Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default The Truth about LED bulbs - Don't Buy LED Bulbs Before Watching This!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Led bulb for headlights

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Thank you…..very informative.👍
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Headlight Revolution has a number of informative videos like this; they seem like a reputable company.

It would be interesting to know how popular LED headlight kits from Lamonster, etc., stack up against these specs. Led shape, size and location? Heat dissipation? Driver type and location? Wiring and connectors?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Plus things have evolved quite a bit since that video was made 2 1/2 years ago.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    Plus things have evolved quite a bit since that video was made 2 1/2 years ago.
    ... a couple of months back I needed to replace my headlights .... I took a chance on some made the by " Fahren " brand ..... they are waaaaay better than the ones from TriCled .... for less money by about 1/3 the price ( ie.$39.06 ) .... JMHO .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-02-2022 at 11:30 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Does anyone happen to know the series designation of the OEM halogen bulbs for the 2014 RT headlights?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Does anyone happen to know the series designation of the OEM halogen bulbs for the 2014 RT headlights?
    ... I bought 9005 / HB3, they fit fine ..... good luck ... Mike ..... I suggest you try the above Fahren LED's ... I don't do much Night riding, because of Night Blindness ( 75 yrs. old ) .... but when I do these bulbs light up the road very,very well

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ... I bought 9005 / HB3, they fit fine ..... good luck ... Mike ..... I suggest you try the above Fahren LED's ... I don't do much Night riding, because of Night Blindness ( 75 yrs. old ) .... but when I do these bulbs light up the road very,very well
    Yes, I think they are 9005. These are the 9005-compatible LED bulbs carried by Headlight revolution; https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...cecategory:asc

I doubt Lamonster, Tricled, etc design their own bulbs, so I wonder which manufacturer theirs most emulate and how they fare against the criteria mentioned in the OP's video?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I, like BK, avoid riding at night for the same reason(s), but when I do, I drink Dos Equis.

Spyder Garage

Headlight Revolution has a number of informative videos like this; they seem like a reputable company.

It would be interesting to know how popular LED headlight kits from Lamonster, etc., stack up against these specs. Led shape, size and location? Heat dissipation? Driver type and location? Wiring and connectors?
    I use them and have since getting the byke new (2016).... They are still working!! I had one of their DRL's fail but the headlights are SOLID! The drivers are average size and not an issue as there is PLENTY of room in there to put them, the wiring and connectors are weather tight and solid as well.... The light pattern & quality is MUCH better than stock of course. Not sure I would "venture" to change away from them seeing as they have been so solid for me.... I believe I used the ones by Fahren on my wife's Camry with good results....

'15 F3-S Pure Magnesium Metallic - Mad Max Edition
    '15 Mclaren 650S Coupe - Aurora Blue

"You Were Really Flyin', When I Passed You Back There!"

Chuck
    2015 F3-S , Pure Magnesium Metallic/Steel Black Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
    I use them and have since getting the byke new (2016).... They are still working!! I had one of their DRL's fail but the headlights are SOLID! The drivers are average size and not an issue as there is PLENTY of room in there to put them, the wiring and connectors are weather tight and solid as well.... The light pattern & quality is MUCH better than stock of course. Not sure I would "venture" to change away from them seeing as they have been so solid for me.... I believe I used the ones by Fahren on my wife's Camry with good results....
    Can you clarify which brand you're talking about?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The next time I need headlight bulbs, I may get these I think. Watch the video. https://www.headlightrevolution.com/...4_2?quantity=1 9005/HB3: S-V.4, although the Fahrens that Mike favors look good also at a fraction of the price...
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-02-2022 at 06:30 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is this the one, Mike? https://www.amazon.com/9005-HB3-Head...29670799&psc=1

Is the driver built into the housing? It seems to have great specs for the price.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The next time I need headlight bulbs, I may get these I think. ... S-V.4, ...
    About a year ago, I got new bulbs for my 'new' van and my wife's car. I got Morimoto 9005 2-stroke 3.0 for the DRL bulbs on the van and S-V.4 bulbs for all the rest. VERY impressed with them all.

I probably would have gotten S-V.4s for all of them, but the Morimotos have a DRL function that works at lower intensity. None of the others that Headlight Revolution tested have that. Works well in my van.

I have TricLED bulbs in the Spyder. Had I known about the others, I might have waited.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting. When I went to buy led bulbs for my GMC Canyon on HR's website, there was a cautionary note wrapped in legal mumbo jumbo, that said basically the headlights aren't legal per DOT to be used on-road. But their video promotes them for the truck. I've since researched this issue a little and it seems aftermarket LEDs are too bright for current highway use because of outdated regulations (some states, like NY, have even stricter brightness standards than DOT, using the old 'candlepower' measure). Check out this 4 y.o. article https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...ay/2356307002/

So, I ordered a set of Fahrens from Amazon at 1/4 the price. That way I won't be out so much money if the lighting police nab me.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-02-2022 at 08:40 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Is this the one, Mike? https://www.amazon.com/9005-HB3-Head...29670799&psc=1

Is the driver built into the housing? It seems to have great specs for the price.
    YEP those are Exactly what I bought .... & yes I think the Drivers are built in .... I had no issues fitting them into the RT housing .... and that price is what I paid ..... PS Fahren makes the same model bulb in higher wattage ( ie more Lumens of brightness ) for only a bit more money..... I'm really very satisfied with them ... those others $ 197.00

Spyder Garage

Interesting. When I went to buy led bulbs for my GMC Canyon on HR's website, there was a cautionary note wrapped in legal mumbo jumbo, that said basically the headlights aren't legal per DOT to be used on-road. But their video promotes them for the truck. I've since researched this issue a little and it seems aftermarket LEDs are too bright for current highway use because of outdated regulations (some states, like NY, have even stricter brightness standards than DOT, using the old 'candlepower' measure). Check out this 4 y.o. article https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/...ay/2356307002/

So, I ordered a set of Fahrens from Amazon at 1/4 the price. That way I won't be out so much money if the lighting police nab me.
    Pete - D.O.T. certification costs Mucho MONEY ..... and today lots of New veh's come from the factory with LED installed .... How is anyone ( in law enforcement ) going to know whether yours are DOT certified .... are they going to dis-mantle your headlights ... I think not .... good luck ... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete - D.O.T. certification costs Mucho MONEY ..... and today lots of New veh's come from the factory with LED installed .... How is anyone ( in law enforcement ) going to know whether yours are DOT certified .... are they going to dis-mantle your headlights ... I think not .... good luck ... Mike
    I realize that, Mike. I was just kidding about getting nabbed. But, it may explain why my truck came stock with halogens (that manufacturers have to redesign headlights specifically for LEDs). Didn't make sense to me before.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-03-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up HIDs for me

2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

I bet I said "hu" about a dozen times during that video. (That's a good thing)
    2017 SPYDER RT LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What the police do here in mexifornia (if they have the time to make the stop) is issue a fix-ticket and send you to a certified auto repair station to have the bulbs verified. Something I saw just the other day was a car with a blue headlight and a white headlight. They didn't seem overly bright but they sure as hell caught your attention.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    What the police do here in mexifornia (if they have the time to make the stop) is issue a fix-ticket and send you to a certified auto repair station to have the bulbs verified. Something I saw just the other day was a car with a blue headlight and a white headlight. They didn't seem overly bright but they sure as hell caught your attention.
    Actually, I wish there was universal enforcement. I sure get tired of being blinded by oncoming vehicles (usually jacked up trucks) blinding me with their low beams!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Actually, I wish there was universal enforcement. I sure get tired of being blinded by oncoming vehicles (usually jacked up trucks) blinding me with their low beams!
    Actually pick-ups don't have to be " jacked up " to cause issue .... I have yet to see a pick-up whose headlights arn't ...TWO FEET HIGHER than a cars.... that's the real problem..... also folks whose headlights arn't properly aimed .... JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ok, now here we go again. What really T's me off are the pickups, particularly those that run their dam blinding miss adjusted fog lights when there's no dam fog. Anybody else with me here?

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    What really T's me off are the pickups run their dam fog lights when there's no dam fog. Anybody else with me here?
    Don’t forget all the passenger cars and their so called driving lights....both of these should be called BLINDING LIGHTS!

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper