Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Be very careful out there folks! Passed an accident scene today!

My wife and I were on the way home from a weekend ride this afternoon and came across an accident scene that occurred earlier in the day. Two large motorcycles vs a semi head on. The highway department was in the process of cleaning up the scene when we arrived. Victims had been airlifted out and the semi had been towed away. The scene was a narrow 2 lane winding road with high lava rock banks. The wife saw two black motorcycles in a highway department dump trailer. I was watching the road and saw a M/C front wheel and half of the front forks still attached to the wheel laying in the ditch. Imagine the force it takes to rip the front wheel and forks off a motorcycle. Be dam careful out there folks.

Spyder Garage

Yep, I always ride with the thought that someone is going to try to kill me .
    I don't know why I ride, thinking like that.

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default This is Tuff

...I have been very careful about this time of year. Summer is starting and more and more drinking and driving is becoming a big problem. Just saying that this is something you need to carefully be aware.

Spyders are very safe. If everyone is safe then we all win.
    Enjoy your Ryde Time and Stay Safe. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

To quote the old Hill Street Blues opening scene: "Be careful out there."

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure how anyone could avoid being hit head-on by a semi in your lane. Sorry to hear about this. Was it in Lassen N.P.?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I'm not sure how anyone could avoid being hit head-on by a semi in your lane. Sorry to hear about this. Was it in Lassen N.P.?
    No Pete, this occurred north of Lassen Park about 8/10 miles. Very near the vista rest area between Lassen and Hat Creek. The first tight turn after the long straight away going south from the vista. It's a tight rising turn with a quick drop off at the end of the turn which tends to move you into the oncoming lane if you are going too fast. I think that may have caused the accident. Too much speed by the semi. If you're coming the other way you tend to cheat the turn and hug the center line. Recipe for disaster.

Spyder Garage

As a former MSF instructor I always told riders to drive like they were invisible. I always do the same. That includes slowing and making certain you have a clear road and can see oncoming traffic especially with corners that are blind or with limited visibility.

Many years back I was run off the road by a bus rounding a blind corner in my lane. Lesson learned!

Just my first trip with the Spyder.
    Jeff

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ...I have been very careful about this time of year. Summer is starting and more and more drinking and driving is becoming a big problem. Just saying that this is something you need to carefully be aware.

Spyders are very safe. If everyone is safe then we all win.
    Enjoy your Ryde Time and Stay Safe. .....
    Also, add that people are using there cell phones and texting while driving.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoster View Post
    As a former MSF instructor I always told riders to drive like they were invisible. I always do the same. That includes slowing and making certain you have a clear road and can see oncoming traffic especially with corners that are blind or with limited visibility.

Many years back I was run off the road by a bus rounding a blind corner in my lane. Lesson learned!
    Just finished reading a comment on FB from a local who witnessed the two motorcyclists earlier down the road and said the lead rider was taking the turns leaning over the center line. That's a clue. I have seen that style of riding before and it always seems to be HD riders that do that.

Spyder Garage

Situational awareness, riding as if invisible, being aware of escape routes..... All important things to do to insure we are all riding well into our old age. I think almost every rider with a good amount of miles under their belt have encountered situations that required evasive action in order to preserve life. I know I have had more than a couple. Sometimes I get too comfortable and let my guard down. Those little lapses scare me. That's when something bad can happen. The older I get and as my reflexes slow down a bit, the more I try to maintain CONSTANT concentration. Wishing all my forum friends safe and happy travels..... Jim

P.S. Ghoster, I think you and I have been following each other around. Your signature map looks awfully familiar.
    Last edited by canamjhb; 06-27-2022 at 02:11 PM.
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Angry Straightening out the turns is deadly----------

What a great thing to read about when starting a long road trip on the . I do tend to hug the inside of the right hand turns to keep the oncoming a little further away from me and my wife. Slowing down when I have a sharp left turn and staying well clear of the stripe makes her feel better also. Some people think the street is their own personal race track.

Straightening out the turns is deadly----------

Lew L
    Last edited by Lew L; 06-27-2022 at 07:54 PM.
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

What a great thing to read about when starting a long road trip on the . I do tend to hug the inside of the right hand turns to keep the oncoming a little further away from me and my wife. Slowing down when I have a sharp left turn and staying well clear of the stripe makes her feel better also. Some people think the street is their own personal race track.

Straightening out the turns is deadly----------

Lew L
    I tend to come in high and stay high, or come in low and stay low. I prefer hugging the fog line if possible.