Spyder Garage

Question Will an a/mkt belt tensioner fix Drive noise 48-55mph? 2020 RTL

Im sure this has been discussed before but figure I would ask ;-)

I really think the noise is from the belt is more of a whine ( not obnoxious but its irritating) between 48 and 55 mph, otherwise it sounds normal.

I see La Monster offers a updated belt tensioner assembly or just the updated roller. Do these items do the trick?

Bike just turned 1500 miles and I suspect that the drive train is broke in by now.

TIA.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-09-2022 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Modified Title to briefly ask the question up front! ;-)

Spyder Garage

You're going to get all kinds of answers about this. Some say yes, some say no. For me it didn't.

Some will tell you to loosen the belt tension. I tried this to no avail.

There has been a new pully that was supposed to take care of this, a white pully. I have one but have not put it on.

I think it's more of a belt alignment issue. I have moved my belt out and away from the inside edge of the rear sprocket and for the most part my noise has stopped.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info, I'm going to hold off till it gets 1st service, it's just a minor annoyance.

Spyder Garage

Yea, mine did it in spades. Belt alignment helped, but the white pulley fixed it completely. Best return for $105 yet.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Escorial View Post
    Thanks for the info, I'm going to hold off till it gets 1st service, it's just a minor annoyance.
    ... The noise / vibes are a minor annoyance ..... How ever if the pulley FAILS and it shreds the drive belt ( this has happened a few times as reported by members ) ....How would you classify that ???? ..... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

With a 2013 RSS I used to own. I tuned (adjusted) the belt tension so vibration happened in a speed range outside of normal speed. Surprisingly my 22 doesn’t vibrate at all.
    22 RTL Hyper Silver. BajaRon sway bar, Lamonster bar riser, belt tensioner and big brake pedal…more to come.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeXP700 View Post
    With a 2013 RSS I used to own. I tuned (adjusted) the belt tension so vibration happened in a speed range outside of normal speed. Surprisingly my 22 doesn’t vibrate at all.
    Your 2022 RTL came from the factory with a dampener, hence, no vibrations.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... The noise / vibes are a minor annoyance ..... How ever if the pulley FAILS and it shreds the drive belt ( this has happened a few times as reported by members ) ....How would you classify that ???? ..... good luck .... Mike
    Why put up with it when the dampener makes it go away. I tried the belt adjustment and all it did was move the speed at which the vibration started. I check mine every few thousand miles just for my own peace of mind. If I ever get too damn lazy to do that you can bet the Spyder will be gone.

And to Escorial, no the dampener will not make the noise go away.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2022 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Your 2022 RTL came from the factory with a dampener, hence, no vibrations.
    I know. Also updated it to a Lamonster damper.
    22 RTL Hyper Silver. BajaRon sway bar, Lamonster bar riser, belt tensioner and big brake pedal…more to come.

Spyder Garage

Mine made that noise until my local dealer replaced the front sprocket with the newly designed white one. No more noise, which is good, because the vast majority of my riding is between those speeds.

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks all, will get sprocket at my 1st service

Spyder Garage

Why put up with it when the dampener makes it go away. I tried the belt adjustment and all it did was move the speed at which the vibration started. I check mine every few thousand miles just for my own peace of mind. If I ever get too damn lazy to do that you can bet the Spyder will be gone.

And to Escorial, no the dampener will not make the noise go away.
    ...Why ??? ..... because at worst it's a Minor Annoyance ..... however if it EATS your Drive Belt, that will be a Major annoyance ...JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Mike, not sure you have been on one that really vibrates. Ever seen one of those hand held concrete vibrators on an extension cable. Imagine that coming up thru your feet and out the top of your head. Don't want to go much under 140 or over 200 on the tightness. If I could push it to where the vibration was over 95 MPH I would be happy not running a dampner.

The only other option was to change out the front and rear sprockets and drive belt and hope for the best. Changed the front because of slight red dust, no change afterwards.

Spyder Garage

Mike, not sure you have been on one that really vibrates. Ever seen one of those hand held concrete vibrators on an extension cable. Imagine that coming up thru your feet and out the top of your head. Don't want to go much under 140 or over 200 on the tightness. If I could push it to where the vibration was over 95 MPH I would be happy not running a dampner.

The only other option was to change out the front and rear sprockets and drive belt and hope for the best. Changed the front because of slight red dust, no change afterwards.
    I haven't been on one that was that annoying .... I've owned Three spyders I lowered the tension on All three, that fixed any Vibe issues ..... Sorry to hear yours were worse .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

If I get to make my trip to Maine I'll stop by, tie it up and let you feel it.

Spyder Garage

If I get to make my trip to Maine I'll stop by, tie it up and let you feel it.
    Bring it to Durham, Me I would like to see what you guys are having for a problem!!!! It makes me shake my head every time it's brought up, After what you're saying you must feel like you're riding a HD!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl