! ;-)
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Our 2018 F3-L needed to have the sensor reset. There is a process where the suspension is literally set on a block to establish reference point. The complaint was excessive bottoming out of suspension. After the reset, all is good. Ours doesn't have a pressure gauge on it to quote pressure.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2022 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Removed 'wrong section' comment - threads merged ;-)
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I finally read the history of your rear suspension.

PMK's analysis is very telling https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1636440

Your rear suspension and leveling system was damaged when the shock bolt loosened and the shock absorber failed. Likely the level sensor, linkage and even air spring (bag). While the sensor has been replaced, as pauly1 said it must be properly reset. But if mounting flanges etc have been damaged as PMK indicated was possible, there isn't a solution until that damage is repaired.

If your compressor is running continuously, you will soon be replacing it because the duty cycle is about 10% (ie, 1 minute On, 9 minutes Off) until it overheats.

If you are losing air pressure (say 2psi in 10 minutes) it's likely your air spring or air hose fittings were damaged when the shock absorber came loose. So back to the dealer.

Right now I'd say your summer riding season ain't looking good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Our 2018 F3-L needed to have the sensor reset. There is a process where the suspension is literally set on a block to establish reference point. The complaint was excessive bottoming out of suspension. After the reset, all is good. Ours doesn't have a pressure gauge on it to quote pressure.
    I don't have a pressure gage on mind, but I checked it with a tire gage under the seat. I just wonder what the pressure most people have. It would be higher riding two up.
    Last edited by gerald37; 07-10-2022 at 07:41 PM.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exclamation

gerald -- what is the objective of this topic?

Asking for a psi measurement most everyone doesn't know much care about?

Or fixing your obviously broken Spyder?

You bought a new Spyder, drove it 2K miles and discovered the selling dealer incorrectly prepared it.

Resulting in damage to the rear swing arm assembly including the shock and the automatic leveling system.

So you went to another dealer, earning negative loyalty points, and now they are just throwing parts at each increment of a series of problems just to get you to go away.

They ain't gonna do the deep digging to identify all the damage because you aren't a loyal customer and they are busy with the summer crowd.

So you have two choices.

(1) keep going back to the dealer to fix the next problem (probably the air compressor if it keeps running continuously as you seem to say) and then the next problem and the problem after that................ There's goes your summer riding season and maybe fall too.

(2) take it to a mechanic (probably motorcycle) who will dig into all aspects of the problem. You'll probably have to pay $100/hour and make sure you bring a service manual. Then take the list of problems back to the dealer and have them repaired under warranty.

Spyder Garage

I don't have a pressure gage on mind, but I checked it with a tire gage under the seat. I just wonder what the pressure most people have. It would be higher riding two up.
    While knowing what other people's ACS pressure is might be vaguely helpful, it's not really going to give you any specific or really helpful indication of what YOUR Spyder's air bag pressure should be to suit YOUR riding needs/wants, cos that pressure will vary in order to maintain your Spyder's pre-set Ride Height, & NOT to adjust the comfort or firmness or otherwise of your ride!

I've played with quite a few of these now, on Spyders ranging from 2010 right up to 2021, and the ACS doesn't set pressure as such, it sets the pre-set ride height, then adjusts the pressure to maintain that ride height as it varies, & the pressure can vary significantly between machines, even if they're ridden by the same rider over the same route in the same manner on a day with same sort of temps & conditions to every other ride! . You just don't know EXACTLY how your bike was set up vs how anyone else's was set up, and unless ALL of the variables AND the set-ups are IDENTICAL, INCLUDING the pre-set ride height and each individual rider's needs & wants, then you'd probably do just as well if not better by throwing a dart at a dart board while blindfolded and using whatever score you might get as your set pressure choice, cos as soon as you start to ride the ACS will adjust the air bag pressure to maintain the pre-set Ride Height!

So if YOU think it feels better for YOU at 20 psi or even at 70 psi, you'll be negating the pre-set ride height for your Spyder, but you can do that if you want by just bypassing all the auto stuff that will either vary it &/or give you grief, install a direct air line from the Schraeder valve to the air bag, and use YOUR preferred pressure, adjusting as you feel fit when your load &/or riding conditions vary- and possibly adjusting your ride height too!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2022 at 12:11 PM. Reason: .added Bold & underline on critical point that seems to be overlooked by many!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

+1 what they've said above. If you just want to ride and deal with the correction later, run a straight airline from the schrader valve under the seat to the top of the airbag, by-passing the ACS system. I did exactly that after the 2nd compressor fail and third check-valve failed on my 13 RTL. Never had a problem after that. As I'm heavy, I kept my manual air ride air bag set at 50lbs, if my wife was going on an overnight or longer road trip with me, we filled it to 90lbs (checked with a basic tire gauge) and if she thought it was too hard after a short ride then we let out 5lbs at a time till she was happy. But once that pressure was set, it stayed set for months unless I went and changed it. BUT I'd be pushing the selling dealer to replace that Spyder and cover all the costs you've incurred.. Contact BRP Customer Care yesterday. Get them working on it. They ought to cringe reading all the issues you've had. I hope your next Spyder is better than this one.
    Safe Rides,
    David and Sharon Goebel
    Both Retired USAF Veterans
    2018 Anniversary Edition RT Limited
    Baja Ron ultimate swaybar. Vredestein tires, Baja Ron Front Shock Pre-load adjusters, Pedal Box, See my Spyder Garage
    IBA 70020

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BertRemington View Post
    gerald -- what is the objective of this topic?

Asking for a psi measurement most everyone doesn't know much care about?

Or fixing your obviously broken Spyder?

You bought a new Spyder, drove it 2K miles and discovered the selling dealer incorrectly prepared it.

Resulting in damage to the rear swing arm assembly including the shock and the automatic leveling system.

So you went to another dealer, earning negative loyalty points, and now they are just throwing parts at each increment of a series of problems just to get you to go away.

They ain't gonna do the deep digging to identify all the damage because you aren't a loyal customer and they are busy with the summer crowd.

So you have two choices.

(1) keep going back to the dealer to fix the next problem (probably the air compressor if it keeps running continuously as you seem to say) and then the next problem and the problem after that................ There's goes your summer riding season and maybe fall too.

(2) take it to a mechanic (probably motorcycle) who will dig into all aspects of the problem. You'll probably have to pay $100/hour and make sure you bring a service manual. Then take the list of problems back to the dealer and have them repaired under warranty.
    I have purchased five motorcycles from this dealer. I just was wondering if 70 lbs of air in the air bag is normal. I do get a fault code when I ride it. it goes way after the bike says for about 10 minutes. But like you say I won't post on here again.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

gerald37...I have modified my air ride system to what I call "Air on demand"...I have a dash air gauge that shows the air pressure in the air bag...The dash rocker switch allows me to set my air pressure to anything I wish...The rocker switch also activates the dump valve to decrease the bag pressure...

I find for us riding 2 up the best static pressure is 80 lbs...That's setting still in the driveway with us both setting on the bike...If ride by myself I like the setting at 40 lbs...I weigh 260...

I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU TO KEEP POSTING AND ASKING QUESTION...

WE HAVE LOST WAY TO MANY KNOWLEDGE AND TALENTED POSTERS OVER THE YEARS FOR VARIOUS REASONS...

larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    gerald37...I have modified my air ride system to what I call "Air on demand"...I have a dash air gauge that shows the air pressure in the air bag...The dash rocker switch allows me to set my air pressure to anything I wish...The rocker switch also activates the dump valve to decrease the bag pressure...

I find for us riding 2 up the best static pressure is 80 lbs...That's setting still in the driveway with us both setting on the bike...If ride by myself I like the setting at 40 lbs...I weigh 260...

I WOULD ENCOURAGE YOU TO KEEP POSTING AND ASKING QUESTION...

WE HAVE LOST WAY TO MANY KNOWLEDGE AND TALENTED POSTERS OVER THE YEARS FOR VARIOUS REASONS...

larryd
    Thanks for the come back and information. This was the information I was asking for. I weight 165 lbs. and my automatic leveling says 65 to 70 lbs. That should be good.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2022 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question

Suspension failed on the drive home from the selling dealer who assembled the Spyder incorrectly and is apparently NOT the local dealer performing warranty service.

I picked up a new 2021 RT Limited today. On the way home about 100 miles I got on the dash about 5 times a message Suspension failure. ... The dealer where I purchased the bike is a 100 miles away. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1624037

15psi is the comfort pressure

I put 15 pounds of air in the air bag and that took care of my suspension failure and the ride is much better. ... I really like it over my 2019. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1624184

And then the suspension broke

Yes the dealer is trying. Especially I didn't purchase the bike from them. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1635139

When I got it I put 15 lbs in it and it rode great. ... The compressor just doesn't shut off. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1635177

I called the dealer today and they haven't found the compressor problem yet. They replaced the shock but have not found why the compressor keeps pumping up the airbag. They have had it 2 1/2 weeks now. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1636091

I called the dealer this morning to see what they found out.They said when the shock bolt dropped out it damaged the sensor to the compressor. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1636307

The dealer that is doing the work is not the dealer I purchased the Spyder from. They are doing it under warranty. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1636460

They said they replaced the censor that regulates the compressor. Same as before they must not have test rode it. It does the same as before. Ride it a short ways and it will have 90 lbs of air in the air bag. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1637422

Mine just pumps up 90 lbs in the air bag. I like to keep the air bag about 20 lbs. ... I would like to just have 20 lbs in the air bag. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...=1#post1637427

==========

Based on this history:

(1) 15-20psi is the comfort pressure

(2) the rear suspension including the leveling system is not fully functional

Spyder Garage

I've posted this before, and I've posted this in the other thread running atm asking about air bag pressure, but I'll copy it in here just for the helluvit, it might help some to understand what's going on with their ACS & the air bag pressure....

"
    I dunno why people are worried about the ACS Air Pressure!!

On Spyders with ACS, the air bag pressure automatically adjusts to maintain the pre-set Ride Height.... so the fact that you've got 5 psi in the bag or 95 psi in the bag is purely incidental & a direct result of your Spyder's pre-set Ride Height. . Nothing in the ACS will allow you to adjust that pressure for a given Ride Height & it might even vary significantly to maintain that given ride height in response to any of the variables that can otherwise cause changes in ride height, but you (or your dealer) can use BUDS to get your Spyder's Ride Height re-calibrated if you feel the need to vary that!!

So unless your Spyder's suspension is bottoming out or topping out all the time, which implies that the pre-set Ride Height is basically OK, then you really should just ignore the specific air bag pressure & just

Ride More, Worry Less - particularly about the air bag pressure,

cos that air bag pressure's probably gonna change either a little or maybe a lottle all the time in response to any variations in things like the load; the temperature; how hard you're braking; how hard you're accelerating; where you &/or your 'load' is placed on the bike, etc, etc, etc!!

The only real reason you might want to be bothered about the air bag pressure is to watch it to see if it fairly rapidly drops to zero, cos that means there's an air bag puncture, a dud relief valve, a dud compressor, or a dodgy height sensor; or to watch it to see if it starts climbing up over 100 psi & stays up there, cos that means you've got a dud height sensor or a dud relief valve! But apart from those extremes, the air bag pressure is purely incidental & can vary anywhere between about 5-10 psi & 90-100 psi AND STILL BE NORMAL!! It's simply trying to maintain your Spyder's pre-set ride height! "
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2022 at 12:15 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    I've posted this before, and I've posted this in the other thread running atm asking about air bag pressure, but I'll copy it in here just for the helluvit, it might help some to understand what's going on with their ACS & the air bag pressure....

"
    The only thing I don't like is after I go about 6 milesI get a message on the dash, suspension fault. Fault code C21E1. Shut the bike off for a little while the fault code is gone. I go about 6 miles and it is back on and message on the dash off and on.
    2021 RT Limited
    Asphalt Grey
    Lamonster RT phone mount
    Sena SMH-10
    Garmin's GPS

Spyder Garage

The only thing I don't like is after I go about 6 milesI get a message on the dash, suspension fault. Fault code C21E1. Shut the bike off for a little while the fault code is gone. I go about 6 miles and it is back on and message on the dash off and on.
    As I may have mentioned earlier, I don't have a code list that includes that particular code, but I believe it's reporting a Suspension Air Leak Plausibility Test failure; and if this is the case, it's very likely that it's simply telling you that:

• there's likely an air leak somewhere that is triggering the compressor to add air all the time;
    • the height sensor switch has failed & is triggering the compressor to add air all the time;
    • the bleed valve is leaking & is triggering the compressor to add air all the time; or
    • you keep on lowering the air pressure in the bag so much that it's triggering the compressor to add air all the time and as a result the system thinks there's an air leak problem!!

There could be more, BUDS might even have Test Procedures attached that could narrow it down a bit; but that Code is almost certainly just trying to get you to look at the ACS & check for air leaks & rectify them or whatever's causing the compressor to run all the time! By shutting your Spyder off every time you see that code, the system can't measure any more height loss while it's switched off, so the code clears; then after you start up & ride on, it takes about 6 miles or so before it gathers enough data again to tell it the ride height is too low before it retriggers the same code again!!

If you don't want to take it to a dealer to get that sorted under warranty, then it's up to you to either fix any air leak or whatever's causing the system to 'think' there's an air leak (because the ride height is too low ) or completely bypass the 'automatic' bits of the ACS & set your air bag's pressure manually, altho that is effectively negating the system's ability to adjust & maintain your Spyder's ride height in response to any changes while you ride....

But as I've said previously, the Air Bag PRESSURE itself is purely incidental & has no real bearing on this - and you continually playing with it & dropping it down to a level well below what the system believes is necessary to maintain the preset ride height may well be at least contributing to the problem!!

However, as other's have mentioned, I too believe that your shock issue has damaged something more than just the shock/shock bolt under there, probably either the sensor itself, the sector arm, or the bracketry that holds it all; and until you get all that damage sorted and the pre-set ride height recalibrated, so that you can leave the ACS alone to do it's thing, OR you bypass the ACS 'auto' bits completely, then you're going to have ongoing problems like this!

Just Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-11-2022 at 07:54 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

It's a NEW bike that they &$#@#$ up!!!! Take it back and tell them to fix it, it's really not that hard if they know what they are doing!!! Don't lay down and take it like this, fix it right, or find some one that will help you to make it a manual fill!!! good luck!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl