Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derwin View Post
    I guess brilliant minds think alike!

I wish I could postpone this, but I just can't.
    Well, send up a few prayers for me if you get a couple extra moments in your day. I have a feeling I'll need them!

Derwin
    Derwin, depending on your vehicle or a friends, rent one of those small enclosed Uhaul trailers - they usually have them as All Day Rentals - it should be under $30 bucks for one that would hold the MP3. Tie it down well and trailer it home. A little work, but that should be easy in comparison to a wet, cold, nerve-wracking ride home.

If you can't get it arranged before pick-up time, call the dealership where the guy is buying the bike and see if you can "store" it there until the weather breaks - sounds like they are making a sale and it would not be skin off their noses to help you out. It is worth a try.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

I just checked, and it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. As I've said, I have never driven a bike for this distance before, and I've certainly NEVER driven one in the rain. So, any suggestions that anyone can give me so I don't kill my self bringing this baby back home?

Actually, I'm a bit scared.

Derwin
    Plan out a route with two-lane highways only. Stay off the interstate and take plenty of time. We'll keep you in our prayers. Godspeed!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

on your new MP3! Enjoy it And you can always get a down the road. Just ryde safe and keep coming here to keep us posted on your adventures!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Smylinacha View Post
    on your new MP3! Enjoy it And you can always get a down the road. Just ryde safe and keep coming here to keep us posted on your adventures!
    Thanks. I really, really appreciate everybody's good wishes.

Hey, I should ask Lamonster to create a special little section for "Derwin's Piaggio Adventures"! LOL! I think most people here know that I have a gift for gab anyway, so may as well have my own section! Heck, I've even been known to talk for hours on a subject I know nothing about!

Anyway, I'll keep everybody updated.

Derwin
    Last edited by Derwin; 10-15-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Yeah, ask Lamonster to put a Derwin folder in here so we can hear all about your road trips on the MP3!

Thanks. I really, really appreciate everybody's good wishes.

Hey, I should ask Lamonster to create a special little section for "Derwin's Piaggio Adventures"! LOL! I think most people here know that I have a gift for gab anyway, so may as well have my own section! Heck, I've even been known to talk for hours on a subject I know nothing about!

Anyway, I'll keep everybody updated.

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Default Hope you enjoy your new ride.

Hope the machine works out for you. Keep us posted.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I'll tell you what, I would have bought one and paid $7000 for it if the Spyder wasn't in my garage.
    I love the front end reminds me of a grasshopper... we all end up riding a bug anyway!

Enjoy it, beats the heck out of staying home and reading all these blogs.

Now you can tell us how much you enjoy your ride... an share your adventures with all of us.

WELCOME MP3 LOVER
    Last edited by Motza; 10-15-2009 at 08:28 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trailer It Home!!

I know this is not Spyder related, but since I've been a part of this incredible community for around 2 years now, I thought I would come to you for some input/advice about the following...

As many of you know, I've been trying to get up the money to purchase a Spyder for about 2 years now, but still haven't been able to "get it up". Well, I have now been presented with an opportunity to purchase a 2009 Piaggio MP3 500 for only $4,000. It's not a "done deal" just yet because the guy has to check on a few things, but he did agree to sell it to me for that price if things on his end work out.

Here's the bike I am considering...

I figured that this would be the PERFECT thing for me to buy (especially at this price!) since coming up with the cash to buy a Spyder doesn't seem to be in my foreseeable future.

So, my question is this.... Should I move forward and do this? What do you guys think of (first) the deal; and (second) what do you think of the Piaggio MP3 500 as a vehicle in and of itself?

And, PLEASE, don't get me wrong here.... I am NOT attempting to say that the MP3 is in ANY way an "equal replacement" for the Spyder, nor am I trying to compare this vehicle with the Spyder in ANY way whatsoever. We all know that NOTHING compares to the CanAm Spyder. Period.

I should be finding out TODAY whether or not this deal is going through.

Any and all input on this will be much appreciated.

You guys are the best!

Derwin
    Trailer it home....Rain or Shine!! As a former MSF Instructor a very high percentage of serious accidents occur to new riders with new units.Pay the dealer to deliver it ....or rent a trailer and haul.Practice on a large deserted parking lot and build a learning curve before hitting congested roads!!
    If you are riding scared your reflexes are compromised.....so don't rush it and be sorry.Practice on a closed loop will build your confidence....then ride and enjoy!! Good Luck!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buelldog View Post
    Trailer it home....Rain or Shine!! As a former MSF Instructor a very high percentage of serious accidents occur to new riders with new units.Pay the dealer to deliver it ....or rent a trailer and haul.Practice on a large deserted parking lot and build a learning curve before hitting congested roads!!
    If you are riding scared your reflexes are compromised.....so don't rush it and be sorry.Practice on a closed loop will build your confidence....then ride and enjoy!! Good Luck!!
    This is what I should have said! 100%.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motza View Post
    Enjoy it, beats the heck out of staying home and reading all these blogs.

Now you can tell us how much you enjoy your ride... an share your adventures with all of us.

WELCOME MP3 LOVER
    LOL! Yep. Now I'll have SOMETHING to talk about, rather than just babbling on about OTHER peoples experience! It will definitely be a good change.

Quote Originally Posted by Buelldog
    Trailer it home....Rain or Shine!! As a former MSF Instructor a very high percentage of serious accidents occur to new riders with new units.
    Oh, crap. Now I'm really scared!

Well, we leave for the dealership at 10:30am Friday, and will see if there is a rental place somewhere to trailer this thing back home. But, hey, if I have to ride it back, then so be it. Hopefully I WON'T be in that "high percentage" that you mentioned.

C'mon, Lamont... where's my "Derwin" folder?

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Oh, crap. Now I'm really scared!

Well, we leave for the dealership at 10:30am Friday, and will see if there is a rental place somewhere to trailer this thing back home. But, hey, if I have to ride it back, then so be it. Hopefully I WON'T be in that "high percentage" that you mentioned.

Derwin
    Derwin, it is the "scared" part that is the problem - even an experienced rider who is apprehensive will not retain all the instructions they get. Add bad weather plus the fact this is the longest ride you have ever done on a vehicle you have never ridden, the bottomline is that you are putting yourself at unnecessary risk. I would not do it in your position.

If you can't get a trailer, really, talk to the dealership and have them keep it overnight so you can pick it up and trailer it home. They probably have a bike shop and one more bike sitting there is not a big deal. It will give you time to get the trailer and tie down equipment.
    If the dealership is able, they might have a trailer and the equipment for you to trailer it home. It might be an extra trip, but it should be worth it.

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

In the past I owned an MP3 while awaiting my Spyder. It was a lot of fun and if I had enough room I would still own it.

Spyder Garage

Default I got it home at last!

For those that have been following my story, I finally went to pick up the MP3 and got it home! I AM ONE VERY HAPPY CAMPER!

Here's the first picture I took of it in my garage (after unloading it off the trailer)...

I still can't believe that I got such an INCREDIBLE deal on this baby. I gave the gentleman $4,000 Cash, and this thing looks showroom new, with just 1 or 2 very minor exceptions. It's not a Spyder.....not even close.....but it was what my budget could afford at this time in my life. Glory Be! I finally have a reverse trike vehicle on the road!

By the way, I took the very sage advice of many people here to TRAILER this thing home instead of riding it the 1 to 2 hours back home.

Here it is right after arriving home with it on the trailer....

Guess how much the trailer costs to rent? JUST $14.95!!! It's probably the BEST $15 bucks I spent in my life!

Thanks to everybody for the encouragement and for all of the incredibly good advice. I appreciate it more than you know.

Yep. I am a happy man.

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Default Congratulations!

For those that have been following my story, I finally went to pick up the MP3 and got it home! I AM ONE VERY HAPPY CAMPER!
    Yep. I am a happy man.

Derwin
    Good news. It looks great.

Enjoy

Tom

Spyder Garage

You are right, Derwin, that is the best $15 you ever spent! Have loads of fun with your new ride.
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Good decision!! Now you can get used to your new ride at your own pace instead of jumping in with both feet in lousy weather on your very first ride. I trailered my Spyder 3 hours home from when I bought it used. First thing I did was parking lot practice. I'm glad I trailered it home! Took a bit for me to get used to.

Enjoy your new ride. You got a fantastic deal!! Hope it provides you lots of fun!!
    Marilyn

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Now you can ride and also learn all about your MP3 from the forum below:

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/index.html

Spyder Garage

Default THIS JUST IN ... BRP NEW MP3 ACCESSORY

BRP now offers axle extentions for MP3's for that Spyder look and feel

Can Tatt2r photoshop the Spyders wheels and axle and bring them closer to the body.

There you go the new Spyder MP3 RS

Enjoy your new toy!

COME ON TATT2R... LETS SEE YOUR PHOTOSHOP AT WORK!
    Last edited by Motza; 10-20-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Congrats bro.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

I first was looking at the MP3 until I saw the Spyder and then I was hooked but prior to that I looked and wished for a Rewaco Trike (out of Las Vegas). $25,000 scared me off. Has anyone had any experience/exposure to the trike?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Soderlin View Post
    In the past I owned an MP3 while awaiting my Spyder. It was a lot of fun and if I had enough room I would still own it.

Spyder Garage

Tatt2r still waiting for your MP3 Spyder

Spyder Garage

Tatt2r still waiting for your MP3 Spyder

I already did it with Spyder#353 in an old post:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...81&postcount=7

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

You are too funny!

BRP now offers axle extentions for MP3's for that Spyder look and feel

Can Tatt2r photoshop the Spyders wheels and axle and bring them closer to the body.

There you go the new Spyder MP3 RS

Enjoy your new toy!

COME ON TATT2R... LETS SEE YOUR PHOTOSHOP AT WORK!

Spyder Garage

Derwin - I AM SO PSYCHED FOR YA!!!!!!!!!! Please keep us posted and take lots of pics of all your adventures!!!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default First Day on my Mini-Spyder!

I just took my FIRST ride on the bike last week. I went to visit my cousin in Joliet, and then went over to my younger brothers house in Lockport, about 40 minutes away. I had a BLAST riding this thing! The only thing though... I stayed at my brothers house to play Cornhole (bag toss) and to watch the Bears game. But when I left his house it was 44 degrees outside. I FROZE MY BUTT OFF GOING HOME!

The Piaggio MP3 is far better than I ever even imagined....really. It handles so incredibly smooth, and this 500 has far more power in it than I will ever need! The overall quality of this Italian made bike is superior to anything that I've experienced so far (although I have no experience!). Like I said, I absolutely love this bike!

As time goes by I'll be posting pics and videos. But with the temperature continuing to drop in Chicagoland, I don't expect to be riding it much anymore until springtime.

A few days ago it reached 60 degrees, and I decided to get in what most likely was my last game of golf for the season.

Did I mention that I LOVE my MP3 500?

Derwin