Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Interesting. When I went to buy led bulbs for my GMC Canyon on HR's website, there was a cautionary note wrapped in legal mumbo jumbo, that said basically the headlights aren't legal per DOT to be used on-road. But their video promotes them for the truck. I've since researched this issue a little and it seems aftermarket LEDs are too bright for current highway use because of outdated regulations ...
    Although there might be something about brightness, the real issue is mentioned in that video from Headlight Revolution. The source of light (the LED emitters) might not be in the same place as the incandescent filament. That is going to put the source out of the focal point of the reflector, yielding unknown results in the light pattern on the road. Usually, it causes a LOT of glare for oncoming drivers.

Actually, I wish there was universal enforcement. I sure get tired of being blinded by oncoming vehicles (usually jacked up trucks) blinding me with their low beams!
    Keep in mind that you can be blinded by the STOCK lights, too, if they are not adjusted properly.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Don’t forget all the passenger cars and their so called driving lights....both of these should be called BLINDING LIGHTS!
    The stock DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) on my van use the high beam lights, but at a lower intensity. Since they come on when the key is turned on, and remain on until the headlights are turned on, the only way I can prevent that is to run with my regular low beams and marker lights all the time. Sorry, but that's not going to happen.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Spyder Garage

I pulled out the LED headlights that were in my used purchased F3 and put in HID's. LED had junk high beams and weak low beams, brand unknown.
    H4 kit is a little more involved but I'm a gearhead so no issues for me. I've been using HID in my snowmobiles for 10 yrs now and no issues.
    I've tried LED's and none of them work properly in a filament bulb style housing like a filament HID bulb.
    Vehicle fleet is HID converted also.
    I'm a nut on proper aiming so save the flames.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think this thread is about finding the right LED solution, with the understanding that many factors are in play and just swapping in a cheap LED bulb for a halogen isn't necessarily going to work.

HID is an old, expensive technology with its own technical issues, such as delay in the response time, high amperage draw, different reflector requirements and so on. It's not the direction that advancements in lighting are going, I believe.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-04-2022 at 11:53 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think this thread is about finding the right LED solution, with the understanding that many factors are in play and just swapping in a cheap LED bulb for a halogen isn't necessarily going to work.

HID is an old, expensive technology with its own technical issues, such as delay in the response time, high amperage draw, different reflector requirements and so on. It's not the direction that advancements in lighting are going, I believe.
    ....and that's one of the reasons I posted my experience with the " Fahren " brand.... Mine are 16,000 Lumens ( Fahren makes others that are brighter ) & even with iffy Night Vision I think they are great ..... JMHO ./... good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

What year/model did you install these on? Amazon fitment says they won't work on my 2015 RT-S SE6. Thanks
    2015 RT-S SE6
    Bajaron sway and billets, Bumpskid, Lamonster belt tensioner. Rear General Altimax 215/60R15, Front 175/55R-15 QUATRAC,
    Centramatic wheel balancers, FOBO2 TPMS, Comfort Seat w/backrest, Belt Guard, Brake light modulator
    Side mirror signal lights, Lamonster Magnetic mirror mounts, 7 Jurock w/flip, Floating foot rests, Voltage meter, LED fog and headlights, KOTT grills, side wind deflectors, Air Hawk x2, mud flap, Sena BT x2, Pedal Box, Laser alignment.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by svspyder View Post
    What year/model did you install these on? Amazon fitment says they won't work on my 2015 RT-S SE6. Thanks
    Go by Fahren's replacement guide. You'll need to know the OEM bulb designator e.g. 9005/HB3
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-04-2022 at 06:13 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

You didn't " Reply With Quote " .... but if the question was for me ... I did this on my 2014 RT .... I think they said it wouldn't fit mine either ... but obviously it did ..... I don't think " Fahren " even knows Spyders exist. .... The company deals with mostly auto's .... To the best of my knowledge ALL 9005 / HB-3 bulbs / LED's have the same BASE .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You didn't " Reply With Quote " .... but if the question was for me ... I did this on my 2014 RT .... I think they said it wouldn't fit mine either ... but obviously it did ..... I don't think " Fahren " even knows Spyders exist. .... The company deals with mostly auto's .... To the best of my knowledge ALL 9005 / HB-3 bulbs / LED's have the same BASE .... good luck ... Mike
    thanks, still trying to get the hang of proper thread process!

Spyder Garage

thanks, still trying to get the hang of proper thread process!
    No problem, when I joined in 2012 I didn't know how to even talk on a forum .... I was using all caps and got immediately spanked by a few folks here

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This clip echos some of the issues I found. I investigated many many brands/types and tried a few brands of LED but none did the job. Even some of those recommended as suited to Spyders don't really do that much better.

Some things I learnt
    • Some drivers simply wont fit inside the sealed plastic housing
    • Some bulbs incorporated the driver and sink, fitted ok (JW Speaker)
    • I wondered about the impact of a sealed plastic housing would have on the ability for a heat sink or fan to really cool what it needed to cool
    • I was lucky that my car has the same bulbs as the '17RTL so I could swap. It came down to the manufacture of the reflector that determined how effective the LEDs were.
    • Corresponding with some manufacturers (Phillips, PIA, JW Speaker, OSRAM) was helpful - they were honest enough to say don't use our product on your RTL
    • That when a bulb was tested in my '17RTL, no matter how bad the result was, when fitted to my Car the LED gave s%^t loads of light, and both are Projector type housings with plastic encased surrounds.

When I spoke with Lexus (my car is a Lexus) they said "LED's have been around a long time now and the headlights in your 2012 IS were designed to accommodate them, if your Bike doesn't the manufacturer needs a kick on the derriere"

We in Aus have our low beams where US/Canada have their fog lights (either side of the Frunk). I wish I had the testicular fortitude to bake a headlight from an RTL and see if I can fit different internals like these guys at HR have..

Late edit -
    1. I did get a better outcome for my High beams from PIA, with some bulbs that had a 5deg title on the filaments, this was an improvement on the OEM candles my RTL had.
    2. I dont care what technology I use, I just want better illumination at the front, not the underside of overhead bridges, or so short I can spit further, or so narrow I have to walk the roadside to make sure no furry critters are there ready to run into me.
    Last edited by askitee; 07-07-2022 at 01:54 AM. Reason: typos
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Just replaced one in my F3 that seems to be same intensity as original OEM which is what I wanted: # 9003, $14 from Walmart.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I haven't gotten around to converting my headlights to LED yet, but I added a set of Pencil Beam Driving Lights on custom mounts I fabricated, switched and wired up to my High Beams through a relay. I do a lot of night riding in the country so lighting is important and these have done wonders for me.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.c...ound_p_10.html
    Knowledge is the accumulation and remembering data.
    Wisdom is the effective application of it.

[img]https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/maps/map.png?
    2019 Spyder RT Limited , 2" brake pedal riser with wide pedal Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member SportsterDoc's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had this in my Triumph and now in my Yamaha Bolt

https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Motorc.../dp/B07T4H4FR3

I have these in my Nissan Frontier

https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Headli.../dp/B09TT597F1

If 9005 is needed, consider these

https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-9005-H...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Very bright, never had an on-coming vehicle flash their lights, as the pattern is excellent.
    23 Moto Guzzi V7-850 SE 23 Yamaha XT250 18 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec 22 Triumph Street Twin 20 CanAM Ryker 900 14 Honda CB1100 18 Yamaha XT250 16 Moto Guzzi V7 II 17 Yamaha TW200 12 Triumph Bonneville 02 Sportster 1200 Sport 03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360 70 Yamaha CT1 72 Yamaha CT2 72 Yamaha AT2/CT2 70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160 67 Honda CB160 62 Honda CA110
    2020 900 , NGK 4218 iridium CR8EIX Matte black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SportsterDoc View Post
    I had this in my Triumph and now in my Yamaha Bolt

https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Motorc.../dp/B07T4H4FR3

I have these in my Nissan Frontier

https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-Headli.../dp/B09TT597F1

If 9005 is needed, consider these

https://www.amazon.com/AUXITO-9005-H...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Very bright, never had an on-coming vehicle flash their lights, as the pattern is excellent.
    With respect to the original post on this thread, I note the 9005 bulb has the recommended chip pattern and the recommended fan, but the driver is built into the base and cannot be used as daylight running lights. So, not recommended for motorcycle use apparently.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

With respect to the original post on this thread, I note the 9005 bulb has the recommended chip pattern and the recommended fan, but the driver is built into the base and cannot be used as daylight running lights. So, not recommended for motorcycle use apparently.
    Automotive daytime running headlights lights run on 1/2 or reduced power. That's why they say no DRL use as running on low voltage will hurt them.
    On cycles the headlights are on at full power all the time so they should be fine.
    John
    "some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
    '15 F3S SE6
    '01 FLHR
    Ski Doo 1200's
    Boats
    2015 F3S SE6 , Magnesium

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cravenfun View Post
    Automotive daytime running headlights lights run on 1/2 or reduced power. That's why they say no DRL use as running on low voltage will hurt them. On cycles the headlights are on at full power all the time so they should be fine.
    Thank you. I did not know that.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

... I bought 9005 / HB3, they fit fine ..... good luck ... Mike ..... I suggest you try the above Fahren LED's ... I don't do much Night riding, because of Night Blindness ( 75 yrs. old ) .... but when I do these bulbs light up the road very,very well
    The lights arrived today. Are the plugs plug and play or does the plug on the RT need to be changed?

Thanks Fred

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BearX16 View Post
    The lights arrived today. Are the plugs plug and play or does the plug on the RT need to be changed?

Thanks Fred
    Glad I caught this post ..... I didn't have to change anything .... so yes plug-n -play..... What exactly did you get ????? ...Mike

Spyder Garage

Glad I caught this post ..... I didn't have to change anything .... so yes plug-n -play..... What exactly did you get ????? ...Mike
    I got the 9005 HB3 from Amazon. On another note I've got the Quatrac 5 on the front and Altimax on the rear, with 10K on them. The wear is minimal and the handling greatly improved. Thanks for all the tips and ideas, all I have to do now is convince myself that I want to start removing panels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BearX16 View Post
    I got the 9005 HB3 from Amazon. On another note I've got the Quatrac 5 on the front and Altimax on the rear, with 10K on them. The wear is minimal and the handling greatly improved. Thanks for all the tips and ideas, all I have to do now is convince myself that I want to start removing panels.
    Swapping headlight bulbs on a Spyder RT is not to difficult for a person with average or better than average mechanical skills and correct tools for the job. Suggest, you might purchase the applicable maintenance manual and read as needed the tasks before attempting them.
    If your confidence in your mechanical ability or lack of tools holds you back, maybe find another local owner to help. Feed them lunch and beer and you should be good to go.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Swapping headlight bulbs on a Spyder RT is not to difficult for a person with average or better than average mechanical skills and correct tools for the job. Suggest, you might purchase the applicable maintenance manual and read as needed the tasks before attempting them.
    If your confidence in your mechanical ability or lack of tools holds you back, maybe find another local owner to help. Feed them lunch and beer and you should be good to go.
    But that top screw requires exceptional dexterity.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    But that top screw requires exceptional dexterity.
    BearX has a Gen 1 body style 2014 RTS based on his photo. Not quite sure which top screw you are referring to. Never had an issue just using a proper length 1/4 drive extension and socket. As I mentioned, and not focused at you 2Dogs, this task is average or slightly above average skills to get the headlights removed and reinstalled with no damage or issues with the high beam shutters. Not so much difficult, but more involved than a screw change.

Spyder Garage

Default lost a screw when doing the swap

Just did the swap on my 2015 RT-S. Lost one of my eyebrow torx screws in an opening just above the back of the frunk. Had to replace out of backup stock. Anyone know of where it went or if it will show up again someday?? If you can locate the area I mentioned, you might want to stuff a rag in it before starting on the eyebrow.

Spyder Garage

Just did the swap on my 2015 RT-S. Lost one of my eyebrow torx screws in an opening just above the back of the frunk. Had to replace out of backup stock. Anyone know of where it went or if it will show up again someday?? If you can locate the area I mentioned, you might want to stuff a rag in it before starting on the eyebrow.
    So far, in the many times I have removed those panels, I have yet to not find every screw if dropped.
    Ironic, the last time apart, and far more than accessing headlights, I found the screw the dealer lost a while back when doing some warranty work, it was either replacing all DESS components including key switch, or it was when they replaced the left side paddle shift assembly.
    So upon reassembly, reinstalled the correct screw replacing their same but shiny screw the dealer installed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    BearX has a Gen 1 body style 2014 RTS based on his photo. Not quite sure which top screw you are referring to. Never had an issue just using a proper length 1/4 drive extension and socket. As I mentioned, and not focused at you 2Dogs, this task is average or slightly above average skills to get the headlights removed and reinstalled with no damage or issues with the high beam shutters. Not so much difficult, but more involved than a screw change.
    Next time I enter that cave I think I going to use the magnetic extension trick. On a scale of 1 to 10, it's at least a 5.