Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Congrats again bro.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Glad you're pleased, Derwin, and on the road on three wheels at last.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Looking forward to those pictures and stories!
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheeldemon View Post
    Looking forward to those pictures and stories!
    Yeah, haven't seen any stories or pics yet . He's definitely too busy riding!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    Yeah, haven't seen any stories or pics yet . He's definitely too busy riding!
    Nah. Actually, I haven't ridden the bike since the last time I posted. The weather's just been too dang cold and/or wet out here, and I don't wanna take the chance of dropping the bike.

Give me time, though. I plan on taking to my brothers tomorrow for Halloween. He and his neighbors have a Cornhole tournament going, and I can't miss that!

Derwin

Spyder Garage

OK, ummmm, what is a cornhole tournament?????

Quote Originally Posted by Derwin View Post
    Nah. Actually, I haven't ridden the bike since the last time I posted. The weather's just been too dang cold and/or wet out here, and I don't wanna take the chance of dropping the bike.

Give me time, though. I plan on taking to my brothers tomorrow for Halloween. He and his neighbors have a Cornhole tournament going, and I can't miss that!

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    OK, ummmm, what is a cornhole tournament?????

This should answer that question perfectly....

Spyder Garage

I WANNA GO!!! Have an excellent time!

This should answer that question perfectly....

YouTube - The Cornhole Song

Spyder Garage

Well, I haven't posted in a while, and thought I would throw this question out to you guys.

As you know, I went ahead and bought the Piaggio MP3 500. Well, the seat seems to be really terrible, and I've decided to go with a custom seat.

A company called Russell Day Long is going to make me a seat just like this...

This is a seat that they did for somebody else, and I like it a lot. I especially like the backrest! My bike is all black, though, but I don't think that should matter much.

Russell offers this in all Vinyl or all Leather. The question I have is which one should I go with? I assumed leather is better, since it's more expensive. But people have told me that leather wears and cracks faster, and vinyl would be a better choice.

So, since I know that Lamont is an expert in these types of things, and this forum is loaded with experienced people who also know, I'm asking you all to help me out on this.

Should I go with all leather or all vinyl? And please give me the REASON for doing so.

I have a "Russell Pro Date" of January 18th. I guess this is when they will begin building my seat.

Thanks in advance for helping me out with this.

Derwin
    Last edited by Derwin; 01-02-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Spyder Garage

Pretty personal choice, Derwin. Leather wears like iron, so it lasts a long, long time. It is more susceptible to weather damage from water or sun, however, and is not waterproof unless you treat it. It is somewhat more clingy than most vinyls, and harder to slide on, which can be good or bad, depending on what you need. I happen to prefer vinyl, but that is strictly a personal preference. I love the leather look, but it is not practical for the way I ride and the weather I ride in.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Scotty.

I was told that leather cracks, and vinyl doesn't. Is that true?

Also, I don't ever foresee myself riding in the rain. I'll mainly be riding on nice days when the weather is at least 60 degrees. And the bike is being kept in the garage, so there shouldn't be any exposure to the sun.

All this considered, what do you think would be best? Russell charge about $150 extra for leather. Do you think I should go with it, or considering my situation, do you think vinyl would suite me better? I only ask because I have absolutely no experience with either one to draw upon.

By the way, can you tell if the seat I have pictured above is leather or vinyl?

Derwin

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I agree. I prefer leather, as I ride in a very hot climate and it tends to not burn my backside quite as much as vinyl, but a s stated, leather does require more upkeep to keep it nice. (Nothin a good dose of Lexol doesnt take care of in my case)
    Most seat companies state that you should have a rain cover for leather to keep it from soaking the foam, but Ive never had any issues with mine.

If you really want to get tricky, I believe Russel has the option of making the seat surface and side panels from different materials.

Spyder Garage

I've been searching the internet, and even googled the name, but I can't seem to find any AMERICAN forums that are dedicated to the Piaggio MP3.

Do you know of any forums dedicated to this vehicle?

Derwin
    I´m from austria - if you look in german forums - use the google-translation that will help you (also to learn a little german...)
    http://www.piaggio-mp3.de/
    (you will find out why : there are "spyderlovers" but no MP3-Lovers)
    chris
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyder Garage

http://www.maxi-scoots.com/postnuke/...=viewforum&f=9

Not sure if they are in the U.S. though - can't find where it says that but it's all in English

Spyder Garage

In reality, hardened old vinyl cracks even more readily than hardened leather. Proper conditioning can keep the leather supple. Vinyl needs no conditioning, but will eventually fail from UV light (sunlight) and heat. This can take decades with good storage, or a couple of years outdoors, year round, through summer and winter. Vinyl snags more easily. It also repairs more easily. I have original vinyl seats on motorcycles that are fifty years old. Most crack before that, however. A leather seat can last forever if well cared for. Doubt you'll have the MP3 that long, though, eventually you're gonna want a Spyder...LOL.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Here is a forum for you - http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/forum13

My son has an MP3 - we make quite a site riding down the road, and double the rock star effect when stopped!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice. I want to especially thank Scotty for taking the time to send me personal emails outlining the differences between vinyl and leather, and which may be better or worse for my particular situation. Taking time out of his day to help a brother out is real class, and I appreciate it more than I could ever say.

After taking everything into consideration, I've decided to get the leather seat and backrest from Russell. It seems to be the right decision for what I want to do with this bike.

Thanks again to everybody. . . Your the best!

Derwin

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the advice. I want to especially thank Scotty for taking the time to send me personal emails outlining the differences between vinyl and leather, and which may be better or worse for my particular situation. Taking time out of his day to help a brother out is real class, and I appreciate it more than I could ever say.

After taking everything into consideration, I've decided to get the leather seat and backrest from Russell. It seems to be the right decision for what I want to do with this bike.

Thanks again to everybody. . . Your the best!

Derwin
    My 2 cents on leather care
    This is the best stuff Ive found for leather so far
    http://www.lexol.com/
    If you have a tack shop anywhere near you, you can prob find a big bottle for a good price.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    My 2 cents on leather care
    This is the best stuff Ive found for leather so far
    http://www.lexol.com/
    If you have a tack shop anywhere near you, you can prob find a big bottle for a good price.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Well, they are charging me $675 for the seat itself in ALL LEATHER. Then the backrest is costing me an extra $270. Then I'm having them put in a "heavyweight suspension" at the cost of another $45.

So the total cost for this seat will be $990, but that don't include shipping. Also, I'm having them embroider a custom design on the backrest, and that is going to cost a bit more.

So, when it's all said and done, this seat is going to cost me around $1100 to $1200 including shipping and everything.

IS THIS TOO MUCH MONEY TO SPEND ON A CUSTOM SEAT?

I have no idea, and thought maybe some of you can help me out with this. Am I being taken to the cleaners, or is this pretty typical for a custom seat?

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Well, they are charging me $675 for the seat itself in ALL LEATHER. Then the backrest is costing me an extra $270. Then I'm having them put in a "heavyweight suspension" at the cost of another $45.

So the total cost for this seat will be $990, but that don't include shipping. Also, I'm having them embroider a custom design on the backrest, and that is going to cost a bit more.

So, when it's all said and done, this seat is going to cost me around $1100 to $1200 including shipping and everything.

IS THIS TOO MUCH MONEY TO SPEND ON A CUSTOM SEAT?

I have no idea, and thought maybe some of you can help me out with this. Am I being taken to the cleaners, or is this pretty typical for a custom seat?

Derwin
    On a custom show bike, no
    on a scooter yes

But if it makes you happy and you have the money to blow then go for it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    On a custom show bike, no
    on a scooter yes

But if it makes you happy and you have the money to blow then go for it.
    Well, I don't really have the money to "blow", so now I don't know what to do. I have some extra money to buy this, but it's really not "extra money"!

I just don't like the stock seat on this MP3 500, and really wanted a backrest.

Lamont, do you know of any other place (other than Russell) that would be able to help me out for a much cheaper price? Really I just wanted a backrest added to my current seat.....that would actually suite me fine.

But if I don't find another cheaper place, then I'll just go with Russell. I already have my seat boxed up and ready to ship to them. But, as always, I'm having second thoughts on this because of the price!

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Wow! The price on that is only $215....That's a heck of a lot cheaper than getting a new custom seat from Russell.

Dang, I really like the look of this seat and backrest from Russell...

But even though I really like the look of it, I am having problems justifying the cost. And now that you gave me a much cheaper option with the backrest, I am even more torn up over this!

OK. Lamont... What would YOU do?.... WWLD

If YOU owned this, and it was your ONLY ride, what would you do (besides kill yourself!) in regards to this seat?

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Never liked the look of the Russell so I would go with the UT