Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    In the U.S. Fed. DOT regs identify Car tires and wheels / rims by the rim profile .... and they are listed as " J " ....same as the Spyders we ride ..... JMHO .... Mike
    So using that sort of logic we are alowed to run Kendas on our automobiles/cars.

Kenda has however eliminated that possibility by designating their tires as "motorcycle" tires hopefully preventing people from hurting themselves and others thru the use of an inappropriate tire.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    Well, not the best tires to use. BRP is in control over the Tires shipped on your Spyder. Once you get your Spyder you can do as you please about the Tires.

My local dealer will 'ONLY INSTALL BRP APPROVED TIRES '.
    So I am stuck with Kenda.

Have a Blessed Day. ......
    And thank you for mentioning that some of us use OEM tires because we "have" to. Many cannot get down on the ground to change out tires themselves. Many are not physically able to do the job. Many do not want an "unauthorized" mechanic even touching their Spyder. Fronts are not much of an issue, but many look at changing out the rear tire as a formidable task. My dealers would NOT put anything but Kenda on the Spyder. I got Federals from an independent, but last time, they only had Kenda.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-23-2022 at 08:10 AM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    I have edited my original statement from "demeaned" to "criticize." I felt "demeaned" was a bit on the strong side. My bad there.
    Semantics, I guess. Mike is right in assuming you were talking about the person when using "demeaning". Maybe 'denigrate' or 'disparage'?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    So using that sort of logic we are alowed to run Kendas on our automobiles/cars.

Kenda has however eliminated that possibility by designating their tires as "motorcycle" tires hopefully preventing people from hurting themselves and others thru the use of an inappropriate tire.
    Well using " LOGIC " can get you in trouble...... Kenda tires won't support the weight of even a " Smart Car " ..... and the Kenda tires that are sold for the Spyders arn't really " Motorcycle " tires .... and we know this because imprinted on the sidewall it's stated For " SPECIAL " Motorcycle use only, .... I have the feeling that you enjoy being Argumentative, so I'm ending conversing about this topic with you ...... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post

Actually, Eckard, they have not designated them as “motorcycle” tires, but as “Special Motorcycle Use Only”, so people won’t try to mount them on their motorcycles OR cars.

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited
    Setup for Tall & Big.... 200cm/6'7", 140kg/300lbs, 37"inleg.

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Ikon (Aussie) shocks all round.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Goodyear Duragrip 165/60 fronts (18psi) - provides extra 1/2” ground clearance.
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Tires Tires Tires

....I can remove the Spyder front tires and have them changed out.
    The Rear Tire is the problem. I do not have the strength to get.... ....the rear tire off and on.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I wouldn’t use a car tires as I don’t ride a 3-4000lb car but a 1400lb motorcycle. Major difference in tire rubber.
    The issue with that “1400lb compared to 3000-4000lb so don’t run car tires” theory is that Harley does indeed run those 3000lb-4000lb car tires on their trikes as stock, Flamewinger. Their trikes are a similar weight to ours, and the Harley rears come equiped with off the shelf car tires, running at 26psi (most riders run them lower than that, but apparently there is some kind of legal limitation that prevents Harley from specifying a lower psi). Harley riders swap tire brands constantly to meet their own personal requirements with zero issues, despite “running tires built for use with 3000-4000lb vehicles”. That theory is a furphy

Pete
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Brake rubber removed to lower pedal for easier long leg/Size 15 EEEEW boot access.
    Russell Daylong seat 2” taller than stock (in Sunbrella for Aussie heat & water resistance)
    Kenda Kanine rear.
    2021 RT Limited , Brake pedal rubber removed for ease of accessing pedal with size 15 boots. Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peteoz View Post
    The issue with that “1400lb compared to 3000-4000lb so don’t run car tires” theory is that Harley does indeed run those 3000lb-4000lb car tires on their trikes as stock, Flamewinger. Their trikes are a similar weight to ours, and the Harley rears come equiped with off the shelf car tires, running at 26psi (most riders run them lower than that, but apparently there is some kind of legal limitation that prevents Harley from specifying a lower psi). Harley riders swap tire brands constantly to meet their own personal requirements with zero issues, despite “running tires built for use with 3000-4000lb vehicles”. That theory is a furphy

Pete
    Thank you for reminding everyone here about this Fact ...... I have been posting this bit of info for over 5 years ......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-23-2022 at 08:54 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ....I can remove the Spyder front tires and have them changed out.
    The Rear Tire is the problem. I do not have the strength to get.... ....the rear tire off and on.
    I'll be at that point myself soon. Not sure what I'm going to do then, as my dealer stopped selling and servicing Spyders.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-23-2022 at 07:53 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pete
    I use the 3-4000 lb because that’s what the General Altimax is designed for. We don’t ride anything that heavy. Take 2/3 weight off and you loose traction. Not something I want to experience.

E3DDE4D7-7F6E-425A-8016-0942C1C4F8EA.jpg
    Last edited by Flamewinger; 06-23-2022 at 09:24 PM.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    I use the 3-4000 lb because that’s what the General Altimax is designed for. We don’t ride anything that heavy. Take 2/3 weight off and you loose traction. Not something I want to experience.

E3DDE4D7-7F6E-425A-8016-0942C1C4F8EA.jpg
    So you are saying that Harley trikes, that come equipped with stock car tires, lose traction, Flamewinger? That just doesn’t sound right
    Harrington, Australia

2021 RT Limited

HeliBars Handlebars
    Kenda Kanine rear.

Spyder Garage

So you are saying that Harley trikes, that come equipped with stock car tires, lose traction, Flamewinger? That just doesn’t sound right
    And it's not right Pete . ALL car tires are designed to work well (at the appropriate pressure) for loads UP TO their indicated Maximum Load limits (that's why they're called a MAXIMUM load limit & not a 'load range' or the 'only load permitted'!! ) you just need to use a lower psi as applicable to suit the lower loads in order to maintain their traction levels! But it's not really worth arguing about it any further - there's none so blind as those who will not see!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Tires and oil, tires and oil!!!! Let's see some nice pictures of some places you guy's have been on these great car tires!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Best I can do - if you're close to S.C., I'll help pull the wheels and help get them to whatever shop you choose.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange