Spyder Garage

Default 2022 Base RT wind swirling behind windscreen - any fixes or advice?

I got my 2022 base RT a couple of weeks ago and just passed 300 miles on it. At high-way speeds (above 65 MPH) the wind goes into a swirling pattern and I actually feel wind pushing/buffeting my back. The first time I jumped on the freeway I was surprised because I've never experienced anything like it in my 20 years of riding (but I've also never had a windscreen this big). I assume the wind screen is creating a pretty large bubble, creating a vacuum effect so the wind is swirling to fill the void. Is there a way to reduce this? I tried putting the wind screen all the way up and it didn't seem to change it--next time I'll try putting it all the way down. Do any of the wind deflectors Can Am sells help reduce this effect? Does the top case on the RTL interrupt the swirling?

Thanks for any tips or advice.
    '22 Spyder RT in Hyper Silver
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Look up a company by the name of Saeng - they sell a micro edging that I have on my windshield. Their number is 402,563.3444. If they are still around, please pass this on, I am sure you're not the only one feeling this issue.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2022 at 08:37 AM. Reason: - caps + their, you're ....

Spyder Garage

On my 2020 RTL I do not notice this at all so I would guess that the top case has an effect on it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I watched a video on the science of buffeting on a motorcycle. If a windscreen is too high, the air-pocket vacuum can be moved behind the driver and cause the "being pushed forward" sensation I'm feeling, so I'm going to try lowering the windscreen (raising it while going down the road was the wrong thing to do). It also gave some tips on how to tell if the air deflectors are adding to the buffeting right behind me, and Can Am sells adjustable side wind deflectors if that's the case.

But since we all have different sizes and shapes of bodies, different helmets, different sitting positions, etc--there is no "all you need to do is this" type answer. It seems like it's going to be trial and error, but at least now I know the tips to better determine what's causing it and how to help reduce it.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Use the search function on this forum. There are many threads on this topic, because it is very common.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I went for a ride on the freeway at lunch and resolved it. I played with moving the windscreen in different locations and found a sweet spot where noise was lowest, helmet was in the air-stream (but not the turbulent air), and no wind buffeting on my back.
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    On my 2020 RTL I do not notice this at all so I would guess that the top case has an effect on it.
    I completely agree on my 2022 RTL. Smoothest air flow I have ever had on a motorcycle.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I found the sweet spot on my '20 RT doesn't noticeably change as speed changes. Pretty much set and forget. Only time I lower it is for slow riding in heat.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White