Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs down RAM Mounts - destroyed my iPhone! Any ideas on mounts that won't fail?

Bought a RAM Mount for my iPhone and I've experienced my phone flying out of the mount when riding at high speeds or in areas with high wind...

The first day I installed it and was riding from LA to SF my phone flew out and hit me but luckily both my headphone cable and the little underwear piece held onto each other and I was able to pull over and remount my phone.

Yesterday was another story unfortunately... I was merging on to an open lane in the freeway and hit the throttle for a good 8 seconds when I noticed my music wasn't playing anymore and my phone was missing from my RAM mount. I looked and looked and eventually went back home to use Find My iPhone to locate it on the freeway... went back to find it destroyed...

My review of RAM Mounts -> 1/5

It seems like they prioritized the ability to "stretch" the mount out to fit a wide variety of phones rather than making sure the phones are secure... which makes no sense since that's the entire reason for buying a mount to begin with.

Do you have a suggestion for a mount that fits an F3 and doesn't fail against the wind?

EDIT: RAM X MOUNT
    ram_mounts_x_grip_fork_stem_kit_750x750.jpg
    Last edited by Jibrilll; 06-24-2022 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Briefly stated question in the title. ;-)

Spyder Garage

Contact Motorcycle Dave and get a Tackform phone holder. Pretty easy in and out but when "in" I think I could almost lift my RTL with the phone.

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...Tackform-mount
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2022 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Added link ;-)
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

I use an SP Mount, with a remote charger, this keeps your phone safe.

sp-connect-bar-clamp-mount-pro.jpg

you need a special case and a dampener for an iphone, I drilled a hole in a bolt that holds the handlebars, and tapped a thread in it, been holding for over 4000 kms now, and still no movement at all
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2022 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Merged
    the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it........

Spyder F3s 2019 All Black ( Named it: Brutus)
    Carbon Items added, just for looks
    Upgraded Shocks Trac-Tive, Rear hi/lo and rebound adjustable, with Hydraulic Pre-Load adjuster
    fronts hi/lo and rebound adjustable, custom made by the Trac-Tive Guru's
    Swaybar (Ron's)
    Tyres Front Michelin Cross Climate+ 175/60-15
    Rear, for 2022 still a Kenda, next Yokohama Advan Fleva 205/55R15
    Exhaust Bone stock, with a RLS Cat- Delete
    Custom ECU-Mapping, rewritten/adapted to my Ridingstyle
    Pedalbox, Awesome Upgrade...
    2019 F3s , O.E.M. Black, Black, Black

Spyder Garage

Which RAM mount? I have both the Tackform and RAM Quick Grip XL. Neither will lose a phone under normal circumstances, but I'd likely trust the Quick Grip in severe conditions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by troop; 07-03-2022 at 08:25 AM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

RAM is a system to which any number of mounts will attach (including GPS, USB chargers, cameras, etc).

Which mount are you criticizing exactly? ?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

It's the X Mount - I've updated on my thread... this is one of two mounts (the other wasn't a ram mount) that the bike shop had in stock the day I bought my bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jibrilll View Post
    It's the X Mount - I've updated on my thread... this is one of two mounts (the other wasn't a ram mount) that the bike shop had in stock the day I bought my bike.
    Do you use the elastic web piece over the phone once it's in the grips?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear. With the rough roads we have here in a pocket(frunk if need charging) is really the better option. High speeds also not considered gonna hit pot hole -roadkill -something(drunks)

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I agree with Edmat. I have it mounted on both spyder and snowmobile. Let’s just say my snowmobile experience is I mountain riding pretty hard. I lost it once and the sled rolled 85 feet down the side of the mountain. Probably rolled 30 times. Not uncommon in pure powder and no damage. That’s what those sleds are made for. I have an iPod touch mounted to the tackform and it was still on there at the bottom. Done 70 mph plus on spyder and you really have to work at it to get the phone out of mount. Ram mount balls and arms are bulletproof. Your x mount, I wouldn’t trust with a cheap phone even with the spyder web. Sorry to hear about your incident but from my experiences go tackform. Get it from motorcycle Dave!
    Last edited by Wmoater; 06-24-2022 at 02:53 PM.

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”

Spyder Garage

I like the Tackform option as well. Hard to imagine my phone falling out of this thing. I have one on my RTL as well as my Indian Roadmaster and no issues after many miles.
    Cheers
    Kevin
    2020 RT Limited - Chalk Metallic Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use the RAM quick grip. The tackform does not work with my phone because it presses on the power button. If your power button is on the side of your phone, I highly recommend the quick grip or quick grip xl(if your phone is large)
    2021 Sea to Sky RT , Highland green

Spyder Garage

I have had many of the holders listed. Last year I destroy the camera in my IPhone 11 due to vibration of the handlebars. I highly recommend the QuadLock system with the anti-vibration dampener. I got the version with a ram ball and I mount it to a Ram Claw mount on the handlebar. Their are other combinations to choose from.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-28-2022 at 05:26 PM. Reason: care as in?? - camera ;-)

Spyder Garage

My review of “RAM Mounts” -> 5/5. The Quick Grip has not failed me once in 10 years.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

I've been using the Ram X grip with the elastic tether for 10 years, both
    on my RT-L and my previous BMW. Never had a concern for the phone
    falling out. Thousands of freeway miles and Michigans lousy roads.
    Gary
    2017 RTL Asphalt Gray Metalic
    1987 BMW K75s

Spyder Garage

Bought a RAM Mount for my iPhone and I've experienced my phone flying out of the mount when riding at high speeds or in areas with high wind...
    I experienced the exact same results with my Ram X mount. Lost the same phone twice. I was able to find it again, thankfully, but each time required a mail in to have the screen replaced at about a one fifty each. Ended up costing me more then I paid for the phone. I finally ditched the X mount and went with the QuadLock. Have had zero issues since.
    Greg Kamer
    "It's better to be not riding and wishing you were than be riding and wishing you weren't."

USAF, 20 years, retired
    Sheriff's Office, 23 years, retired

2018 Can Am Spyder RT-Limited

Spyder Garage

I had a similar issue that you did. I went with the Quad Lock system with the wireless charging. I have had the Quad Lock for 2 years and really like it. Take a look.

https://www.quadlockcase.com/
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member CloverHillCrawler's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I can testify for the tackform, have it mounted landscape on a centermount from Dave with USB-C charging run to it. I was run off of the road and hit the curb hard enough to be tossed over the handlebars and into the curb.

Phone was still in the tackform and I called for help on my Sena 50R.

2020 F3 SE6

Safety and Lighting: LED Headlight upgrade, IPS LED Fog lights, Show Chrome LED Fender Signals, LED Signature Light, Tric LED Afterburnerz, MotoHorn 2.0

Suspension: Wilbers Front and Rear Shocks, BajaRon Sway Bar, Vredestein Quatrac Front and Rear Tires

Comfort: Blue Ridge Windshield, Corbin Dual Touring Saddle, Ultimate Floorboards, OEM Passenger Backrest with Rear Shelf, OEM Passenger Floorboards Modified with High Risers from Pierre

Tackform Center Mount Phone Holder w/ rapid charging USB-C.
    2020 F3 , Black

Spyder Garage

LaMonster Phone Phang. Looks to be exactly the same as the Tackform. These holders are solid as a rock.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Time for a change for the better

Time for a change for the better

Hi Everyone here looking at this thread, it's time to make that change,
    Do you want to trust your $$$ Thousand dollar phone $$$ to a chunk of plastic
    clamped on your handlebars or center bolts... ?

You know that after a while that plastic mount will wear out, the corners of the locking device will round off, and then you can kiss your phone good-bye!

There is only one out there that will never do that and I have them in stock to fit any bike car or Spyder...

All Our mounts are made of billet aluminum, then machined and anodized, and/or powder coated. The clamp uses stainless steel springs and the clamp is coated with rubber.
    AND !!! it will NOT push your buttons.

TackForm Logo.jpeg TackForm Logo.jpeg TackForm Logo.jpeg

Center Bolt short arm mount .png . Enduro TFEN-BIKE.jpg

Call me today and get your TackForm mount and never worry about losing your phone again!
    209-887-3283

Motorcycle Dave's LOGO #1.jpg

Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-30-2022 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Removed spurious orphan cmds... & moved post title into text - many ONLY see Thread Titles! %-/

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I’ve never used anything else but the RAM X-grip and never lost a phone. The thing is I don’t mount to the bars, I mount to the dash. Too much vibration mounting anything to the bars. Damages the device and can vibrate loose.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

RAM makes the WORST mounts on the market, they spend every dime they make on marketing instead of R&D. You'll notice that 90% of people that have a RAM mount don't have their phone inside the mount because it has already flown off into the wind. Buy Quadlock and never deal with garbage mounts again.
    Blue 2019 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

I have two Tackforms on my F3S and the RAM Quick Grip on my little Benelli. I put neoprene strips on the Quick Grip to dampen it. Both work well.
    Last edited by troop; 07-31-2022 at 03:19 PM.

2022 RT Sea To Sky
    --------------------------------
    2022 RT Seat To Sky , Mystery Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo1122 View Post
    RAM makes the WORST mounts on the market, they spend every dime they make on marketing instead of R&D. You'll notice that 90% of people that have a RAM mount don't have their phone inside the mount because it has already flown off into the wind. Buy Quadlock and never deal with garbage mounts again.
    I’ve used RAM for years and no problems. They wouldn’t be in business if they made products that didn’t work.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I’ve used RAM for years and no problems. They wouldn’t be in business if they made products that didn’t work.
    Couldn’t agree more, Flamewinger. I have not had an issue with RAM for either connectors or clamps in 20 years.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Spyder Garage

The first day I installed it and was riding from LA to SF my phone flew out and hit me but luckily both my headphone cable and the little underwear piece held onto each other and I was able to pull over and remount my phone.

Yesterday was another story unfortunately... I was merging on to an open lane in the freeway and hit the throttle for a good 8 seconds when I noticed my music wasn't playing anymore and my phone was missing from my RAM mount. I looked and looked and eventually went back home to use Find My iPhone to locate it on the freeway... went back to find it destroyed...

My review of RAM Mounts -> 1/5

It seems like they prioritized the ability to "stretch" the mount out to fit a wide variety of phones rather than making sure the phones are secure... which makes no sense since that's the entire reason for buying a mount to begin with.

Do you have a suggestion for a mount that fits an F3 and doesn't fail against the wind?

EDIT: RAM X MOUNT
    ram_mounts_x_grip_fork_stem_kit_750x750.jpg
    Jibrill,

I just bought the same thing ( Ram- X mount) from Lamonster Garage. I have a Trac phone( LG phone).

I have my Ram X-Mount installed below the ignition switch, ( between the handlebars above the glove box).

Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 07-31-2022 at 07:22 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD