Spyder Garage

Default Elka Stage 2's on 2015 F3 S

I started upgrading the suspension on my stock 2015 F3-S with the Baja Ron 3 piece bar. Excellent improvement.

Then I installed Elka Stage 2's, front and rear.
    This is a description of how I went from very disappointed to satisfied by adjusting them.
    These are NOT comfortable shocks. Any such description is BS.
    They are high performance units that maximize road holding and have great handling at all speeds
    at the expense of a smooth ride on rough surfaces.

I am a heavy boy, 300 lb so I 'think' they were set with a high spring preload.
    The tags on the shocks said Rebound damping was 12 clicks off full hard front, 14 clicks rear.
    Elka says there are ~50 clicks of adjustment. So rebound was pretty stiff too.

First impression, my spine was getting hammered so I loosened the rear preload about 4 turns of the collar.
    Much better, but the fronts were extremely stiff and bouncy. On rough roads the bike jiggled like hell, rattling my teeth.
    I was regretting my decision.

After 2 long rides like this I decided to reduce the front preload as well.

When I installed the fronts I completely unloaded the front springs so I could compress them to get them on.
    I tried to return them to the as-delivered setting by measuring the adjustment threads before and after loosening.
    This was probably a bad idea. I don't think the preload was even, left to right.

I had watched the Marcus McBain Youtube videos installing his M2 shocks.
    He adjusted the front preload by feel but did not describe what he was feeling for.

I decided to reset the front preload.
    I loosened them till there was a small amount of resistance at the adjustment collar
    and then tightened them till the resistance was 'kinda' tight. Best description I can give.
    At least by feel the preload was equal side to side.
    Results were much better, but my head was shaking over the rough stuff. No fun at all.

After 4 more long rides over another week I decided to loosen the Rebound damping.
    I backed off 10 clicks all around and presto, pretty comfy on normal roads and much less jiggling on the rough stuff.
    On prolonged, poor secondary roads there is still significant shaking at higher speeds
    because the shocks are keeping the tires glued to the uneven surface.

Given the great handling overall I can live with the ride now.
    Last edited by adipaola; 07-06-2022 at 10:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

After a month of riding, the shocks have softened up quite a bit.
    Still jiggly but you get used to it.

Now to mount the Vredesteins with laser alignment at Netzley's.