Spyder Garage

Default Looking at a Spyder - any expertise or advice on offer?

Hello everyone. First a bit about myself. Am a 71 year old retired car dealer. Am a administrator/moderator on a few motorcycle and car forums. Have had many motorcycles all my life. Have had 8 Goldwings plus other makes. Recently had a back operation that left me with left drop foot. So with great pain and sadness am selling my Goldwing F6b and looking into purchasing a Spyder.
    A couple of years ago had a Goldwing Gl1800 trike and hated the ride. The side to side motion even with the independent rear suspension was too much. Sold it.
    Don’t really want a trike but between the drop foot, my age, and the Goldwing’s weight, it seems the logical choice if I want to continue some form of riding. So am researching and reading the forums about the Spyders. Seems 2015 and up is the way to go. Will need the automatic due to the drop foot. Also cruise and Ufit. Going to go to one of the dealers and see if I can get a test drive to feel the ride, power, handling, and rider ergonomics.
    Since I was a technician for years, usually do all my own maintenance. Curious about the complexity of Spyder maintenance. Also curious about reliability. I ride very rural country roads out in the middle of nowhere. Purchase Budget limit is around 15k to 17k. Will only be doing around 2000 miles per year. The Mrs has health issues that prevent her from riding anymore.
    It is just really confusing because there are just so many Spyder models. Hard to understand which ones have which equipment. Is there a website that will help me sort this out? Have to understand the models to understand the pricing.
    Well going to shut up. Nobody likes super long posts. Glad to join all of you and thanks in advance for any expertise or advice you offer. Tom

Spyder Garage

Welcome! Probably the best way to sort m all out is to check the BRP site.
    Brake is on the right foot so yay! Some come with a couple problems when new but since you are likely buying pre rode any of that should be fixed. You will be looking for the se 6 semi auto trans,paddle shift. Once any factory glitch's are fixed I believe you will hear that the Spyder is very dependable and long lived! I am on #2 and still having a great time riding! Good luck with the hunt,you won't be sorry.
    2020RTL

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

https://www.autoevolution.com/moto/can-am/spyder/ Old info on Spyder models; not the Spyder 2018 and up and not Rykers
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Believe the Ufit is maybe only on F3’s definitely suggest many test rides or rental if available in your area. Not sure the side-to- side forces from the trike, many refer to the forces on spyder Kinda like a ATV4wheeler (if that helps) as far as foot issue some aggressive riders mention hugging tank with thighs, however pushing on peg/floorboards with opposite foot probably more common practice casual & aggressive. Do diligence research & notes what find you like ‘18s unfortunately had few LH controls issues among other things. Maintenance wise tolerance varies, keep up with tires & schedules
    Some can be diy, some requires computer with BUDS talk to system plus the manual labor.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I'm only an year older than you and I love the F3 Limited. Previously owned many 2 wheelers and more recently 2 RTS, a 2012 & 2015. Both were no trouble bikes but being 6'2" I always felt cramp on the RT's. I currently own a 2017 F3 LImited which I love. The 2017 F3 was the last year for the analog speed & tach gauges. All 2018-2022 have the digital gauges. I'm not all into all the electronic mumble jumble. Of course any Spyder F3 or RT made after 2015 have the much improved 1330 engine and 6 speed trans. I have the floorboards at position 5 and have added the 2 inch risers on the handlebars. The F3 Limited has cruise and almost the same storage as the RT has and makes a good touring bike. Since your not going to make any long distance trips you might be more suited to a base model F3. Good luck in your Spyder research.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
    Hello everyone. First a bit about myself. Am a 71 year old retired car dealer. Am a administrator/moderator on a few motorcycle and car forums. Have had many motorcycles all my life. Have had 8 Goldwings plus other makes. Recently had a back operation that left me with left drop foot. So with great pain and sadness am selling my Goldwing F6b and looking into purchasing a Spyder.
    A couple of years ago had a Goldwing Gl1800 trike and hated the ride. The side to side motion even with the independent rear suspension was too much. Sold it.
    Don’t really want a trike but between the drop foot, my age, and the Goldwing’s weight, it seems the logical choice if I want to continue some form of riding. So am researching and reading the forums about the Spyders. Seems 2015 and up is the way to go. Will need the automatic due to the drop foot. Also cruise and Ufit. Going to go to one of the dealers and see if I can get a test drive to feel the ride, power, handling, and rider ergonomics.
    Since I was a technician for years, usually do all my own maintenance. Curious about the complexity of Spyder maintenance. Also curious about reliability. I ride very rural country roads out in the middle of nowhere. Purchase Budget limit is around 15k to 17k. Will only be doing around 2000 miles per year. The Mrs has health issues that prevent her from riding anymore.
    It is just really confusing because there are just so many Spyder models. Hard to understand which ones have which equipment. Is there a website that will help me sort this out? Have to understand the models to understand the pricing.
    Well going to shut up. Nobody likes super long posts. Glad to join all of you and thanks in advance for any expertise or advice you offer. Tom
    Hi Dave here, Been riding since 1955 yea I'm an old guy 5 Gold Wings 2 ST1100 and a bunch more even Harleys and a Boss Hoss. I was T-boned about 10 years ago and my wife decided I should not ride any longer I was 70 at the time.... I never gave up riding I bought a Spyder GS 2008 and put a ton of miles on it. now I am 80 and just bought my 2nd Spyder.
    would stay with the 1300cc units the RT models are very nice but $$$$ the F3 models are in my opinion a a little less expensive depending on what one you get. I just got last week a very nice 2015 F3 low mileage for 14K I feel it was a good buy I have seen them for less but this has several nice accessories Corbin Bags and seat. With the RT you sit up on it and with the F3 you sit down in it. Go ride some and see what you think.. I ride solo now because my wife has a bad back. should you want to talk call me 209-887-3283 I am in California Pacific time
    My New F3.jpg
    Last edited by Motorcycledave; 07-03-2022 at 06:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

My wife hated the side to side motion on the GW trike. She loves the Spyder. That tells me something. The Spyder really isn't anymore complex than most of the new bikes or ALL of the new cars on the road and people don't think twice about buying those. Remember for every problem bike you read about there are many more with no issues and happy owners such as us. 2015 RT.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

I recommend you test ride both the RT and F3 models in your price range. Eschew the RTs older than MY '14 and any of the '14-16 RS/ST models. Why? Old technology or BRP would still be manufacturing V-twin Spyders. You don't say where in Tar Heel Land you are so it's tough to suggest dealership(s) to try. Reliability? I have 78K+ on my Spyder and, with the exception of a parking brake motor that was replaced under factory warranty at about one year, I've had no problems. I do most all of my own maintenance. The only thing intimidating about it is removing the RT Tupperware the first time. There are a number of owners who have rolled well over 100K on their RTs.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I recommend you test ride both the RT and F3 models in your price range. Eschew the RTs older than MY '14 and any of the '14-16 RS/ST models. Why? Old technology or BRP would still be manufacturing V-twin Spyders. You don't say where in Tar Heel Land you are so it's tough to suggest dealership(s) to try. Reliability? I have 78K+ on my Spyder and, with the exception of a parking brake motor that was replaced under factory warranty at about one year, I've had no problems. I do most all of my own maintenance. The only thing intimidating about it is removing the RT Tupperware the first time. There are a number of owners who have rolled well over 100K on their RTs.
    ..... with Jay .... if you think 2000 mi. will be average then Touring is out ... Money being what it is today I would give the RYKER a serious look .... Rykers are FULLY Automatic trans. & will save you mucho dinero .... plus you sound like you will riding as a driver only machine .... Good Luck ... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-03-2022 at 10:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

I am also 71 , owned 5 GW in a row ,also had a lot of other bikes over the years , and have a real Bad Back . and several years ago I built a GW Trike , same as you It wasn't for me I only put 600 miles on it and sold it ... and I can tell you there is nothing even close between a GW Trike and a Spyder . I traded for my Spyder July of 2021 1 year this month , have put about 5,000 miles on it and for ME I wouldn't trade my Spyder for anything else I have ever owned . good luck !
    2011 RTS Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A lot of good info above. Go demo as many rides as you can and focus on what meets your needs the best. Knowing what I know now I'd search far and wide for a low millage 2nd hand unit. Then with cash in hand, I'd fly if need be and go buy one from a dealer or private party. There are a lot of decent buys out there, you just gotta look for them. I'd look for a 14 to a 17 or 18. Happy hunting.

Spyder Garage

I would suggest that you look at the 2014 Spyder models and up, they have the "1330 Ace Rotax Ace High torque engine by creating a new fascia design, adding more elegance and power. They also improved heat management by doubling radiator capacity and moving them to the front of the A-arms, away from the driver and passenger. The fans include a reverse mode that blows hot air away from the rider when traveling at a lower speed. This ensures more comfort for both the rider and passenger. Also, the "1330" Ace engine is configured with a 3 -in line cylinders. It produces high -torque response in every gear and 40% more low-end torque. But the torque doesn't come at a cost of fuel economy or CO emissions.Ride up to 252 miles at 62 MPH on one tank of gas. On top of that ride more and spend less, thanks to low vehicle maintenance. Even the sound it makes on the road is unique and impressive, with the in -line configuration producing a refined signature quality sound that stands out from the motorcycle crowd).

The 2014 spyder models and up have a 6 speed transmission, you can cruise comfortably at 3,300 rpms with the outstanding ride of this new 6 speed transmission. The ride is smoother, for you and your passenger. thanks for the long gear and new hydraulic clutch activation system and electronic pressure control You can pass through town without down shifting. ( It will down shift for you,or you can downshift it by yourself, it has a paddle shifter you use thumb and fore finger)

The 2014 spyder models and up have a new 1200- W alternator which gives you more electronic accessories. A new total capacity of 1200 W. instead of 650 ( previous spyder models, 2013 to 2008).

Also, Check on this website under The For Sale by Owner for spyders.
    Also, go to dealership and test drive different spyder models.

I have a 2014 RTS-SE6, I love it!

I hope the above info helps.

I am on my 2nd spyder( my first was a 2012 RTS-SE5 then I up graded to my current one).

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Spyder Garage

I would say this: you will love the Spyder in any shape or form. Being an admin or moderator in the past you know you can count on a lot of IMO here. As a "family" member you can post your recent Spyders views/ads on this thread that we may help you disseminate and focus your future purchase. I will promote this advertisement as someone previously mention the F3 model. I spoke with the owner and feel this is a good $ but have no experience with F3's.I sent this to a friend as I thought it was a good deal. Yes i know its in Omaha but this is just for your viewing pleasure. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...17525415987290

I also saw this just now https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...type=top_picks (manual tranny -oops)

So you can buy a Spyder within your $$ range (at least in NE)

Heres one in VA https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...11#post1636711 This is a HELLUVA DEAL!!
    Last edited by davev1pa; 07-04-2022 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Edit
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I just turned 75 a few weeks ago. I replaced my 2019 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sport and my 2012 Triumph Rocket 3 and a 2018 Indian Scout cruiser with my 2021 Spyder RT SE6 a year ago. The Spyder is my 89th 'motorcycle,' in 50 years of continuous riding and I love it!

It took me maybe an hour on Rural country roads where I live, to master the Tricycle. I have owned Sooooo many 3 and 4 wheelers that the so called 'Leaning' learning curve was very easy.

It may sound odd, but if you don't fixate on the 2 front wheels, the ride, ergonomics and road feel reminds me of my past Goldwing's, BMW K1200LTC or my past Electra Glide: Very, very comfortable!

When I was first test riding my potential purchase, which I bought, the salesman told me to put it in first gear and do 'SLOW' lock to lock, Fig 8's in the parking lot, which was done with one hand, my right hand on the throttle and it felt so easy, a child could do it and that SOLD me.

They are very expensive and my 2021 with full warranty, only 2,400 miles and first service just completed is worth as much used as it was new.

Have fun!
    2021 Spyder RT ES6 PETROL metallic. Carthage, Missouri 64836

Spyder Garage

Lots of good advice above. There are basic differences between the Ryker, F3 and RT. The Ryker is really small and sits very low to the ground, the F3 has a more sporty stance, driver sits down in the bike and has less wind protection particularly on the legs from knee down and the RT is a full blown touring bike with a more upright riding position and good wind protection for all parts of the body. The Ryker has a continuous variable drive and no gear selection as the drive selects the gear ration(no gears but belt driven). The F3 and the RT both have a paddle shifter which allows you to pick your gear. I too have ridden and owned so many different bikes over 60 years of riding that I have lost count, but suffice it to say I have ridden moto cross bikes, sport bikes, sport touring bikes and full blown touring bikes. My last bike before the Spyder was a Kawasaki Concour which is a serious sport touring bike with awesome performance. The F3 has a more feet forward sitting position than the RT which is more upright with your feet directly below your body which my bad back prefers. I now have a RTL and wouldn't go back to two wheels for anything. I picked the RT because of the more upright riding position and because I like to ride long distance, but that's just me and not you. Try to get a demo ride on all three and then make the best choice for you. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks. Last weekend I took a three day 1250 mile quick ride. My riding buddy and I stopped at a rest area and a fellow riding a just purchased Ryker from North of Chicago down to the Gulf of Mexico where he lives pulled into the area just as we arrived. My riding buddy and I saw how small the Riker was and how low to the ground the driver sat and both commented after he left that he had to be taking a beating and would be tired wen he arrived at home, but, but he was happy as a clam and didn't seem tired at all. So again, different strokes. If you look at a F3 or an RT, I would suggest that you limit your choices to bikes with the three cylinder, 1330 motor, but some would disagree with that comment. Buy what suits you and take your time making a decision. It has to please you and be appropriate for your intended use and no one else's opinion matters.
    Last edited by Bartender; 07-07-2022 at 06:05 PM.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    Lots of good advice above. It has to please you and be appropriate for your intended use and no one else's opinion matters.
    Well said.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Been searching and today picked up a 2015 F3S automatic with only 7k miles for $14000. Couldn’t rent a 6 foot wide trailer anywhere and mine is only 5 foot so I rode it 160 miles to home. I never even sat on one. I got used to the trike in half an hour. It was 95 degrees and also had 20 miles of horrific rain. But really like the trike. Just need an adjustable vented tinted windshield, floorboards, handlebar risers, K&N air filter, and a seat that has more seating area and also moves me back. I ride solo so don’t need a passenger seat.
    As usual with a new (used) bike I will be changing oil, filter, coolant, brake fluid, adjust belt if needed, and check everything for tightness.
    Wanted to thank all of you who responded to my post. The information was helpful in the decision and purchase process. Thanks. Tom

Spyder Garage

Been searching and today picked up a 2015 F3S automatic with only 7k miles for $14000. Couldn’t rent a 6 foot wide trailer anywhere and mine is only 5 foot so I rode it 160 miles to home. I never even sat on one. I got used to the trike in half an hour. It was 95 degrees and also had 20 miles of horrific rain. But really like the trike. Just need an adjustable vented tinted windshield, floorboards, handlebar risers, K&N air filter, and a seat that has more seating area and also moves me back. I ride solo so don’t need a passenger seat.
    As usual with a new (used) bike I will be changing oil, filter, coolant, brake fluid, adjust belt if needed, and check everything for tightness.
    Wanted to thank all of you who responded to my post. The information was helpful in the decision and purchase process. Thanks. Tom
    hard starting off in rain thanks for letting us know

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

and . . sounds like you got a good deal on an F3.

Hope you have many miles of smiles on your Spyder.

Ryde safe and enjoy the ryde
    Artie
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-17-2022 at 03:01 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2017 RTL Asphalt Grey Metallic Chrome
    2017 RTL , Asphalt Grey Mettalic