Spyder Garage

Default I’ve got a funky electrical issue - Ryker won't start after fixing light...

I’m no stranger to auto/motorcycle work, and I’m afraid I know what the answer is, but I figured I’d ask here before taking the next (expensive) steps.

We’ve been installing upgraded lighting on the wife’s 2019 Ryker to help improve visibility, Right side went well, but on the left side, the wiring harness was pinched between the two parts of the fender. I had to rebuild the plug (using identical parts and a new pin, it’s visually and electrically identical to how it was before the work.)

But the bike now has a no-start situation, to the point that I can’t even query for trouble codes:

The battery tests good, and I’ve used other batteries in place to validate it’s not a poor power issue, and the modified turn signals work correctly (so it’s not a mis-wiring issue, currently)…things like the horn and hazards work correctly, but the system won’t stop the behavior unless I pull the key and toggle the run/stop switch.

I suspect ESD (Electrostatic Discharge) may have taken out the ECU…and that I’ll not be able to troubleshoot without one, but figured I’d ask around before taking those steps.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RocketSled View Post
    ..... < snip > .....

But the bike now has a no-start situation, to the point that I can’t even query for trouble codes:

The battery tests good, and I’ve used other batteries in place to validate it’s not a poor power issue, and the modified turn signals work correctly (so it’s not a mis-wiring issue, currently)…things like the horn and hazards work correctly, but the system won’t stop the behavior unless I pull the key and toggle the run/stop switch.

..... < snip > ......
    Welcome to posting on the Forum . But what exactly is the behaviour that won't stop unless you pull the key & toggle the run/stop switch?!?
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Based upon the "check Key" and "VSS fault" there may be two issues
    Check key: Does your second key have the same results?
    VSS fault warning: There are threads about this, but first I'd check for interruption of the speed sensor wiring at the wheel where you have been working.
    Last edited by SportsterDoc; 07-06-2022 at 05:12 PM.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

Figure I’d circle back…the issue here was a burnt out 10 amp fuse for the ECU…apparently the turn signals and ECU share a fuse.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RocketSled View Post
    Figure I’d circle back…the issue here was a burnt out 10 amp fuse for the ECU…apparently the turn signals and ECU share a fuse.
    Glad you did! Many join to ask a question, get a bunch of help/advice, then never bother to tell us if anything helped or what the final outcome was...

So it's quite a wonderful thing to actually get an update on what the problem was, and now you're (hopefully??) back on the road & enjoying that Ryker & its fixed lights!

Thanks.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Great job in finding the issue.
    New to Sue and I
    2021, LTD, Asphalt Gray, 22,000 miles
    Gone but not forgotten
    RTS 2011 SM5, 95,000 miles

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Echoing Peter's comments, thanks for "circlinig back"
    So F7 was the culprit and no label for turns

Ryker fuses.jpg
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Spyder Garage

F7 goes to the display, ECM, RFID, Yaw Rate Sensor, Steering Angle Sensor, and turn signals per the Maintenance manual wiring diagram.

Spyder Garage

Default Thank you for posting this information

Thank you for posting this information, I ran into the same problem.
    2018 RT , Gray