Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Gas without ethanol will get better mileage but I do not think octane will affect mpg enough to notice. At least I do not see why it would.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Speed plays a big part in the mileage equation. I usually get mid to high 30's. Last week running around Colorado in the high altitude I was getting very high 30's and low 40's. I burn 87 octane if I can get it. In Colorado where we were staying they had 88 so I ran that.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2018 F3 Limited - Intense Red Pearl . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkBob View Post
    Wow! Looking at the gas mileage some of you are getting I may have to look at my driving habits. Riding 2 up most of the time I'm getting 32 to 33 mpg using 91 octane no ethanol. Maybe I'm having too much fun!
    2 up is where I always get my best MPG. Generally 39/41.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rjinaz86323 View Post
    Speed plays a big part in the mileage equation. I usually get mid to high 30's. Last week running around Colorado in the high altitude I was getting very high 30's and low 40's. I burn 87 octane if I can get it. In Colorado where we were staying they had 88 so I ran that.

OOPS ! I don't think the 88 is a good idea.. The 88 at the pump in our area is a different blend of ethanol to gas. I would not use the 88 in my spyder, please ask more spyder owners about this. JMHO....Bill
    Last edited by Knizar; 06-25-2022 at 09:15 PM. Reason: my poor spelling, sorry
    2020 RTL Chrome, Marsala Red "Non-Directional Tires, Centramatic Balancers"
    Front- Kumho KH-16 175/55r15 @17psi, Rear-General Altimax RT-45 215/60r15 @20psi
    BaJa Ron Ultra 3 pcs sway bar kit
    7jurock 25" tinted windscreen w/flip
    Frogman Dave's "Signal Button"
    If in Doubt, Don't Do It!
    " Pros: Excellent Bug Killer, Cons: Pizz Poor Pothole Dodger"

Spyder Garage

I use fuelly.com to track it (mostly -- I've only tracked 64K+ miles when I have 66K+ miles on my spyder) because it's an easy way to see those trends if you try other octane etc. I get the best mileage at 91 octane. My overall average for the miles that I've tracked is 39.9. Last tank was 42.4 and best tank was 48.4. I'm a spirited rider, one up and mostly 2-lane roads in the mountains rather than highway. when I had to commute to work on the highway avg drops to about 35. https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/ca...ondalyn/345290
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    I use fuelly.com to track it (mostly -- I've only tracked 64K+ miles when I have 66K+ miles on my spyder) because it's an easy way to see those trends if you try other octane etc. I get the best mileage at 91 octane. My overall average for the miles that I've tracked is 39.9. Last tank was 42.4 and best tank was 48.4. I'm a spirited rider, one up and mostly 2-lane roads in the mountains rather than highway. when I had to commute to work on the highway avg drops to about 35. https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/ca...ondalyn/345290
    You have the V-twin engine ..... I've owned two of those and NEVER got anywhere near those MPG's. I think your App is wrong ..... if not contact BRP and let them know, because you have the PERFECTLLY made V-twin engine ...... all the best .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    You have the V-twin engine ..... I've owned two of those and NEVER got anywhere near those MPG's. I think your App is wrong ..... if not contact BRP and let them know, because you have the PERFECTLLY made V-twin engine ...... all the best .... Mike
    I think vondalyn's 2015 F3-S SE6 is a 1330. Correct me if wrong. 48.4 MPG is possible if you are drafting a truck. Otherwise, I think a person would have to be going downhill with a tailwind using ECO mode. When I get questionably high MPG I triple check my math. And yep, I've screwed it up before.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post
    I think vondalyn's 2015 F3-S SE6 is a 1330. Correct me if wrong. 48.4 MPG is possible if you are drafting a truck. Otherwise, I think a person would have to be going downhill with a tailwind using ECO mode. When I get questionably high MPG I triple check my math. And yep, I've screwed it up before.
    Yep, you're correct on the 1330 .... I somehow missed that ..... But 48+ mpg's is high even for the 1330 engine - IMHO ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-26-2022 at 02:07 AM. Reason: you're ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Gotcha gotcha. I recorded an unreasonably high MPG on my 1330 once and triple checked my figures and still couldn't believe my figures. My only rationale for the high MPG were my traveling companions. I traveled a long long distance on a flat interstate among 18 wheelers that were sucking me along and breaking the wind resistance for me. Basically, I was drafting. The only other condition I can think of for legitimate MPG that high, would be a long and consistent tailwind. It's definitely possible.

Spyder Garage

The 88 fuel I have seen here in Iowa is E15. It is in very fine print on a sticker near the pumps. Not well labeled here.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

I just got back from a weekend trip down the Skyline drive in VA and back to PA. 545 total miles - I got 36.0 mpg. This was a mixture of 65 mph but mostly 35-55 mph. I use 93 octane. My normal around town mileage has always been low 30's so I was thought the 36.0 mpg was just about right for the roads and the speed I drove.
    2019 RTL Asphalt Gray
    2019 RT Limited , Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Yep, you're correct on the 1330 .... I somehow missed that ..... But 48+ mpg's is high even for the 1330 engine - IMHO ..... Mike
    yes, the 48.4 was an anomoly but it was still an accurate "tank" -- I filled up in Granby and then again in Walden. I think the distance between the them is 60-70 miles?

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

60/70 is not the best distance to use when calculating MPG. One reason is that you are working off the top of your tank which is very difficult to accurately judge, because of how/when the fuel nozzle automatically shuts off. If you rely on the automatic shut off your figures can easily be incorrect. My gas gauge won't even move in 60/70 miles after fill up. The how and why is a long story and has been discussed here time and time again. Use the advanced search feature to research the reasons. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Wow reading all these great posts about mileage in the mid 30s. i am getting 25mpg and i am concerned....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mosess01 View Post
    Wow reading all these great posts about mileage in the mid 30s. i am getting 25mpg and i am concerned....
    What are you riding?

Spyder Garage

An octane rating, or octane number, is a standard measure of a fuel's ability to withstand compression in an internal combustion engine without detonating. The higher the octane number, the more compression the fuel can withstand before detonating. Octane rating does not relate directly to the power output or the energy content of the fuel per unit mass or volume, but simply indicates gasoline's capability against compression.

Spyder Garage

60/70 is not the best distance to use when calculating MPG. One reason is that you are working off the top of your tank which is very difficult to accurately judge, because of how/when the fuel nozzle automatically shuts off. If you rely on the automatic shut off your figures can easily be incorrect. My gas gauge won't even move in 60/70 miles after fill up. The how and why is a long story and has been discussed here time and time again. Use the advanced search feature to research the reasons. Good luck.

That's why I gave my overall average for 64K+ miles for ALL my fillups. I wasn't trying to calculate the average on that tank -- just trying to explain why I had the anomolous 48.4 "high" tank.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-27-2022 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display

2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are so many variables involved there is no realistic way to compare MPG among different riders, other than to say "It depends!" I argue that you cannot make a reasonable judgment about MPG with less than about 5k to 10k miles of riding.

For my experience over two summers, one using premium and the other regular, see this 4+ year old thread. https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...hlight=premium.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

What are you riding?
    Earlier this month, Mosses posted this....

I have since sold my '15 RTS and now have a '21 RTL. Getting ready to do my first ......
    So if it's new, it's probably not run in yet.... With any luck, it'll start getting better as it gets closer to & eventually passes about 5,000 miles or so - altho some do report that not happening until 10,000 miles! . Ahh well, whichever - t's a good excuse to get on & do some ryding!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-27-2022 at 03:40 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

.... I have checked how much gas was just put in when the Auto shut-off occurs .... I then ADD another 1.5 or more gas , to actually fill the tank. .... so that's about 60 miles of driving in that 1.5 gals. .... good luck .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

.... I have checked how much gas was just put in when the Auto shut-off occurs .... I then ADD another 1.5 or more gas , to actually fill the tank. .... so that's about 60 miles of driving in that 1.5 gals. .... good luck .... Mike
    Many of the newer stations or the ones that have been retrofitted, pump fuel so fast it prevents "topping off". I top off to the neck ring and can touch the fuel with my finger which is an extra gallon. I find another 1/2 gallon generally spills over. Currently, I'm only tracking fuel, not miles. At the end of summer, I'll calculate miles and fuel for a long term average MPG.

Spyder Garage

Many of the newer stations or the ones that have been retrofitted, pump fuel so fast it prevents "topping off". I top off to the neck ring and can touch the fuel with my finger which is an extra gallon. I find another 1/2 gallon generally spills over. Currently, I'm only tracking fuel, not miles. At the end of summer, I'll calculate miles and fuel for a long term average MPG.
    Well I guess we in Vermont are lucky ... occasionally I encounter a tricky gas nozzle trigger, but it's infrequent .... I don't think I've ever lost more than a few drops, from overfill ..... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I guess we in Vermont are lucky ... occasionally I encounter a tricky gas nozzle trigger, but it's infrequent .... I don't think I've ever lost more than a few drops, from overfill ..... Mike
    Did you read about the long funnel trick? I'd thought about it before but haven't tried it yet.

Spyder Garage

Totally, I cringe reading this thread because even though I am a conservative rider, I get about 29 - 30 mpg. I get so jealous of these 40 mpg guys.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ollicat View Post
    Totally, I cringe reading this thread because even though I am a conservative rider, I get about 29 - 30 mpg. I get so jealous of these 40 mpg guys.
    I looked and you also have the 1330 engine like me .... I ddin't start to get 38-40 mpg's untill about 4000 mi. .... if you have that much mileage ..... unless there is something wrong with your engine, the only other thing I can think of is your driving in the lower gears. ..... around town I usually drive in 6 th @ 2100 rpm's ..... good luck .... Mike