Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

I was thinking about this too since I consistenly get in the very high 30's and low 40s where my husband usually gets more like the mid-30's. I try to keep the RPMs right around 3000 and he tends to prefer 4000. So I shift a lot, trying to keep that 3000. The only time I can't keep it there is high speeds (highway trips), and that's when I get lower mileage.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikerchris1270 View Post
    What’s your average MPG using what octane fuel, RT or F3,F3L?
    When I checked twice on a recent trip, With trailer and two up riding, I averaged 33.5 mpg with Monster Fuel Injection Stage 1 ECU upgrade using premium.
    So, the consensus average is about 35mpg.+-
    Kool, my mini van gets 27mpg…….gives me more reasons to ride the spyder.
    these comments from across the country are the same every year.. I'm on my 4th Spyder (2019 RTL) and have tried the higher octanes and find absolutely no change in the MPG.. as someone in these blogs said, it's all about how you drive as opposed to what type gas you use. I burn 87 most all of the time and average around 35 MPG.
    safe riding to you all
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    these comments from across the country are the same every year.. I'm on my 4th Spyder (2019 RTL) and have tried the higher octanes and find absolutely no change in the MPG.. as someone in these blogs said, it's all about how you drive as opposed to what type gas you use. I burn 87 most all of the time and average around 35 MPG.
    safe riding to you all
    BIG F
    I would also add that a lot depends on "where" you ride. If you're in a place without mountains, you will/should get better mileage than those who live/ride in them.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Totally, I cringe reading this thread because even though I am a conservative rider, I get about 29 - 30 mpg. I get so jealous of these 40 mpg guys.
    Many unforeseen things out there can influence MPG's. For example; I'm a height challenged rider. I had 2" cut off my stock windshield and I ride with it just up of the bottom position. So overall I weigh less than some riders and I'm plowing less air than other riders. It all adds up in the overall scheme of things. And like you, I'm a conservative rider, 95% of the time. 2 up, 100% of the time. My 1330 seems to purr at 3k, as if it loves it. That's where get my best MPG's. Recently I acquired stage 2 and now it appears it prefers 3.5K. I'm still checking that out. Keep working at it ollicat, you'll get there. Oh, one other thing, pressing the corners eats up a lot of fuel also.
    Last edited by 2dogs; 06-29-2022 at 11:36 AM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I would also add that a lot depends on "where" you ride. If you're in a place without mountains, you will/should get better mileage than those who live/ride in them.
    Yes and no. Some of my best MPG was while crossing the Rocky Mountains on I-70. Some of my lowest MPG was in the South at sea level!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Yes and no. Some of my best MPG was while crossing the Rocky Mountains on I-70. Some of my lowest MPG was in the South at sea level!
    Thats because there were no mountains to coast down...

There again it really does depend on the rider.

I know that going from Ga to Pigeon Forge Tenn. I got what I thought was great mileage on my RT-L but on the return trip (going downhill mostly) was about 3mpg better.

Then a couple of weeks later I got better mileage going to Maryland than I did coming back from Maryland.

Either way I don't sweat it, I just enjoy it.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    Did you read about the long funnel trick? I'd thought about it before but haven't tried it yet.
    Yep I did, however since I don't have a pumping issue ..... why screw with something that works ...... Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ..... why screw with something that works ...... Mike
    Very sage advice and something that WE ALL SHOULD REMEMBER.......WHY SCREW WITH SOMETHING THAT WORKS?
    Thank you Mike.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep I did, however since I don't have a pumping issue ..... why screw with something that works ...... Mike
    My thought. It might make topping off an easier and safer process. We'll see. I'll let you know.

Spyder Garage

My thought. It might make topping off an easier and safer process. We'll see. I'll let you know.
    My thoughts on this is ..... with the Funnel in the tank you can't see anything Until it back splashes. ... and gas will come spurting out those little Vents in the Ring ..... JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'll soon find out. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Spyder Garage

I never check mine. I bought the Spyder, now I just ride it.

Spyder Garage

To be honest i've never checked it. My guess is about 35 mpg though on premium non=ethanol. I'd rather just ride and fill it up when it needs it...not a big deal for me. Ride more worry less...
    2021 RT Limited

2016 RTS , Pearl White

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have the 998 and get 56 - 60 mp2g
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Just got back from a jaunt to Durango over Wolf Creek pass and back - wife on her 16 F3T and my 15 RT both with 1330 SE6. Logged 980 mile (480 mi X 2) and fueled up three times for a total of 22.5 gals of 87 octane... cost 115 dollars. Average was a little over 43 MPG on the open road between 40 and 68 mph speed depending on terrain. RPM generally 3000 to 3600 rpm. IMG_3705[1].jpg
    07 Shadows, Aero, Spirit gone but not forgotten
    03 Harley Sportster, 07 RK moved on
    11 RT- 76,000 mi, 15 RT-S- 44,000 mi, traded for current 15 base RT and 16 F3T
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My thoughts on this is ..... with the Funnel in the tank you can't see anything Until it back splashes. ... and gas will come spurting out those little Vents in the Ring ..... JMHO .... Mike
    AH HA. The funnel trick works great. Used it today and I'm keeping the funnel in the RT now all the time. Allows you to safely and easily add that extra gallon of gas without spilling a drop. It also allows you to see exactly what you are doing. If you don't agree then by all means don't use the funnel. With that extra gallon, you should see that first little orange bar on your fuel gauge turn gray in and around 90/95 miles. If that happens you'll be in line for the 40/41 MPG if you continue to drive conservatively. Did a 2up 175 mile trip on the 4th and got 41 MPG. Went from 500 ft elevation up to 8,500 ft and back. The only drawback I can see when using the funnel is having to keep the smelly little thing wrapped up in a plastic shopping bag.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Just came from Gunnison CO. over Monarch pass, to Colorado Springs. The first fuel up was at 90 miles and took 2 gallons. I was shocked at the 45 MPG Proformance of the 2014 RTS fully loaded and 2up. 91 octane is my choice with the stage 1 flash.
    Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    Just came from Gunnison CO. over Monarch pass, to Colorado Springs. The first fuel up was at 90 miles and took 2 gallons. I was shocked at the 45 MPG Proformance of the 2014 RTS fully loaded and 2up. 91 octane is my choice with the stage 1 flash.
    Lew L
    Very good. Seems that we're in a minority Lew. Do you recall the speeds you were generally traveling?

Spyder Garage

The only drawback I can see when using the funnel is having to keep the smelly little thing wrapped up in a plastic shopping bag.
    This is the thing that would keep me from using this method. I wouldn't keep it in the frunk, trunk or anywhere else on my Spyder.

How do you see the level coming up in the funnel? Can you see it rising inside the fill tube?
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The smell wasn't overwhelming. Actually, by the time we were all buttoned up and ready to ride the odor was almost undetectable. If you own a funnel, test it yourself and see how long the odor lasts before it goes away. Only the nose knows. If you don't like it, don't do it. To each his own. As for the actual use, the fuel doesn't back up in the funnel. The funnel simply guides the fuel into the neck of the tank and allows the bubbles generated by the gas pump nozzle to more easily dissipate. Pump the fuel slowly and you'll see the level of fuel slowly rise to the neck of the tank. Then stop. You're full now. Basically, you're overriding the function of that rubber evaporation device on the end of the pump's nozzle. It's not rocket science. It's simply an easier and safer way to get that extra gallon into your gas tank. If the odor of gas offends you, once again, don't do it.

Spyder Garage

AH HA. The funnel trick works great. Used it today and I'm keeping the funnel in the RT now all the time. Allows you to safely and easily add that extra gallon of gas without spilling a drop. It also allows you to see exactly what you are doing. If you don't agree then by all means don't use the funnel. With that extra gallon, you should see that first little orange bar on your fuel gauge turn gray in and around 90/95 miles. If that happens you'll be in line for the 40/41 MPG if you continue to drive conservatively. Did a 2up 175 mile trip on the 4th and got 41 MPG. Went from 500 ft elevation up to 8,500 ft and back. The only drawback I can see when using the funnel is having to keep the smelly little thing wrapped up in a plastic shopping bag.
    .... however since I have NEVER spilled even one drop of gas .... Why would I carry and use a Funnel .....JMHO .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

.... however since I have NEVER spilled even one drop of gas .... Why would I carry and use a Funnel .....JMHO .... Mike
    You implied and I responded. Can't say I never spilled a drop, because I have. The funnel as I stated makes it easier and safer if you are so inclined to get that last gallon. Easy to see exactly what you're doing. But you're correct. If you've never spilled a drop then what's the need for a funnel.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

'17RTL always use 98 Octane
    250km around Town
    450 KM touring below 110km/hr
    300 KM touring above 110km/hr
    2017 RTL
    2017 RTL , White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by askitee View Post
    '17RTL always use 98 Octane
    250km around Town
    450 KM touring below 110km/hr
    300 KM touring above 110km/hr
    I don't think that they even have 98 octane around here. The most I ever see is 93

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I don't think that they even have 98 octane around here. The most I ever see is 93
    We don't have it ( except for racing ) He lives in Australia !!!! ..... Mike