Spyder Garage

Default Dumb question on that horrible and expensive sounding noise LHS of engine.

Not really surprising for me I have had a couple of bikes over the years. I still have 1 or 2 in the shed. I do mostly all my own maintenance work because I enjoy it and I am sure its done correctly, no rip shi.. and bust - wheres the next victim? So they are all Tickity-boo and good to go.

Nobody I know has a Spyder and they are pretty thin on the ground around here, so I do not have another one to compare the noise with. My new to me F3 began to concern me. That noise, left hand side of the engine. The more I listened to it the more I noticed it. It began to really bug me. Never heard anything like it on a bike that runs just fine.

I was near a dealership the other day so I popped in for a look at whats on offer for sale and a chat about my Spyder. Thought I would ask someone who new what was what with these Spyders. Thinking possibly this is going to be an expensive stop and quietly fearing the worst.... He came out and had a listen. Then laughed his head off. Said dont look so concerned, they all sound like that. Normal.

I felt a but embarrassed but it was good piece of mind. I gotta say I enjoyed my ride back and hardly noticed the noise at all.

So if something is bugging you or you wish to ask about something, well dont be shy as there are no dumb questions.

Spyder Garage

I would have the dealer start up another Spyder so that you could compare sounds.

Spyder Garage

I found that wearing good earplugs makes the sound go away.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    I found that wearing good earplugs makes the sound go away.
    Remind me to NOT take any of your advise!.....Bill....
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Isopedella View Post
    Not really surprising for me I have had a couple of bikes over the years. I still have 1 or 2 in the shed. I do mostly all my own maintenance work because I enjoy it and I am sure its done correctly, no rip shi.. and bust - wheres the next victim? So they are all Tickity-boo and good to go.

Nobody I know has a Spyder and they are pretty thin on the ground around here, so I do not have another one to compare the noise with. My new to me F3 began to concern me. That noise, left hand side of the engine. The more I listened to it the more I noticed it. It began to really bug me. Never heard anything like it on a bike that runs just fine.

I was near a dealership the other day so I popped in for a look at whats on offer for sale and a chat about my Spyder. Thought I would ask someone who new what was what with these Spyders. Thinking possibly this is going to be an expensive stop and quietly fearing the worst.... He came out and had a listen. Then laughed his head off. Said dont look so concerned, they all sound like that. Normal.

I felt a but embarrassed but it was good piece of mind. I gotta say I enjoyed my ride back and hardly noticed the noise at all.

So if something is bugging you or you wish to ask about something, well dont be shy as there are no dumb questions.
    A few pics to go with that thought

21BE01B0-509D-4474-A0D4-D65296018C6E.jpg

345515D0-A4DE-4A25-B3A5-502CAE373615.jpeg

243DB2E0-3574-4FF2-AED4-FD31290BF9AC.jpg

B166B1F9-E31B-4ECC-A927-5A8A48BA4381.jpeg

& the pranks

37EA403C-C917-441C-B55F-F234315534A7.jpg

4C0C10D7-80FD-4F0B-BBC0-B9DF20E17030.jpeg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-27-2022 at 12:35 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Find someone with an air-cooled Moto Guzzi Norge 1150. Even the MG guy next island over says rattles like a bucket of bolts. It was gorgeous but way too fast so I gave it to a nephew. Far as I know he's still alive and out of jail. Not sure about the MG.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

The 1330 is a wonderful motor, but sewing machine quiet it ain't

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by troop View Post
    The 1330 is a wonderful motor, but sewing machine quiet it ain't

Bit like those bikes with the super rattly quick shifter clutches I hear in the gas stations I guess. Sound like they are about to self destruct. My Spyder is a probable replacement for my Wing I got it in 2011. I sneaked a look at the rev counter a few times to see if it was still going it so quiet. haha. My DR650 engine transformed into a bucket of bolts when I fitted up the alloy bash plate. I live with it but dont really like it. Zipping around the city (50 kph ) I dont generally wear the ear plugs but out of town I always wear the plugs. I am keeping a lookout for another Spyder parked or on the road but have not spotted one yet.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 06-27-2022 at 01:32 PM.