Spyder Garage

Default CanAm repair shops are in short supply. What are Tech's paid?

My Ryker is on the fritz but I can't get it in for another three weeks. iMotorsports is the only game in town for me. They do a great job, but they are always juggling crocodiles. So I assume techs that work on them are in high demand. How much do they make?
    2019 Rally , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What about Neilsons?

Spyder Garage

You would imagine that if CanAm mechs were getting paid a premium there would be more mechs taking the certification, Rogue, but they seem few and far between. Most shops just seem to take one of their least busy 2 wheel mechs and put them onto any Spyders that come in, regardless of any certification.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I was thinking of taking the course and starting a Spyder maintenance business in my area due to lack of BRP qualified techs at the very few dealerships in the Province, but it seems the training is available only to BRP dealers who sponsor new technicians.
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE

Spyder Garage

I don’t know of a factory training course that a independent mechanic can take not working for a dealer. And that is in any maintenance industry I have been involved with.
    2010 RT
    2015 Ural
    1980 & 1982 R65 BMW
    1975 R90/6 BMW
    1956 Triumph TR3A

Spyder Garage

From what I see, at least at my closest dealer. They do not have a Can-Am trained mechanic.
    I think that is the way it is in most of the shops.

I feel that Can-Am should require that the dealer keep at least one trained mechanic employed at all times. JMHO
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-08-2022 at 05:31 PM. Reason: on - one ;-)
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Until Can-Am allows independent motorcycle shops to get the tools and training needed to service Spyders, owners are going to be dissatisfied with them as long distance touring machines. Unless the owner can do their own routine maintenance and put touring tires on their bikes.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    What about Neilsons?
    Neilson is far for me.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

A problem that has been going on since day one. The dealer has to pay for the mechanics training. if they do not do a lot of business, and the mechanic is only for Can Am, you have a catch 22 issue.

Many dealers now do not have certified mechanics. BRP does not seem to be enforcing anything there. Over the years, I watched the mechanical end of my dealer diminish. I was getting ready to call it quits with Spyder, but then moved down to Arkansas. I have two great "independents" within driving range now. My problem is solved, but the problem is still a common one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This may or may not be relative, I just saw it on FB.

So I thought I would post this to provide some info. I just got off the phone with a gentleman from the national transportation safety board. He called regarding the complaint I filled about the harness falling down and shredding the cable under the left fender. He said he had a meeting with BRP this morning and had several complaints regarding limp mode and VSS faults. I gave him more info on my situation and told him I lost complete power while riding at highway speeds and had the number 7 fuse blow. He said that he needs everyone to file complaints that are having issues. He needs VIN numbers so bring to BRP that are tied to these problems. I told him I would post this on here because I have gotten some good info and have seen folks with issues here. The most important thing he said is he needs VINs to go with the issues to take to BRP engineers. Just wanted to share that it seems something is being looked into.
    Edit to include that I have a 2022 ryker 900.
    Also I posted a picture with the inspectors contact info he sent me in the comments

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    What about Neilsons?
    same thougt here
    2015 f3s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GFrog View Post
    I was thinking of taking the course and starting a Spyder maintenance business in my area due to lack of BRP qualified techs at the very few dealerships in the Province, but it seems the training is available only to BRP dealers who sponsor new technicians.
    I would be content to find someone that does alignments around here other that Full Throttle!
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Maybe it's not just Can-Am
    That was a very interesting video. It really does seem to be a somewhat of a generational issue. When I was a teenager, many high schools offered trades training in the senior years instead of strictly academic. Now, trades are mostly instructed in community colleges and those are becoming somewhat rare. Most trade courses have a two or three year wait for an opening. Parents and school councillors now push for a university education. Thank goodness for immigration, newcomers now seem to be the main source of experienced mechanics/technicians. Times are changing...
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky Mystery Blue
    2009 Suzuki Boulevard M50 SE