Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder / Piaggio MP3 500 Need Advice

I know this is not Spyder related, but since I've been a part of this incredible community for around 2 years now, I thought I would come to you for some input/advice about the following...

As many of you know, I've been trying to get up the money to purchase a Spyder for about 2 years now, but still haven't been able to "get it up". Well, I have now been presented with an opportunity to purchase a 2009 Piaggio MP3 500. It's not a "done deal" just yet because the guy has to check on a few things, but he did agree to sell it to me for that price if things on his end work out.

Here's the bike I am considering...

I figured that this would be the PERFECT thing for me to buy (especially at this price!) since coming up with the cash to buy a Spyder doesn't seem to be in my foreseeable future.

So, my question is this.... Should I move forward and do this? What do you guys think of (first) the deal; and (second) what do you think of the Piaggio MP3 500 as a vehicle in and of itself?

And, PLEASE, don't get me wrong here.... I am NOT attempting to say that the MP3 is in ANY way an "equal replacement" for the Spyder, nor am I trying to compare this vehicle with the Spyder in ANY way whatsoever. We all know that NOTHING compares to the CanAm Spyder. Period.

I should be finding out TODAY whether or not this deal is going through.

Any and all input on this will be much appreciated.

You guys are the best!

Derwin
    Last edited by Derwin; 01-02-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

Just pony up and get a Spyder. Come on Derwinator, 2 years! Motivate!
    Are ya pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

Happy owner of PE# 52 silver, hindle, fog lights, trim kit, touring windshield, sportrack, backrest.

BillGargan

ABSOLUTELY Do not buy until you extensively test-drive it.

Talk to a dealer and glean what you can from them.

It has a top speed of 89. Not sure how quickly it gets there.

If it can live up to the hype -- it appears to be something that will be fun.

Cannot comment on the price.

Spyder Garage

In my past experience when I "settle" on something, I usually am not happy with myself. I feel that I failed to meet my goal. If I was really set on a , I would push myself to find a way to meet the goal (second job, spend less money on other things, etc.). I did valet work on the weekends a few years ago when I was changing jobs. How funny it was to see a middle aged guy chasing after cars! With the extra income I made working 12 hours extra a week, I would have been able to purchase a new in a year.

Don't get me wrong, over-extending your financial situation would not be a good idea. Living beyond your means seems to be normal in today's world, but use common sense.

You did not mention if you would consider a used . In today's market, a used would allow you to save thousands of dollars.

I don't doubt that you would have fun on the Piaggo MP3 and I agree that there is a large difference in price, but the real question is how bad do you want a ? Bad enough to work two jobs, etc.? If not, then you are not settling; but have found the right toy at the right price.

David
    Last edited by ntxYguy2009; 10-15-2009 at 11:06 AM.
    David
    McKinney, TX

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ntxYguy2009 View Post
    In my past experience when I "settle" on something, I usually am not happy with myself.
    Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Remember,"you get what you pay for".

Spyder Garage

I have not tried a Piaggio MP3 500, but I did test ride the 250. My wife ooked at them a year before the Spyder came out, and seriously considered one, but the 250 was too slow. It is a pretty neat machine. Some good technology and engineering, much like the Spyder. There is even a little bit of an aftermarket for it. I saw one with the biggest windshield I have ever seen on a motorcycle in my life!

The 250 is not a fast ride, the 500 would be better. Still probably a lot more of a commuter and backroads bike than a superhighway cruiser. I'm sure you could have fun with it. Much narrower than the Spyder, so it isn't as stable. No learning to ride it, though, since it leans and steers more conventionally. Slow speed handling is phenomenal! It is fun to pull up to a stoplight and just punch the button instead of putting your feet down.

I wouldn't consider one in lieu of the Spyder, but I would ride one if I owned one. If one came along at the right price, and there was room in the overstuffed garage, I would probably go for it.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

If the MP3 is A OK that's a terrific price. But the big thing to consider is even for having the two wheels up front, it's much more like a 2 wheeled motorcycle than a Spyder. I've heard it is possible to time the stabilizer switch as you come to a stop so you don't have to put your feet down at stops. But it takes quite a bit of practice to get to that point.

We have a Piaggio dealer near here. So I see MP3's around on the road. There are videos on YouTube of someone doing ridiculous figure 8's on an MP3. They lean like crazy. But they also can fall over. Something a Spyder won't.

It's your personal choice. It's close to what my choice was when I was leaving 2 wheels behind. The test ryde on the Spyder made my choice for me. I felt so much more comfortable and confident that I could ryde the Spyder, which meant I would ryde the Spyder that there was no contest. The Spyder also gives me the ability to have my husband on the back. NO WAY could I do that on the MP3. So my choice to save my pennies and get the Spyder has paid off big time. I'm very happy I did not go through an MP3 phase on my way to deciding to get a Spyder.

My personal opinion is that the Spyder is worth the wait to save the money to buy it.
    Marilyn

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The Piaggio MP3 is a great scooter. The one your looking at is the 500cc which has good power and can cruise and be stable on the freeway. I have not had the opportunity to ride one but others I talk to are very happy with theirs. If the stability issue is why you are looking into the Spyder or the Paiggo in my opinon the Spyder is more stable and you do not need to put your feet down at a stop. You can use the electronic lock feature to lock the scooter upright as you stop but Paiggio does not recommend this. The reason I bring this up as I wanted to purchase one for my wife but she could not keep it up at a stop since her inseam is very short. She did not feel comfortable using the electronic lock as she came to a stop so that made our decision. Also the Piaggio leans and if you were to get into something slick on a curve it would slide out and go down same as a two wheeled motorcycle. The Spyder would not have that problem. If none of these issues would effect you on the Piaggio I would get it. Keep in mind that the front steering and suspension is very complex and if possible you might want an extended warranty.

What ever your choice either one is better than driving a cage (car).

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoBT View Post
    But the big thing to consider is even for having the two wheels up front, it's much more like a 2 wheeled motorcycle than a Spyder. I've heard it is possible to time the stabilizer switch as you come to a stop so you don't have to put your feet down at stops. But it takes quite a bit of practice to get to that point.
    Handling-wise, the Piaggio is almost exactly like a motorcycle. I felt right at home the first time I rode it. I haqd no trouble with the switch that locks the lean. Anytime you drop below five miles an hour, you can hit the switch. Only difficulty is that you have to remember. It is not automatic when stopping. It does release automatically when you take off, though, as soon as the speed exceeds 5 mph. You can release it manually, too, if you desire.
    -Scotty
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might want to check out MP3 forums for their inputs.

There are many many choices for open road riding and in today's economy many bargains for used 2/3 wheelers.

If you are an experienced motorcycle rider maybe you could hook up with someone for a test ride of an MP3. I have found that a test ride can change one's perspective of a vehicle. When I went through my Ducati obsession phase, I was lucky in being able to ride 3 different models before buying one.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Spyder Garage

All I can say is THANK YOU all for your input. Your thought and feelings on this are exactly what I needed, and I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond.

I've been doing some research today on this bike, and found that this thing sells used for around $7,000....if you can find one (500 model). Don't get me wrong, though. I would MUCH RATHER have a Spyder, and there's absolutely no question about it. But, hey, I also wouldn't mind living in a 5 million dollar spread in the burbs either! It all comes down to what I can afford at this time in my life. I guess I'm just starting to allow the REALITY of that fact hit me, instead of continuing to "dream" about the Spyder...something that is just out of my price range....for now.

Anyway, if this guy tells me it's a go, I am 90% sure that I'll move forward with the purchase. At least I'll be able to have some fun on the roads with a 500cc bike while I try to figure out how to get the money for the Spyder!

By the way, I just found a video on YouTube where a company customized a roof for the MP3's. I think the one showing in this picture is a 250, but I would assume they could make this for the 500 as well.

Look's kind of weird, though. I guess that's why I think I like it!

No bugs in your face, anyway!

Thanks again to everybody for your input. It's been invaluable. I always feel comfortable coming here and talking because your all like family.

Hey, Lamont.... Would you let me drive this to the next BBQ at your place?

Derwin
    Last edited by Derwin; 01-02-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

Derwin, you should get what your heart dictates and your wallet allows. (though, your heart will always find the money one way or the other)

You don't say "why" you want a Spyder or even the MP3 ( the kind of riding you want/like to do ) but if it is just easy joy riding around, sounds like either would work.

If you are looking to just own some cool technology, while both will do, the MP3 seems to have a much lower entry price and has the "lean" technology you seem to admire ( plus, it will take up less space ).

Probably more than any other member on this forum, you are familiar/knowledgeable of the MP3 - so you should know what you are getting - - - the only other advice I have, as in all things "used", do make sure it is mechanically sound before buying.

Good luck on finding what you want!

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Well, the guy just called me to let me know that the deal is a go. Dang....I'm exited! No, it's not the Spyder, but I'll keep my hopes up for getting one sometime in the future.

I go to pick this bike up tomorrow in Sycamore, Illinois, and will be riding it back to just south of Joliet, Illinois. That's about a 2 hour ride if there's a lot of traffic. I never rode a bike for that long before, so this is a little scary for me! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    If you are looking to just own some cool technology, while both will do, the MP3 seems to have a much lower entry price and has the "lean" technology you seem to admire ( plus, it will take up less space ).
    I'm really just wanting something to ride around town, visit family, and just have fun on. And, oh yeah... I DO enjoy owning cool technology as well!

Dang... Now I need to find another group to talk with about my new bike. I feel so much like a part of THIS family, though, and I highly doubt any other place exists for the MP3 like this one. Hmm. Maybe I'll start my own!

Anyway, thanks again for all the input, fella's.

Derwin
    Last edited by Derwin; 01-02-2010 at 10:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

I say just GO FOR IT !

Looks like a fun ride--- and might just be a good stepping stone that you shouldn't lose much money on.

Gets you on the road TODAY--- and you never know if you have a tomorrow---- so GO FOR IT.

I think they're pretty cool and for bopping around town, etc. they would be just fine. Would I want to tour on one---- no-- but that isn't how most folks ride anyhow.

Have FUN !

I would buy one for $4,000 if it was close by to me also--- just for the fun of it. Gotta get better MPG too.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

I sold my MP3 500 to get the . What a blast to ride around town, not so good on the highway as the transports realy blow you around. It does take some practice to get used to the switch to lock the wheels up when comming to a stop!! ( if you lock them when you are on a bit of an angle be prepared when you drive away as the bike will want to turn ) Also the wife wouldn't ride on it as she didn't feel safe. Like i said what a blast around town, the thing would out lean a two wheeled motorcycle any day of the week with lots of power and quick off the mark but alass no where near the stability and fun of the .

Enjoy and you can always trade it in when you can afford a .
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Derwin View Post
    By the way, I just found a video on YouTube where a company customized a roof for the MP3's. I think the one showing in this picture is a 250, but I would assume they could make this for the 500 as well.

Well, the guy just called me to let me know that the deal is a go. Dang....I'm exited! No, it's not the Spyder, but I'll keep my hopes up for getting one sometime in the future.

Derwin
    I take it back, now it's the second biggest windshield I ever saw. Ay, Chihuahua!!!

Nothing beats a bargain, Derwin. You have good reason to be excited. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. Someday we hope to see you on a Spyder, too. Best of luck and
    -Scotty

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default I am not so sure about that . . . . .

Derwin
    . . . . . there is a good chance of Ants In Your Face after this windshield(?) if it had a run in with some of the wind gusts we get out here in NM.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Pretty cool. Looks like a Spyder on Slimfast. I envy the leaning since I really miss that. Please let us know how it rides.

3WD
    Today is a good day to ride!
    owner!

[x]- Gun rack
    [x]- Helmet-mounted fire extingusher and DPS deactivation hammer
    [x]- Large print (senior version) safety card

Spyder Garage

The MP3 is a really cool looking machine and looks like a lot of fun. And I know here in California you can actually split lanes on that, you can't on the Spyder for obvious reasons. I considered an MP3 about a year before I saw the Spyder but couldn't see myself paying $10K for a 500cc machine that was barely freeway capable. So I didn't... and I have to say I am glad I did and I am glad I purchased the Spyder instead.

If you don't plan on doing a lot of freeway cruising then the MP3 should fit the bill just fine. And what a deal! I'd buy a MP3 500 at that price.... even now... just for fun!

Good luck with your purchase.
    We are a happy THREE Spyder family!
    My Rides: 2008 Quantum Blue Premier Edition Spyder GS SM5 (#1344)
    2015 Pearl White / Red Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM6
    2016 Intense Pearl Red Can-Am Spyder F3-T SE6
    2019 Chevrolet Volt (ER-EV)
    2003 Jeep Wrangler Sport X 4.0L I-6

RETIRED Owner / Event Coordinator - Annual Western Regional Can-Am Spyder Rallies
    Spyders in the Redwoods and Red Rock Spyder Rally of Southern Utah

The West Coast's Can-Am Spyder Community Ambassador
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well, if they normally sell for $7K used and you can get it for $4K, I'd say this is an awesome deal.

Go for it. As others suggested, go check out the MP3 forums first.

Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3wheeldemon View Post
    Pretty cool. Looks like a Spyder on Slimfast.
    Now that, my friend, is a good one! Now maybe I should go on Slimfast so I won't feel out of place on this thing!

I just checked, and it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow. As I've said, I have never driven a bike for this distance before, and I've certainly NEVER driven one in the rain. So, any suggestions that anyone can give me so I don't kill my self bringing this baby back home?

Actually, I'm a bit scared.

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bersquack View Post
    Go for it. As others suggested, go check out the MP3 forums first.
    I've been searching the internet, and even googled the name, but I can't seem to find any AMERICAN forums that are dedicated to the Piaggio MP3.

Do you know of any forums dedicated to this vehicle?

Derwin

Spyder Garage

Congrats on getting the MP3. Here's another idea for you. If they normally sell for 7 grand, immediately put it up for sale and you'll be 3 thousand closer to owning a Spyder.

As to your ride tomorrow, I probably wouldn't ride this home in the rain if I was totally unfamiliar with the MP3 or riding a leaning machine in the rain in general. Any chance you can postpone the ride until the weather breaks? IMO, you should have confidence in your ride and / or your riding ability if you're doing a longer ride, especially in inclement weather.

If you do ride home tomorrow anyways, take care and stay safe.
    Former Happy Spyder Owner
    Just decided it was time to move onto other things.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Congrats on getting the MP3. Here's another idea for you. If they normally sell for 7 grand, immediately put it up for sale and you'll be 3 thousand closer to owning a Spyder.
    I guess brilliant minds think alike!

As to your ride tomorrow, I probably wouldn't ride this home in the rain if I was totally unfamiliar with the MP3 or riding a leaning machine in the rain in general. Any chance you can postpone the ride until the weather breaks? IMO, you should have confidence in your ride and / or your riding ability if you're doing a longer ride, especially in inclement weather.
    I wish I could postpone this, but I just can't. The guy is meeting me at the dealership where he is buying another bike. He lives in Iowa and is riding the MP3 500 to the dealer in Sycamore, Illinois. I'll be taking possession of this thing in the parking lot of the dealership, and there's just no other time to do the deal. I have never even riden an MP3 before, but I'm hoping I won't have any problems.

If you do ride home tomorrow anyways, take care and stay safe.
    Well, send up a few prayers for me if you get a couple extra moments in your day. I have a feeling I'll need them!

Derwin