Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Question Topping off your fuel tank - is it good practice??

Is topping off your fuel tank a good practice?
    My research finds ,NO
    Raw fuel can be drawn into the evaporative emission system damaging the purge valve and canister. When fuel get hot it expands, engine off hot soak….. it’s going somewhere…..
    Let the discussion begin…..
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Topping off the Spyder is a PIA. (1) more click after initial shut off is all I normally do. When long distance traveling, I'll try to nurse more.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

If traveling and going through a tank or more in a day I will top it off. If just running around local I don't always bother trying to get that last bit in the tank. I have a 2015RT and it doesn't seem to have the issue of fuel getting into the canister like some of my past bikes have had. My BMW 1150RT was very bad about this. 50,000 miles and I am guilty of topping off sometimes, but no issues so far.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

After the first click I'll trickle fuel in until the 2nd click, then quit while I'm ahead. When I had my Ryker I hated when the fuel ran out the over fill hose, so I never pumped more then 5 gallons into the tank. I hate paying for fuel on the ground. Especially nowadays.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I learned the hard way to not "top off" your gas tank; a $1500.00 r&r for the evap system on the wife's RAV was hard to swallow. On my RTL, I just insert the nozzle an inch, instead of burying it, and wait 'til the pump kicks off or a little splashback comes from the vent openings.

2020 Spyder RT Limited; Deep Marsala/Chrome

Formosa AZ01 165/50/R16's on PPA Recluse wheels up front
    General Altimax RT43 215/60/R15 on factory rear

Primary exhaust: RLS Cat delete w/ his baffle; secondary, custom built w/ Flowmaster HS2
    Suspension: BajaRon swaybar (highly recommended!), M2 coil-overs, front & rear (also highly recomended!)
    Extra LED lighting and misc. to suit my needs/wants

Spyder Garage

yep, I carry a long skinny funnel in the frunk that I use when doing all day rides. I've found that having the gas nozzle in about 1.5" it will click off when there is easily room for another gallon, maybe more. I then insert the funnel all the way down and trickle by watching as the level rises to where it is about to run over the edge of the filler opening. At that point I let it settle back down then repeat until I have added another full gallon. It only takes a few minutes and gives me peace of mind that I can usually make 200+ miles before needing fuel again. I try not to push it that far but sometimes here in remote areas, gas stations can be 200 or more miles apart.

If just kicking around town for rides of less than 200 miles, I skip the funnel and click a couple of times then go.

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

"I just insert the nozzle an inch, instead of burying it, and wait 'til the pump kicks off or a little splashback comes from the vent openings."
    Same here.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    Is topping off your fuel tank a good practice?
    My research finds ,NO
    Raw fuel can be drawn into the evaporative emission system damaging the purge valve and canister. When fuel get hot it expands, engine off hot soak….. it’s going somewhere…..
    Let the discussion begin…..
    Here's my experience .... The V-twin engine & frame design was flawed .... the OEM system allowed Gas to get into the EVAP cannister ( I re-routed some of the tubing & solved that ) .... The 1330 system was re-signed and doesn't allow GAS do enter the EVAP can .... I have Always filled my gas tanks to the LIP of the locking ring .... I don't spill any Gas .... and haven't had any issues with the EVAP cans .... good luck ... Mike

The Woodlands, Texas and Pipe Creek, Texas
    Spyder Garage

I've always topped my bikes off before I put them in the garage. This was to keep the tanks from rusting if the bike sat up a bit. Is this a good procedure on a Spyder?

Spyder Garage

I try to fill to the same level every time - though that is kind of a subjective thing I think. I use the tripmeter for my fuel gauge, so consistent fill ups help. I fill very slow until the fuel level is at the bottom of the fill hole.
    2022 Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

I've been fiddling with this issue for almost eight years. In my experience the single biggest factor in filling the tank is the volume of gas coming out of the nozzle. For example, currently only one pump nozzle at my local Costco allows the user to really slow the fuel flow; the other 11 are junk. I find that issue throughout all the states I've ridden my Spyder through. Ergo, it's nothing more than a crap shoot to consistently determine how full one is filling the tank. I use the half inch nozzle rule after the first nozzle auto shut off. Sometimes I win, more frequently than not I lose. For Spyders we could benefit from hand cranked pumps.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

When I go to buy gasoline for my car I bring a 5-1/2 gallon gas can and fill it up so I can top off my Spyder when I get home. I hate dealing with the gas pumps and trying to fill the Spyder at the station as that process is incredibly slow and irritating. I fill’er up like BLUENIGHT911.
    2021 Spyder RT Limited Asphalt Gray Chrome Edition
    2022 Spyder RT Limited Hyper Silver Chrome Edition
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Vanquest Gen 2 7x10 First Aid Trauma Pack
    Garage Door Opener
    iPass
    DJI Action 2
    Tackform Anti-Vibe Phone Cradle
    UltraGard Full Covers
    Show Chrome rear trunk lid lift strut
    Noco Genius 1
    Noco GBX Booster X
    Show Chrome Platinum Grande Adjustable Padded Driver Backrest with Storage Pouch
    Baseus Cordless Inflator

Spyder Garage

Usually depends on what I am doing after. If its on the road for a while I usually try to squeeze in some extra. If I am heading home to park it, then I'll usually stop after the first click.

2012 Spyder RT Limited in Lava Bronze Metallic
    2012 RT Limited , Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I use the "fill slowly up to the ring method." Have not had a mishap with overfill in my ownership of seven Spyders.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I always fueled at the beginning of each day's ride on my 2014 RTL. My rides were almost always in a group....(Start with full fuel and empty bladder). I always topped off to the locking ring with never a problem. Our group rides would easily exceed 200 miles at times and without adding that extra gallon I couldn't comfortably go the distance..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been thinking about the funnel thing but haven't done it, yet. I'm gonna try that and see how it works. I always fill to the locking ring. Always. I get real nervous come 200 miles. I generally fill up at 150 miles to be safe. I've been a long distance pedestrian once and I never want to be one again.

Spyder Garage

Thought topping off issues were resolved with the 1330anyhow lil fun to go with33868FD9-AB31-448F-9A31-4CBFAF545297.jpeg

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Here's my experience .... The V-twin engine & frame design was flawed .... the OEM system allowed Gas to get into the EVAP cannister ( I re-routed some of the tubing & solved that ) .... The 1330 system was re-signed and doesn't allow GAS do enter the EVAP can .... I have Always filled my gas tanks to the LIP of the locking ring .... I don't spill any Gas .... and haven't had any issues with the EVAP cans .... good luck ... Mike
    Exactly like my Standard Procedure! Also I just switched to 87 octane (Regular) gas, (after 6,000 miles of 93), and haven't noticed any problems or differences
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

I top it off as much as I can get in there. Always!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I got a gasoline shower one time too many trying to top off. The pumps at my station are either full on or off, so one click for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I've been thinking about the funnel thing but haven't done it, yet. I'm gonna try that and see how it works. I always fill to the locking ring. Always. I get real nervous come 200 miles. I generally fill up at 150 miles to be safe. I've been a long distance pedestrian once and I never want to be one again.
    I use a 11" funnel like in the pic. Depending on how well the pump you choose that day trickles, it's possible to keep the level about even with the top of the filler cup and let it trickle down until it is touching the bottom of the filler cup. You might also notice I have opened those larger vents and the little on in the center slightly with an awl. That extra venting made a little difference but not a lot.

If the pump you use doesn't trickle well, you may have to get sort of a rhythm going so you bump it wait for it to drain down a second or two then repeat. I typically stop at the bottom of the cup but that nearly always gets another gallon after the first auto-stop.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cruisinTX View Post
    I use a 11" funnel like in the pic. Depending on how well the pump you choose that day trickles, it's possible to keep the level about even with the top of the filler cup and let it trickle down until it is touching the bottom of the filler cup. You might also notice I have opened those larger vents and the little on in the center slightly with an awl. That extra venting made a little difference but not a lot.

If the pump you use doesn't trickle well, you may have to get sort of a rhythm going so you bump it wait for it to drain down a second or two then repeat. I typically stop at the bottom of the cup but that nearly always gets another gallon after the first auto-stop.
    COOL, I like that! I got the funnel and have an awl. Gonna get started on that today. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by adipaola View Post
    I got a gasoline shower one time too many trying to top off. The pumps at my station are either full on or off, so one click for me.
    THAT IS NOT GOOD! Be careful and stay with one click.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    THAT IS NOT GOOD! Be careful and stay with one click.
    Yeah, I do one half pressure click after the first, and that’s enough for me. I hate gas showers.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

i guess I'm lazy.... I put the nozzle in the tank opening when it triggers off I'm done.... I have no time nor desire to do anything else...
    RiderDuke

My Ride
    2021 Glacial Blue Metallic F3-T