Spyder Garage

Default Too hot to handle - heat on inner thighs fm glovebox - any suggestions?

2019 RTL three cylinder 1330. I noticed last week and then again today in a big way that the heat on my inner thighs by the little glove compartment was just unbearable when riding in the heat. Engine temperature was normal or a little less than usual so no overheating problem but the engine heat coming out under the front of the seat was so hot that I had to ride for short periods standing up just to get away from the searing heat. I know that some of the older twins had heat disbursement issues but have not heard any complaints about the 1330. I do have an Ultimate seat but that shouldn't have anything to do with it. Any suggestions?
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

If you haven't already done so, replace the Cat with a cat-delete pipe. It's a space heater!
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    If you haven't already done so, replace the Cat with a cat-delete pipe. It's a space heater!
    +1 on the cat delete. I bought mine from LaMonster Garage. Didn’t totally remove the heat, but did greatly diminish it... and LaMonster started this website....give hime a few bucks.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

IMHO I don't think the " CAT " has anything to do with the Heat ..... I drove my RT w/ 1330 engine for years before I re-moved the CAT .... never had a Heat issue .... last year I was stuck in traffic on the Verrazano Bridge for 1/2 hr. at ..... 115- F .... and I didn't feel any heat. ..... If your Spyder isn't over-heating I can't imagine what could be causing that kind of Heat .... Good luck .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    IMHO I don't think the " CAT " has anything to do with the Heat ..... I drove my RT w/ 1330 engine for years before I re-moved the CAT .... never had a Heat issue .... last year I was stuck in traffic on the Verrazano Bridge for 1/2 hr. at ..... 115- F .... and I didn't feel any heat. ..... If your Spyder isn't over-heating I can't imagine what could be causing that kind of Heat .... Good luck .... Mike
    I know that when I had my cat removed, the heat rising by the seat was greatly diminished, but the heat in the glove box is still actually too high to leave a cell phone in for a full days trip. The way I see it, the heat under the seat is coming from the cat and the heat in the glovebox is coming from the engine. Just my 2 cents, and it may not be worth even 2 cents. '14 RTS
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-26-2022 at 02:06 AM. Reason: too ;-)

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Spyder Garage

Mike, on this one we will have to greatly disagree. Come on down to south LA, MS, AL, GA, FL and do that right now and you will get all the heat you ever wanted coming up off the bike. Ann suggested that I remove the the plastic panels off the bottom, helped a bunch. Put on a Ceramic coated cat delete and it helped a bunch more. Not uncommon for the dash temp gauge to read 135+ in these situations when stuck in slow moving traffic.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Mike, on this one we will have to greatly disagree. Come on down to south LA, MS, AL, GA, FL and do that right now and you will get all the heat you ever wanted coming up off the bike. Ann suggested that I remove the the plastic panels off the bottom, helped a bunch. Put on a Ceramic coated cat delete and it helped a bunch more. Not uncommon for the dash temp gauge to read 135+ in these situations when stuck in slow moving traffic.
    Ed, if what you are experiencing with the 1330 RT is Normal .... then why arn't thousands of others complaining about it ???? I hope you arn't wearing Shorts ..... good luck ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What many of us have done is install the heat management kits that BRP had introduced as a fix for the heat problems on the troubled 2013 RT's...

I along with many other here on the forum have installed these kits and the heat problem for the glove box area goes away...

There was a recent post in the last 2 weeks with someone looking for the "do it yourself" directions...Most dealers had templets issued to them to do the recalls on all 2013 RT's...There is NO painting required...But precise cutting is a MUST...larryd

Here is a post about vent kits...https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...tallation-Help
    Last edited by larryd; 06-26-2022 at 10:18 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    Maybe he's looking for a solution that doesn't contribute to atmospheric pollution....

I'd suggest the RT vent kit, if you can find one.

Maybe one of our enterprising d-I-y members can explain how to divert the heat generated by the engine away from that pocket in the bodywork where trapped heat causes the phenomenon described by the O.P. in the absence of RT vent kits (which are probably no longer being produced)
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-26-2022 at 10:35 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Maybe he's looking for a solution that doesn't contribute to atmospheric pollution....

I'd suggest the RT vent kit, if you can find one.

Maybe one of our enterprising d-I-y members can explain how to divert the heat generated by the engine away from that pocket in the bodywork where trapped heat causes the phenomenon described by the O.P. in the absence of RT vent kits (which are probably no longer being produced)
    Well waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back I installed small computer fans on my 08 GS and that fixed the heat issue .... check Flea-Bay .... they come in lots of sizes and cost only a few $$$$ .... and they mostly are shipped free .... of course this DIY ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back I installed small computer fans on my 08 GS and that fixed the heat issue .... check Flea-Bay .... they come in lots of sizes and cost only a few $$$$ .... and they mostly are shipped free .... of course this DIY ..... Mike
    I've done the same with our small travel trailer, particularly to remove heat from the back of the fridge.

It's worth a consideration. Where would you mount them and is additional venting needed do you think?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Vent kits are still available on Amazon and eBay. I had a 2013 that got the vent kit installed along with a few other improvements that were part of the recall, the vents worked so well for the problem you describe that I put them on my 2015 right after I bought it. I also put them on a friend's 2011 and they made a big difference.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I put the vent kit and a cat-delete from RLSexhaust.com and I get NO heat from under engine. I can even keep a Hershey bar in the glove box, as long as it's not sitting in the sun.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2022 at 07:19 PM. Reason: .
    2015 RTS SE6 Special Series Red/Black w/Magnesium front fenders(bought in Nov. 2018 w/9,400 miles)
    Dynojet Power Commander V, Power Commander POD-300 Display, PCV Map Switch, Pedal Commander (WOW)
    Passenger Arm Rests, Windshield Air Wing
    Baja Ron's Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters
    Air Scoops, LaMonster's Hiway Pegs
    Magnetic Mirror Mounts, Air Innovations Seat Cushion
    Red Chrome pin striping on Black hood
    Federal Formoza AZ01 front tires (they're GREAT)
    Kumho Ecsta AST KU25 All-Season Tire - 225/50R15 91H
    LED bars above radiator inlets
    LED brake/running/turn signals on license plate frame
    Tag-Along trailer
    LED headlights LED fog lights (WOW)
    2" x 2" Road Lights inside front fenders
    7' x 10' Cargo trailer
    Garmin 396 LM GPS
    RLS Cat-delete resonator with China Akropovic muffler
    New Banshee AGM
    M3 TPMS on front tires
    Remote Control for Heated Jacket and Heated Riding Pants
    Analog Clock and Analog Volt Meter
    Loose Nut Behind Handlebars
    2015 RT-S Special Series , Stock Spark Plugs Brake Pedal Extension Cherry Red/Black

Spyder Garage

LOL - So says Central Vermont!
    Now come down here, to the Southwest and test drive one with and one without.
    You'll quickly change your mind.
    That is if it hasn't gotten too well done!

AJ
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-01-2022 at 02:27 AM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I guess I will find out if the cat delete helps or not. I had earlier installed a RLS muffler and did not install a cat delete because I didn't want the extra level of loud exhaust but after four days riding in 100 degree temperatures and having the upper side of my legs literally baked to the point of having welts on the top of my legs, I installed Lamonster's cat delete to see if that would help. I did install the baffle. The heat coming up on my legs was so intense that I finally resorted to pouring bottled water on the top of my riding jeans from time to time. I would refresh the water soaking about every 45 minutes. This allowed me to complete the intended routes and get back home. Now I will find out if the cat delete helps. I don't know about the "vent kits" and if necessary will check those out but I didn't think they were available for the later models. I may have increased the heat levels by having flashed the ECU with the Stage II Monster flash, I don't know. What I do know is that without something to change the current situation my 2019 RTL is not rideable when the outside temperature is over 90 degrees. I'll post when I know if this helps. I will comment that the increase in exhaust noise is more than I wanted but tolerable if the cat delete helps.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

This thread certainly caught my attention. 2020 F3-T I would like to get above discussed heat relief on lower legs. You mention a Cat Delete modification. Would one of you kind souls give me a few highlights about this mod:
    >Is the mod simply deleting the catalytic converter?
    >if so, do you replace with exhaust pipe(s)?
    >Would there be any compromise to enforce warranties on the vehicle?
    >>Any other intel you want to offer will be much appreciated.

Gets hot in the summer in and around TN. Thanks all. GOOD STUFF ALWAYS
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-10-2022 at 07:21 PM. Reason: en

Spyder Garage

Response to Seagravesg. The cat delete is a replacement exhaust component available from several sources but I chose the version available from Lamonster one of our site sponsers. It simply replaces the catalytic converter with a custom made exhaust pipe and is simply plug and play. Got mine delivered last night and installed it in about 45 minutes. It is easy to do and but for the retention springs could be accomplished in about 15 minutes. You can retain your factory muffler or replace it if you wish with any number of alternatives. The retention springs are a little fiddly to put back in place but with a little patience are really easy to reinstall. I don't know if this will solve the problem or not. I don't see this as a warranty issue at all and keep in mind that it is only a problem when the ambient temperature is high and you are traveling long distance at highway speeds. I was on a four day ride in 100 degree temperatures and traveled over 1500 miles in that period. In ordinary local or short distance rides it would have not been a problem.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    What many of us have done is install the heat management kits that BRP had introduced as a fix for the heat problems on the troubled 2013 RT's...

I along with many other here on the forum have installed these kits and the heat problem for the glove box area goes away...

There was a recent post in the last 2 weeks with someone looking for the "do it yourself" directions...Most dealers had templets issued to them to do the recalls on all 2013 RT's...There is NO painting required...But precise cutting is a MUST...larryd

Here is a post about vent kits...https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...tallation-Help
    I put air scoops on a 2012 -NO CUTTING OF PANELS - I just assemble the scoops and removed the clear wind deflectors and the attached the scoops with the one screw . I've had great success and no rubbing of the panels from the scoops. I only used the scoops ...no brackets or insulation. I'd be hard pressed to do anything on my 14 RT-its fine. Now I wlll say the 12 RTL gets to about 1/2 way on the temp gauge sitting in traffic but it's totally ok.
    Last edited by davev1pa; 07-01-2022 at 11:06 AM.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    Response to Seagravesg. The cat delete is a replacement exhaust component available from several sources but I chose the version available from Lamonster one of our site sponsers. It simply replaces the catalytic converter with a custom made exhaust pipe and is simply plug and play. Got mine delivered last night and installed it in about 45 minutes. It is easy to do and but for the retention springs could be accomplished in about 15 minutes. You can retain your factory muffler or replace it if you wish with any number of alternatives. The retention springs are a little fiddly to put back in place but with a little patience are really easy to reinstall. I don't know if this will solve the problem or not. I don't see this as a warranty issue at all and keep in mind that it is only a problem when the ambient temperature is high and you are traveling long distance at highway speeds. I was on a four day ride in 100 degree temperatures and traveled over 1500 miles in that period. In ordinary local or short distance rides it would have not been a problem.
    Considering how much dis-comfort you are experiencing I'm surprised you didn't Wrap the new pipe with automotive HEAT Tape .... it would have been very easy to do Before you put the pipe on .... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-01-2022 at 11:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

Trying to decide about whether I want to replace the cat converter with 'S' pipe (cat delete) because of the noticeable heat the cat produces. The replacement pipe will result in some loss of back pressure, do you also notice any loss of torque or acceleration on the vehicle with that conversion?

Spyder Garage

W
    Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    Trying to decide about whether I want to replace the cat converter with 'S' pipe (cat delete) because of the noticeable heat the cat produces. The replacement pipe will result in some loss of back pressure, do you also notice any loss of torque or acceleration on the vehicle with that conversion?
    I didn’t notice anything, but then again I’m not an overly aggressive rider.

Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    Put the baffle in the cat delete and you won't notice any difference in the low end torque. I/we ride in 100 degrees + on many summer rides. I have a 14RT with cat delete, stage 2 and I run Baker's air wings and sit on a Misty Mountian seat cover. No heat issues at all. If you want to talk heat, go take a spin on a Harley in the summertime. I've owned several, I know.