Spyder Garage

Default 2008 GS SM5 engaging Reverse without using lever! Any ideas why? Fixes??

Hello all,

I have a 2008 GS SM5 that has a reverse gear issue. For some reason I am able to engage the reverse gear without using the R lever. As you all know you have to be in first gear, pull the lever and kick down a notch. Mine will do it without pulling the lever. I found this out while at a stop light and tapped on the shifter to make sure I was in first. I went to take off and the bike went backwards. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I am going to try and bleed the clutch with fresh fluid and then maybe an oil change in hopes that might solve the issue. The only other option I can think of is getting a Barnett clutch kit and replacing clutch plates since its a pretty easy job and doesnt require a full tear down. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Have you looked down at the reverse lever at the bottom end of the cable to see why it's not returning? Perhaps the spring down there is broken. It's not a clutch issue.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

Spyder Garage

When you pull the R lever it is to release the reverse lockout which is designed to prevent the situation that you encountered. Definitely check the assembly at the bottom to see which component failed. The cable could be sticking or the spring could be dislocated or broken.
    I agree it’s not a clutch or an oil issue.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    When you pull the R lever it is to release the reverse lockout which is designed to prevent the situation that you encountered. Definitely check the assembly at the bottom to see which component failed. The cable could be sticking or the spring could be dislocated or broken.
    Freddy and YPILOT....thank you for your inputs. I will take a look at the assembly. I guess I was just assuming the worst considering the age of my Spyder. I have had it since 2011 and I guess its starting to show some age.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by YPILOT View Post
    You guys were right. A few shots of PB Blaster on the mechanism cleared it right up. Thanks for your rational solutions.