Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone have info on kenda kanines?

does anyone have info about the kenda kanine tires?
    Thanks
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anything in particular you want to know?

Spyder Garage

Yeah I don't like them. That's an opinion not information .Ooops. Get car tires all around.
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

The fact that it is a KENDA is all the information I needed to avoid the brand. I went with Vredestein Quattro because they stick the best in all temps & wet.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Enter 'Kanine' in the search box up in the top right of this screen; tick the drop down box that says 'Search Titles Only'; then click on the little magnifying glass!
    Choose whatever you want to read out of the numerous threads that the search request above will return until you're satisfied that you know all you want to know about them!

Here's one I prepared earlier, it may or may not work for you:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...archid=3181343

Enjoy!

Ps: the Kenda Kanine is basically an OE Spec Kenda clone constructed with a longer wearing tread compound - personally, I wouldn't use them to keep the important bits of MY Spyder off the road, let alone in any situation where MY safety or that of any of my loved ones relied upon them... . But then again, some have found they've performed reasonably well for them/their ryding...
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They are hard to get as they are better then the OEM Kenda. I wouldn’t use a car tires as I don’t ride a 3-4000lb car but a 1400lb motorcycle. Major difference in tire rubber.

https://powersports.kendatire.com/en...street/kanine/
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
    They are hard to get as they are better then the OEM Kenda. I wouldn’t use a car tires as I don’t ride a 3-4000lb car but a 1400lb motorcycle. Major difference in tire rubber.

https://powersports.kendatire.com/en...street/kanine/
    Sorry Flamewinger, but if you're running a Kenda of any sort that fits the OE Rims on your Spyder, then you ARE using a car tire - just a lightly constructed one that comes out of a factory that has pretty shoddy quality control and not a great reputation!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-22-2022 at 10:16 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RayBJ View Post
    The fact that it is a KENDA is all the information I needed to avoid the brand. I went with Vredestein Quattro because they stick the best in all temps & wet.
    .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Be nice guys and gals.

I am running K-9's on my 2019. Had them for over a year now. I see no issues or problems. Not a long enough test for longevity yet.

I also do not have a problem with Kenda OEM's. 20K for fronts and 15K for rear tires, average. Been through a lot of sets in almost 200K miles on 7 assorted Spyders.

Asbestos suit: ON

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Be nice guys and gals.

I am running K-9's on my 2019. Had them for over a year now. I see no issues or problems. Not a long enough test for longevity yet.

I also do not have a problem with Kenda OEM's. 20K for fronts and 15K for rear tires, average. Been through a lot of sets in almost 200K miles on 7 assorted Spyders.

Asbestos suit: ON
    Considering the Hundred's and hundred's of comments / wear reports from other members here .... wouldn't you admit Your experience with the Kenda products are Quite unusual ( to say the least ) ?????? .... Personally I have been critical of the Kenda's ... but have always said " with Good alignment " front tire is decent as far as Wear is concerned ..... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-22-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Spyder Garage

I recently removed some OEM Kendas. Big move for me as I am pretty thrifty with some things. They had 6 mil of tread but I am about to get a wheel alignment on my new to me Spyder so wanted new tyres. I had a look at the sidewalls of the Kenda. Plenty of meat but down the bottom where the tread begins there seemed to be a "dimple" on the inside and it thinned out quite a bit. Wow. Not much meat there at all. Apart from that I ended up having to run higher pressures (+25 % or so worked for me) ) than the 15 of so which is on the card on my F3 to stop the sledging feeling. But as I have said it may be an alignment issue.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Considering the Hundred's and hundred's of comments / wear reports from other members here .... wouldn't you admit Your experience with the Kenda products are Quite unusual ( to say the least ) ?????? .... Personally I have been critical of the Kenda's ... but have always said " with Good alignment " front tire is decent as far as Wear is concerned ..... Mike
    If it was a "one time" experience with them I would say "fluke." Since the only "outlier" in the bunch was the OEM's that came with the 2014 RT's (a new rubber compound). That rear tire gave me only 8,900 miles before it went bald in the center. I drive very conservatively, keep my speeds at the low end of the speed limit range, no burn outs, etc. One other thing, I keep my rear tires inflated at 26 #. This allows for some expansion and less "balooning" of the tires.

I did try auto tires (Federal) one time when I first moved to AR in 2019. Only kept that bike (2014) for one more year and traded. No chance for a longevity check. Now, neither of my mechanics offer real auto tires so I was stuck the last go around with OEM or K9. And yes, I know that "J" rims are considered auto tires.

I like being the "odd man out" sometimes. But, my information on the OEM Kenda's and K9's are my actual experience. Seven Spyders/ almost 200K miles.

I post my experience for general information to the site. There seems to be a group of you that put us "crapenda" users in a "special" category. That suits me, and works for me, but I don't like seeing the Kenda users criticized, intentionally or not.

My position here is as a general site member with a personal opinion. No mod stuff from me is going to be involved with this post or thread.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-22-2022 at 09:30 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

For the record, I don't knock anyone else's choice of tires (or whatever). My comment above was based on personal experience. It became clear that the Kendas have poor traction when cornering at speed in less than 1,000 miles. They broke loose far too easily for MY RIDING STYLE. I tried a Altimax RT43 in the rear and that was better than Kenda but the Vredesteins all around are the winner if you push the envelope. I now have 30k on my RT and the Quatros are holding up very well with even wear. I literally threw the almost new Kendas in the dumpster.
    Last edited by RayBJ; 06-22-2022 at 02:56 PM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

Just an FYI, QUATRAC 5's are not offered in Spyder sizes anymore. The new go to tire is the QUATRAC

T.P.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Enter 'Kanine' in the search box up in the top right of this screen; tick the drop down box that says 'Search Titles Only'; then click on the little magnifying glass!
    Choose whatever you want to read out of the numerous threads that the search request above will return until you're satisfied that you know all you want to know about them!

Here's one I prepared earlier, it may or may not work for you:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...archid=3181343

Enjoy!

Ps: the Kenda Kanine is basically an OE Spec Kenda clone constructed with a longer wearing tread compound - personally, I wouldn't use them to keep the important bits of MY Spyder off the road, let alone in any situation where MY safety or that of any of my loved ones relied upon them... . But then again, some have found they've performed reasonably well for them/their ryding...
    Thanks just the info I was looking for.
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DriftersWay View Post
    does anyone have info about the kenda kanine tires?
    Thanks
    See below for ans. too your question. Most places are out of stock right now. This info is from Kendra ad. This tire is sold by some of our sponsors.

The Kanine KR20 is the first and only aftermarket replacement tire designed specifically for the Can-Am Spyder.

The high-performance pattern of the Kenda Kanine reduces the rolling resistance while maintaining maximum lateral traction, and is engineered with increased siping to evacuate standing water for excellent wet weather performance.

The result is a Can-Am Spyder tire that provides higher mileage than stock while offering better handling than passenger car replacements.

The Kanine KR20 is mc-spec, DOT, and E-Mark approved.

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Engineered with increased siping to evacuate standing water from excellent wet weather performance
    High-performance tread pattern reduces rolling resistance, while keeping maximum lateral traction
    MC-Spec, D.O.T. and E-Mark approved
    SIZE: Rear
    225/50 - 15, Radial, Rear, 76H

FITMENT: Rear
    F3/F3-S/F3-T/F3-LTD 2015 - 2020
    RT/RT-S/RT-LTD 2010 - 2020
    ST 2013 - 2016
    RS/GS 2008 - 2016

SIZE: Front
    165/55 - 15 Radial, Front, 55H

FITMENT: Front
    F3/F3-S/F3-T/F3-LTD 2015+
    RT/RT-S/RT-LTD 2013+
    ST 2013 - 2016
    RS/GS 2013 - 2016
    Last edited by CopperSpyder; 06-22-2022 at 05:40 PM.
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

If it was a "one time" experience with them I would say "fluke." Since the only "outlier" in the bunch was the OEM's that came with the 2014 RT's (a new rubber compound). That rear tire gave me only 8,900 miles before it went bald in the center. I drive very conservatively, keep my speeds at the low end of the speed limit range, no burn outs, etc. One other thing, I keep my rear tires inflated at 26 #. This allows for some expansion and less "balooning" of the tires.

I did try auto tires (Federal) one time when I first moved to AR in 2019. Only kept that bike (2014) for one more year and traded. No chance for a longevity check. Now, neither of my mechanics offer real auto tires so I was stuck the last go around with OEM or K9. And yes, I know that "J" rims are considered auto tires.

I like being the "odd man out" sometimes. But, my information on the OEM Kenda's and K9's are my actual experience. Seven Spyders/ almost 200K miles.

I post my experience for general information to the site. There seems to be a group of you that put us "crapenda" users in a "special" category. That suits me, and works for me, but I don't like seeing the Kenda users demeaned, intentionally or not.

My position here is as a general site member with a personal opinion. No mod stuff from me is going to be involved with this post or thread.
    WOW ..... I didn't mean to OFFEND you ...., I have NEVER Demeaned anyone for using Kenda's, and I wasn't demeaning you ......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There seems to be a group of you that put us "crapenda" users in a "special" category. That suits me, and works for me, but I don't like seeing the Kenda users demeaned, intentionally or not.
    I prefer the unembellished facts or at least opinions about one brand vs another without the disparaging comments about Kendas. I didn't really have an issue with the way the Kendas performed but changing that rear tire every oil change is a bit much!
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-23-2022 at 10:35 AM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Sorry Flamewinger, but if you're running a Kenda of any sort that fits the OE Rims on your Spyder, then you ARE using a car tire - just a lightly constructed one that comes out of a factory that has pretty shoddy quality control and not a great reputation!

Rim profiles do not a car tire make. There is a heck of a lot more to it. Just because car tires fit doesn't mean it is the best and safest option. It just may be the longest wearing.
    Eckhard

Spyder RT Ltd, 2011
    2011 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Rim profiles do not a car tire make. There is a heck of a lot more to it. Just because car tires fit doesn't mean it is the best and safest option. It just may be the longest wearing.
    In the U.S. Fed. DOT regs identify Car tires and wheels / rims by the rim profile .... and they are listed as " J " ....same as the Spyders we ride ..... JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    WOW ..... I didn't mean to OFFEND you ...., I have NEVER Demeaned anyone for using Kenda's, and I wasn't demeaning you ......Mike
    BK: I was NOT offended. I have also "softened" the word "demeaned" to "criticize." After a bit of thought, I felt the use of demeaned was a bit strong.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 06-22-2022 at 09:37 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I prefer the unembellished facts or at least opinions about one brand vs another without the demeaning comments about Kendas. I didn't really have an issue with the way the Kendas performed but changing that rear tire every oil change is a bit much!
    I have edited my original statement from "demeaned" to "criticize." I felt "demeaned" was a bit on the strong side. My bad there.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eckhard View Post
    Aaand it wasn't JUST the rim profiles that I based my statement upon Eckhard!

Ps: BTW, I'm not having a go at anyone who chooses to run the OE Spec Kendas or any of their clones under their Spyders - I understand that they will work fine for some ryders, & I respect your right to make the choice to stick with them if they work for you & that's what you want to do. However, I am convinced that the OE spec Kendas remain the biggest limiting factor on the ride & handling, performance et al of those Spyders ryders who want more/better of all that sort of stuff from their tires, and as a happy side product to providing that greater performance all round, running 'normal' auto tires (at an appropriate lower pressure for the lighter load - as is the normal practice for any auto tire ) will most likely return much better tire life/milage too! Altho I am aware (thru actually running them to failure on a test track ) that there are at least a couple of Road/Track High Performance auto tires available in sizes that will fit our Spyder's car rims which, if ridden closer to the Spyder's ultimate limits on these better tires, probably won't even last as long as the Kendas at their worst! But Boy!! Do they stick like the proverbial to a blanket while they DO last!! . It's just a shame that it's simply not viable to run road/track tires like those anywhere but on a track here in Oz, where many Towns & even gas stations are often further apart than those tires will last
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-23-2022 at 02:21 AM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Kenda kanine tires

Well, not the best tires to use. BRP is in control over the Tires shipped on your Spyder. Once you get your Spyder you can do as you please about the Tires.

My local dealer will 'ONLY INSTALL BRP APPROVED TIRES '.
    So I am stuck with Kenda.

Have a Blessed Day. ......
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

As someone apparently crazy enough to run car tires on a two wheeler (darksiders), car tires on a trike seemed like a no brainer.

If you want car tires and your dealer won't do it, pull the wheels yourself an take it to a "regular" tire shop - that's the way I do it.

When your neck is on the line, run what makes you comfortable.
    2014 RT-S Orange - LED headlights/driving lights, LED under mirror turns, LED brake/run lights along trunk and saddlebags, LED third brake light, LED turn bulb replacements, Magic Mirrors, Voltmeter, Oil PSI gauge, heated gear connection, BRP backrest, dash Mount USB plug, Lamonster belt tensioner, Baja Ron sway bar, NBV highway pegs, BRP arm rests M2 suspension.
    2014 RT-S , Orange