Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default GWRRA Org. SHUTTING DOWN

GWRRA Customer Service <customerservice@gwrra.org>

Important GWRRA Annoucement

This is a SAD day for all bikers!!!

Spyder Garage

So I just went there and it says the public office is shutting down for safety but nothing about the rest of the organization going down.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I posted this in another thread...... I have been a GWRRA member for many years. Today I got an email from them with a video attachment announcing the end of GWRRA. Not going bankrupt, just shutting down due to changes in motorcycle markets and interest in the club. Membership has dwindled from more than 80,000 to about 8,000. It was dying a slow death. Sad..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

just watched video on their website and it appears that they are shutting the organization down.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

GWRRA is having their 43rd "Wing Ding" here in Shreveport this week. I went yesterday, just to look around, and to see if there was anything that I may want to buy for the Spyder.

Nothing was said or announced.

--Exco

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here is the link to the GWRRA video that tells they are shutting down

Spyder Garage

Truly a sad day for the Goldwing. A very proud motorcycle for many, many years!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I could barely hear them, but what a shame. There are plenty of Gold Wings still out there and new ones being sold. Why are the owners not joining the association?
    BTW Larry thanks for posting the video.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

I got out of the f the BMWMOA after 30 years. It wasn’t in line with my interest anymore.
    2010 RT
    2015 Ural
    1980 & 1982 R65 BMW
    1975 R90/6 BMW
    1956 Triumph TR3A

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately I have to admit that I am one of the many Goldwing owners who let my membership lapse years ago, and never renewed. It wasn't anything negative about the organization, I just became more involved with other organizations and activities. It's always tough to see established institutions disolve, but most will at some time. I thank the founders for their many contributions over the years, and wish them well.
    Skip H.
    '21 Can Am Spyder F3 S
    '97 Honda Goldwing w/Hannigan Astro 2+2 sidecar

[img]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    . Why are the owners not joining the association?
    BTW Larry thanks for posting the video.
    My husband and I tried joining the the organization in SoCal years ago. We were surrounded by chapters, none of them very welcoming. I guess if you didn't wear matching vests full of pins and a funny Zebra hat, you weren't part of the in-crowd. We were in a crowd, yet still all alone. We had great fun at the Wing Dings, but those people were largely from east of the Mississippi. We're now a part of MSTA. Much smaller, but more fun.
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Spyder Garage

I belonged for a while and even though I never went to their events I felt almost as an outcast utilizing their website. I have moved on since. I'm sure if people who have similar likes will always get together and enjoy themselves.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

My wife and I enjoyed GWRRA for many years until we bought a Valkyrie Interstate. I know what the sign says, but we were suddenly the red headed step child that nobody wanted to be seen with. We left. We rode the Valkyrie for three years and 80K miles and then switched to European machines. I don't foresee ever buying another machine from the big four. Even though we felt shunned and made the decision to move on I hate to see them fold, but it has been coming for a long time. No organization did more to promote motorcycle touring and safety than the GWRRA in my opinion.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Why are the owners not joining the association?.
    I can’t understand why NEW owners are not joining, but I sure understand why they’re not renewing a membership. I found them to be a very cliquey group. I was at a GW rally (was riding an ‘86 wing at the time), and was a member at large with no particular group affiliation, and was totally, completely IGNORED. I was deemed an OUTCAST. My membership expired and I never did renew it. This after 5 years a member.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

yup! same experience here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Yup... cliquey is the term I would use also. But I have limited experience with them as we went to only 3 GWRRA area meetings. We got nothing but the cold shoulder at all 3 meetings even though we were each riding a 2008 GL1800 Gold Wing trike. We never knew if it was because of the the Gold Wings were trikes or if this bunch just didn't want any new members. No matter... 3 strikes and we took ourselves out of there... never looked back.
    2021 RT Ltd, Marsala Red/Black, Dark
    New course heading Mr Sulu: 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning...

Spyder Garage

I joined for one year for the road insurance. Their site had trouble logging me on for two months. I went to one local chapter meeting and was one of two to show up on a bike. Yep, matching outfits, pins, stuffed mascots - and meeting at Shoneys. I went to two WingDings. Had a ball watching Top Gun practice at one, but then it rained and their lawyers wouldn't let them have the competition. All Top Gun was canceled after that. Went to the 2018 WingDing in Knoxville (semi-local for me) and showed my '78 with '75 custom in Pistol Pete's booth to encourage folks not to let the old bike set and rust away - have fun with them. Learned that GWRRA was a corporation owned by and run for the profit of the originators that ran the home office. I guess they decided to retire on their wealth accumulated.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    My wife and I enjoyed GWRRA for many years until we bought a Valkyrie Interstate. I know what the sign says, but we were suddenly the red headed step child that nobody wanted to be seen with. We left.
    When my wife and I joined about 20 years ago, I was on a Kawasaki, she was on a Suzuki, our older son was on a Yamaha. Had to join as Associate members because we did not have a Wing, but it was still a welcoming bunch of friendly people. It was about 5 years later that we got a Wing, but nothing really changed. Good times all around. Our Chapter was not into all the matching outfits, but we did have T-shirts in the Chapter color and the Chapter name embroidered. I think some of the members (probably the officers) did have their "official" uniforms with the vests and patches for the major rallies and events, but we were mostly a casual riding group.

My wife just saw something on her FakeBook feed that announced that our chapter had re-named to something not related to GWRRA, this might have been the motivation for that move.

HER ride:
    2017 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

My rides:
    2000 Honda GL1500SE
    1980 Suzuki GS850G

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the very early 80's wife and I stopped by Sturgis. We were on a US tour riding a Venture Royal. We were shunned by the HD crowd as well as the GW'ers. Stayed there for a couple of hours and left. For what it's worth there may be a lesson in here somewhere for SRA. Even the BK's seem to be following the same path as GWRRA. Too many of the origination's top end playing musical chairs. Just a sign of the times I guess.

Spyder Garage

In the Early 80's the HD crowd was snubbing everybody. I would have been on a Venture also at that time. The club I was riding with tho an all-bikes welcome group consisted of mostly Gold Wings. I was subject to a lot of ribbing about my Venture but today only about half of the members are on Gold Wings, The rest on an assortment of Harley's, BMW's, Triumph's, European and Japanese sport bikes, and adventure bikes and trikes and Spyders. I think that diversification, and the aging of the Gold Wing type of rider has probably done a lot to the demise of GWRRA.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hut1 View Post
    It's always tough to see established institutions dissolve, but most will at some time. I thank the founders for their many contributions over the years, and wish them well.
    Well said!

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Why are the owners not joining the association?
    For the same reason younger folks are not joining service clubs like Lions and Kiwanis and churches, and so on. They also have lost interest in school class reunions. The under 40 (50 maybe?) crowd is just not interested in being a part of an established organization that is largely based on getting together.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Interests have seemed to shift to social media and on-line games. Just go into any restaurant and look at family's sitting together. Most all will be playing with their phones. Sad..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by canamjhb View Post
    Interests have seemed to shift to social media and on-line games. Just go into any restaurant and look at family's sitting together. Most all will be playing with their phones. Sad..... Jim
    Better than arguing I suppose.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    For the same reason younger folks are not joining service clubs like Lions and Kiwanis and churches, and so on. They also have lost interest in school class reunions. The under 40 (50 maybe?) crowd is just not interested in being a part of an established organization that is largely based on getting together.
    Maybe because those organizations are controlled by old, stodgy curmudgeons. Just look at veterans' organizations...same thing
    2014 RTL Platinum