Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Never liked the look of the Russell so I would go with the UT
    Ah, crap. I don't know what I'm gonna do now.

I have to sit back and think about this.

Thanks for the input, Lamont. I really appreciate it.

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Sort of sounds like you want the expensive seat without the cost! Such a dilemma!!!

Me? I'm cheap. I'd go with the less expensive option. But you should think on it, then do what you want to do. It's your bike!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    Sort of sounds like you want the expensive seat without the cost! Such a dilemma!!!
    Yepper... You got me pegged!

I just really like the look of the Russell seat very, very much. It looks good, and it look so comfortable. I like the way they split the seat so it's in two parts. But, dang, the cost is so outrageous!

I'm a cheap sucker also, but I thought since this is the ONLY bike I own, I would go ahead and splurge to make it look and feel good.

So the next question.... Is there a way I could create the Russell seat MYSELF, or by some other company, at a much cheaper price? I know, I'm reaching now, but thought I would at least ask!

Derwin

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I've pretty much always had the money to get most anything I wanted. but I'm also cheap. Can't tell you how many times I have bought a cheaper version of something i wanted. Only to keep it a few months, be dissatified, and went back and bought the orginal item I was looking at. Would have been much cheapier, and less trouble to have bought the orginal item to start with. Not to say I wouldn't look for a cheaper price for the orginal item. Still usually it is cheapier in the long run to get what your happy with, instead of buying something else ONLY because it is cheapier.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwfranklin View Post
    Still usually it is cheaper in the long run to get what your happy with, instead of buying something else ONLY because it is cheaper.

Good advice. But like Lamont said, it just so much money to spend on this "scooter", even though it retails for right under 10 grand. It's just a lot of money.

I would actually love to find a way to make this seat myself, if possible, or to find another place to do it for only a couple hundred dollars. But I know I'm probably asking for something that doesn't exist.

If I only knew how Russell put that seat together, I think I would be able to manage doing it myself. I wonder if they would send me the blueprint to the seat? lol. Yep, I'm dreaming.

If there's no other source, or no way I can do this myself, then I think I'll just go ahead with Russell. But it's gonna hurt!

Derwin

Spyder Garage

But your butt will be happy! So it will only hurt when you are not sitting in it!!!
    Marilyn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derwin View Post
    Yepper... You got me pegged!

I just really like the look of the Russell seat very, very much. It looks good, and it look so comfortable. I like the way they split the seat so it's in two parts. But, dang, the cost is so outrageous!

I'm a cheap sucker also, but I thought since this is the ONLY bike I own, I would go ahead and splurge to make it look and feel good.

So the next question.... Is there a way I could create the Russell seat MYSELF, or by some other company, at a much cheaper price? I know, I'm reaching now, but thought I would at least ask!

Derwin
    Remember, unless you are a mutant, and have eyes in your caboose, you never see the seat while you are riding. Looks don't count if your butt is happy!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Remember, unless you are a mutant, and have eyes in your caboose, you never see the seat while you are riding. Looks don't count if your butt is happy!
    I know, Scotty. But the seat APPEARS to be so very comfortable. And I know the stock seat kind of hurt my hind-end when I rode the bike to Indiana a few months ago.

So, the seat looks good, but it also looks like it will help my back and butt at the same time....So it's the best of BOTH worlds!

I'm still thinking about this, though, since Lamont showed me this other company with the backrest alone for only $215. The price is perfect, but now I just have to decide whether I really want to just have the backrest, or the entire seat changed.

Good grief... I never figured owning a bike could be so complicated!

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Derwin, you're planning on getting a Spyder, right? So take the total for the Russell seat, buy the cheaper one, and put the extra in a special account for your Spyder.
    Now, just to confuse things a little more, I've got a Russell seat on my
    Spyder, best comfort mod I've done.

john

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Derwin, you're planning on getting a Spyder, right? So take the total for the Russell seat, buy the cheaper one, and put the extra in a special account for your Spyder.
    Yeah, that's probably what I SHOULD do. But that's no fun!

I am planning on getting a Spyder one of the days, probably when the 3rd or 4th edition comes out! But I have this bike right NOW, and I want to enjoy it.

Now, just to confuse things a little more, I've got a Russell seat on my Spyder, best comfort mod I've done.
    Now that's no help at all! lol. You have a Russell seat, and you love it. Now I'm back leaning towards just getting that thing. How much did you spend on YOUR seat? Did it cost around $1,000? Just curious.

Derwin

Spyder Garage

To save a few bucks, can't you get the Russell option that has leather seating surfaces and vinyl everywhere else? Or just get the rider / driver portion with leather and get the passenger portion as vinyl? My wife and I have Russell's on our Spyders and really like it. We got in on their group buy discount and saved 20 - 25% off the base price. I think our Russell's only cost around $600 - $700. I'd be surprised if you had to pay more for their saddle rebuild for your MP3 than we payed for Spyder saddles. Give them a call, don't just try to figure pricing off their website. If they are doing the group buy thing this winter, you may still be able to get in on it.

For our seats, I got vinyl with velour seat surface and heavyweight suspension on the rider seat only and they kept the passenger portion as stock, just recovered it with their vinyl. Debbie got vinyl with leather on the rider seat surface and kept the passenger portion as stock. We saved some money by not having them upgrade the foam for the passenger seat as we rarely, if ever, carry a passenger.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Just looking at the Russell page, I see you can save $100 by going with the vinyl / leather combo instead of going with all leather. Also, are you sure you need the backrest? I think that by just having an improved seat with more supporting foam, a lot of back pain can be alleviated. I had thought a backrest would be a lot better than not having one but when I got an add on backrest, I found I really didn't use or need it. Having more butt comfort eliminated a lot of squirming in the saddle which I think contributed to back pain.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    To save a few bucks, can't you get the Russell option that has leather seating surfaces and vinyl everywhere else? Or just get the rider / driver portion with leather and get the passenger portion as vinyl?
    I could, but it would only be a small amount. As for the passenger portion.... there is none. My seat is a SOLO seat, with no passenger seat.

Quote Originally Posted by bjt
    Also, are you sure you need the backrest?
    The MAIN reason for getting this in the first place is for the backrest. The entire package is the Solo seat, All Leather, with heavy duty spring, with backrest, and with custom embroidery on the backrest.

The total cost will be around $1,000...a little more with shipping.

I'm going to ask them about any kind of group discount, though. Do you know exactly what I can ask for? If I can save a little by doing this, I'll at least give it a try!

Derwin

Spyder Garage

First, call them. Ask if you can get in on the group buy for this year. I got in on last year's, and my cost, vinyl half moon with backrest and shipping was under $800. There are other options, Mustang, Optima, Saddlemen, and more. Check them all out, they all do decent work or they couldn't stay in business.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Your Gonna Think I'm Completely NUTS!

Well, I know you all are going to think I'm completely NUTS, but I've decided to SELL my Piaggio MP3. It's been sitting in the garage for a couple months now due to the weather here in Chicagoland, and I've had a lot of time to really think things over.

The one thing that I CANNOT get beyond is the fact that I find myself coming to THIS WEBSITE, and yearning for a CanAm Spyder. I just desire to own one SO MUCH, that I've actually begun to get depressed every time I even THINK about the Piaggio sitting in the garage.

One person made the comment to me in this forum that "you'll never be satisfied if it's not what you REALLY want..", or words to that affect. Well, he was right! I just bought this thing, and it's in "showroom new condition" practically. Up until just the other day I was planning on getting a custom Russell seat made for it. Heck, I was just trying to do anything possible to make this like a Spyder. But, alas, it is NOT a Spyder, and there's nothing that I can do to the thing to make it into one.

Anyway, I'm selling it now, and if anybody is interested in buying it, please give me a call at 815-315-0321 or email me at dbeushausen@gmail.com

It's the Demon Black MP3 500 with a box on the back, along with the touring windshield. It has about 5900 miles on it, and looks showroom new. Whatever I get for this will go directly into my SSA (Spyder Savings Account).

Thanks.

Derwin