Spyder Garage

Default Gas cap locking difficulty - any ideas & help?

Hello all.
    I picked up my 2016 F3-T yesterday. Drove it 90 miles home. A bit nervous for sure. So different then my 2012 RT. Anyway, I was out today reading the manual and just going over stuff. I unlocked the gas cap just fine, but when I went to close it I couldn't get it to lock. I was pressing down hard on the cap, then finally with pressure got the key to click and lock. Any ideas? I was REALLY pressing down on the cap too.
    Thanks for any help and ideas.

Lori
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

This is a 'known issue' for F3's, & there are quite a few threads mentioning it with varying solutions & degrees of success - it's probably well worth doing some searching & reading up about it!

Once you get past all the various lubricant &/or filing suggestions, what seems to be one of the most successful & popular solutions is to replace the OE gas cap with a replacement from Lamonster Garage....

Good Luck!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    This is a 'known issue' for F3's, & there are quite a few threads mentioning it with varying solutions & degrees of success - it's probably well worth doing some searching & reading up about it!

Once you get past all the various lubricant &/or filing suggestions, what seems to be one of the most successful & popular solutions is to replace the OE gas cap with a replacement from Lamonster Garage....

Good Luck!
    Yes, the Lamonster option is what I went with, Peter. It works a treat. You just leave your key in the ignition, unscrew the cap, fill up, screw on cap, and away you go………and no, despite what some naysayers will claim, I have never had, or even heard of, anyone trying to syphon your small tank because your cap is unlocked.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

Hi Babyblue, a very light layer of silicone on the seal will fix it. Either grease applied with the fingertip or spray the tip of the finger. Silicone, not other lubricants.

Ride safe!
    Vince F in Niagara Falls
    2022 Spyder F3 Special Edition
    2020 Ryker Rally, sold
    2022 F3S , Stock Lamonster black diamond Monolith Black Satin

Spyder Garage

https://www.lamonstergarage.com/can-...bly-lamonster/

This is the fuel cap they are talking about,

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
    Hello all.
    I picked up my 2016 F3-T yesterday. Drove it 90 miles home. A bit nervous for sure. So different then my 2012 RT. Anyway, I was out today reading the manual and just going over stuff. I unlocked the gas cap just fine, but when I went to close it I couldn't get it to lock. I was pressing down hard on the cap, then finally with pressure got the key to click and lock. Any ideas? I was REALLY pressing down on the cap too.
    Thanks for any help and ideas.

Lori

Mine was like that when I picked my new to me F3. I lubed it and it works perfectly. Also did the Frunk and seat catch which needed a freeing up as well.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up F3 Gas Cap Closure

F3 gas cap closing
    Quote by Rattlebars:
    1. Like the starting procedure, the gas cap closing has a specific sequence. After fueling, flop the cap back down into the hole. Turn the key clockwise to 3 o'clock until the cap drops almost all the way down. Turn the key anti-clockwise as far as it will go to 1 o'clock . Press down on the edges until it clicks. Turn the key anti-clockwise the rest of the way to noon then pull it out. Ready to roll. Unquote. I use this method and find it works well after I filed the lock tabs on the cap.

Additional ideas:
    2. A bit of oil in the mechanism and Vaseline on the rubber also made a difference.

3. I took the locking lid apart and filed the sliding contact parts to reduce the locking tab thickness.

4. There was also a post that recommended making shim washers from the metal in a pop can. The washers are placed under the bolts that hold the gas cap lid in place.

Good Luck...
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Spyder Garage

I just spray the rubber with WD40 every couple of weeks
    Last edited by rjinaz86323; 06-26-2022 at 09:40 AM.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    Yes, the Lamonster option is what I went with, Peter. It works a treat. You just leave your key in the ignition, unscrew the cap, fill up, screw on cap, and away you go………and no, despite what some naysayers will claim, I have never had, or even heard of, anyone trying to syphon your small tank because your cap is unlocked.

Pete
    I second this. The Lamonster cap is much more attractive and I see no reason for a locking cap on my Spyder. It also makes it much easier to insert the gas hose.
    Thunder's just the noise. Lightning does the work.

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Cap Part 2

I want to say thank you everyone for your suggestions! I couldn't find any silicone spray, but I did find plenty of WD40. I put some in a little paper cup, used my finger and spread it around the seal a couple times. The cap literally dropped into place!! I was shocked. Thank you again everyone, you just made my day!
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
    I want to say thank you everyone for your suggestions! I couldn't find any silicone spray, but I did find plenty of WD40. I put some in a little paper cup, used my finger and spread it around the seal a couple times. The cap literally dropped into place!! I was shocked. Thank you again everyone, you just made my day!
    Good to hear, Babyblue……thanks for letting us know

Pere
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red