Spyder Garage

Default Another recall!! Headlights on 2017 Can-Am Spyder RT's

I found this by accident; It was news to me. It wasn't done on my 2017 RTS before I bought it new in July of 2018. The recall notice on the BRP site clearly states "Do not deliver any involved vehicle that you have in stock as federal law requires you to complete the recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery." It would seem that this was ignored by iMotorsports.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...-too-high.html

This might explain why I sometimes get flashed at night by oncoming vehicles. Has anyone had this done? I can only imagine the amount of time I'll have to wait for the replacement parts.
    Hope the link works. If not, the recall notice is easily found on the BRP site.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinTX View Post
    This might explain why I sometimes get flashed at night by oncoming vehicles.
    And you have never thought to check the aim on your headlights? Simple procedure shown in the owners manual.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found this by accident; It was news to me. It wasn't done on my 2017 RTS before I bought it new in July of 2018. The recall notice on the BRP site clearly states "Do not deliver any involved vehicle that you have in stock as federal law requires you to complete the recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery." It would seem that this was ignored by iMotorsports.

https://can-am.brp.com/on-road/us/en...-too-high.html

This might explain why I sometimes get flashed at night by oncoming vehicles. Has anyone had this done? I can only imagine the amount of time I'll have to wait for the replacement parts.
    Hope the link works. If not, the recall notice is easily found on the BRP site.
    The link works. The bulletin doesn't say much. Seems they might have been adjusted too high at the factory. Simple fix if so.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Better hope you don’t need the headlight assembly or fog light assembly for the left side of the RT. IVE BEEN WAITING since last October 18th for a fog light and headlight assembly. I had to tape the fog light lens. They had to silicone a nursed lens for the headlight on till it comes inorder to pass inspection after getting hit by a deer. Been pushed back 6 times and is now expected delivery this October now. NO JOKE there are no assemblies of either left side in all of North America.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

Well it happens pretty infrequently, as in sometimes, as I stated, and not every single time I ride at night. And yes, I have "thought to check the aim," and yes, I understand that it is a "fairly simple procedure" if you have a level driveway of the proper length with a high fence at the end, which I do not. Seems to me that if they could be adjusted, the recall issued by NHTSA and BRP would say just that, and not that there is a manufacturing error within the headlight assembly and that the defective headlights will be replaced free of charge. Sometimes one should actually read recall notices to be fully informed.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 06-27-2022 at 07:35 PM.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well it happens pretty infrequently, as in sometimes, as I stated, and not every single time I ride at night. And yes, I have "thought to check the aim," and yes, I understand that it is a "fairly simple procedure" if you have a level driveway of the proper length with a high fence at the end, which I do not. Seems to me that if they could be adjusted, the recall issued by NHTSA and BRP would say just that, and not that there is a manufacturing error within the headlight assembly and that the defective headlights will be replaced free of charge. Sometimes one should actually read recall notices to be fully informed.
    I adjusted mine in my garage, lacking a long level driveway. I used geometry to recalculate the necessary variables.

I did read it all the way through. Take it to your dealer.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-27-2022 at 08:24 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Pete, I was referring to post #2. And you have a 2014, not a 2017. 2014's are not affected by the recall, only 2017's.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete, I was referring to post #2. And you have a 2014, not a 2017. 2014's are not affected by the recall, only 2017's.
    Yes, I know that. I doubt the headlight aiming mechanism is unique to 2017s, but I could be wrong.

Let us know the outcome. Thanks.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-27-2022 at 07:42 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I was just thinking it would be a quick check to see if you might have the problem. Since you bought it new a year after the recall was issued it might have even been fixed at the factory before shipment.

The bad part of the whole thing is the pressure in the rear air bag can make a big difference in where the headlights are aimed.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

One thing that is not unique to the Spyder is the head light display that BRP uses. I had the same problem with my CanAm Side by Side. The head light pattern has a very definite horizontal cut-off......light shining below the line and not above. When going over bumps or uneven terrain, the head lights would appear to flash. Any time I followed someone in either my Spyder or Commander, I always advised the leader that bumps will make it look like I was flashing them. This characteristic may account for occasional oncoming drivers flashing back. It happened to me a lot. I know my Spyder was not subject of the recall in question but this could be a cause for some issues..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi