Spyder Garage

Default First Oil Change 2020 900 Ryker

My first oil change. It's a 2020 Ryker 900 and only had 1550 miles on it. I bought it a couple months ago with 750 miles on it. I'm glad I did. Found the whole top metal piece of the oil filter completely aloose. Found some fine metal on the plug, but not much. Went ahead and changed the gear oil also. Will change the rear end oil at 6000 miles. The bike held 3 qts of oil and it put it at the full mark. There is a big discussion on oil amount between the 2019 and 2020. I know they put a different dip stick in the 2020 models and it is a different length than the 2019 models. Will change again at 6000 miles.

Spyder Garage

I hope you know the full oil check hole is at the right side of gear box.(towards back) The 2019 manual stated to use the filler hole, which was wrong. Caught some Ryker Riders off guard. I don't know if the 2020 manual corrected that. Did you do the warm up drive before engine oil change and after to to check amount in?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamryder View Post
    I hope you know the full oil check hole is at the right side of gear box.(towards back) The 2019 manual stated to use the filler hole, which was wrong. Caught some Ryker Riders off guard. I don't know if the 2020 manual corrected that. Did you do the warm up drive before engine oil change and after to to check amount in?
    Had her good and warm before changing the oil. Being a retired mechanic I have studied a bunch on the Ryker. Saw a bunch of post where they wasn't checking the gear box correct. Also had it good and hot before checking my oil level after changing it. Haven't looked at my manual on this, but already knew about the hole on the right side of the fill hole. But thanks for the warning. Just looked at the 2020 manual and it does have the correct way to check the gear box oil level.
    David
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-03-2022 at 02:54 AM. Reason: manul +