Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New hobby .... RC Crawler Trucks

A couple of years ago I bought a Very large Monster truck ( 1/8th scale = 28 in long ) that was radio controlled .... for my grandson .... It didn't work out He was too young, He does have fine motor skills .... However He REFUSED to use them .... The truck was either stopped or going full speed so He could launch it and roll the darn thing .... the MORE rolls the better .... I knew the thing wouldn't last very long and it wasn't a cheapo, just NOT indestructible. So I kept it for when He got a bit older ./.... Well I re-discovered it while rummaging for something else , and decided to try it out again ..... I have been watching some RC Truck things on u-tube, and it intrigued me.... Found the battery charger and left it on over-nite ..... well I took it out for a spin , in the drive-way - pretty cool , then the lawn - still cool .... then to the WOODS , the freaking thing is UN-STOPABLE No it won't knock over a tree, but it darn well tries to climb it.... It will go thru some pretty heavy brush and a two ft Dia. log .... I guess the fact that the tires on this thing are a hair under 8 in. IN DIAMETER & it's Four wheel drive ....... After this event I started searching for more info on-line ..... Now I'm hooked, I plan to get another one, maybe 1/10th scale and about $ 250.00 ... I really like the Truck to go very slow, and from what I've read that means $$$$ .... But Hell I'm worth it - right ..... So if there are any other RC fanatics here please PM me and share your knowledge ,,,,, Thanks much .... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 06-20-2022 at 07:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Mike, I can tell you from experience racing RC cars and flying RC airplanes you are opening a jar that you can't feed enuff money into.

If you thought farkling Spyders was expensive, $250 barely gets you into the lower end of decent toy range.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pics ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Saluda View Post
    Pics ?
    61CiTbv-PAS._AC_SX679_.jpg
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When my brother and nephews were flying RC planes they would occasionally crash into the hay field. I thought it would be neat to have an RC crane to send out to retrieve them!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    Well mine looks something like the Pic ..... Mike

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Hobby RC

...I enjoy watching friends work with RC Airplanes and RC Boats. They have said that this is a very challenging and expensive 'Sport/Hobby'.

Good Fortune in your 'great adventure'.
    Have fun and be Safe. .....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ...I enjoy watching friends work with RC Airplanes and RC Boats. They have said that this is a very challenging and expensive 'Sport/Hobby'.

Good Fortune in your 'great adventure'.
    Have fun and be Safe. .....
    So far for enjoying it ...... and have no intention of moving on to planes...........................yet Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    So far for enjoying it ...... and have no intention of moving on to planes...........................yet Mike
    I did try the planes, but my depth perception is such that I was dangerous to the trees, so I gave up on that. I tried the cars 30 or so years ago and kept on hitting the curb on the street. No problems on the Spyder thankfully .

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    I did try the planes, but my depth perception is such that I was dangerous to the trees, so I gave up on that. I tried the cars 30 or so years ago and kept on hitting the curb on the street. No problems on the Spyder thankfully .
    Well that's the Most important thing ..... Well I've done a LOT of research on the RC 1/10th scale trucks .... ( a ton of vids on U-tube, which are entertaining to watch on rainy days ) .... and it's amazing at how realistic they are made to look and perform. .... ANNNNNNNNNNNNNND I get much desired exercise walking thru the woods or rocky area's following it ...... that you Can spend a lot of money or like me not so much .... they have quite a choice of various models that are well made and perform the way the more expensive stuff does ..... google them and take a peek ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Default You are treading onto a very slippery slope with your wallet...

I have been in the RC hobby for years. Planes, helicopters, bashers, crawlers... Gas, glow, electric...

You really need to consider doubling your budget...

Couple of recommendations to consider: Traxxas TRX-4 Sport, Axial SCX10 II or III, Redcat Gen 8, Enduro Element...

This little truck that I have now, I am over $1700 into this custom build and still not finished... This is a RC4WD Trail Finder II
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bhbuster; 06-23-2022 at 04:55 AM.

Spyder Garage

Here are a few pics... Sold most of them when I decided to by two Spyder for the wife and I...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bhbuster View Post
    I have been in the RC hobby for years. Planes, helicopters, bashers, crawlers... Gas, glow, electric...

Couple of recommendations to consider: Traxxas TRX-4 Sport, Axial SCX10 II or III, Redcat Gen 8, Enduro Element...

This little truck that I have now, I am over $1700 into this custom build and still not finished... This is a RC4WD Trail Finder II
    WOW $ 1700.00 .... I envy you ( I think ) ..... I have researched the ones you mentioned, the TRAXXAS also can be bought with ... individual crawler assemblies ( I forget what name they have ). This gives the truck incredible Traction ..... Enjoy I know I am .....Thanks for sharing ..... Mike .....PS what scale and make is the Trail Finder II ?????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here are a few pics... Sold most of them when I decided to buy two Spyder for the wife and I...
    I'm tempted. Looks like something I would enjoy. But I'd have to give up fly fishing and sell all my gear first...

My one and only excursion into this hobby was in the early 60s when I got a gas-engine powered piper cub for xmas. Of course, I then needed a battery for the glow plug, etc but couldn't afford the right accessories. I played around with that thing for weeks in the Spring and couldn't get the engine to run. One day out of boredom I tried starting it again and lo and behold it ran! For about 5 seconds. Then it crashed into my bedroom wall.

That's when I decided to join the Navy rather than the Air Force.

The new battery and RC technology looks promising vs gas and fly wire (in a circle).
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-23-2022 at 07:53 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I'm tempted. Looks like something I would enjoy. But I'd have to give up fly fishing and sell all my gear first...

My one and only excursion into this hobby was in the early 60s when I got a gas-engine powered piper cub for xmas. Of course, I then needed a battery for the glow plug, etc but couldn't afford the right accessories. I played around with that thing for weeks in the Spring and couldn't get the engine to run. One day out of boredom I tried starting it again and lo and behold it ran! For about 5 seconds. Then it crashed into my bedroom wall.

That's when I decided to join the Navy rather than the Air Force.

The new battery and RC technology looks promising vs gas and fly wire (in a circle).
    ..... Yes RC technology has changed exponentially .. in a good way .... Forget GAS ..... battery is the way to go especially with NiCad & Lipo batteries ..... and there is some pretty good stuff ( cars / trucks ) that come complete with everything you need in one package ..... look at stuff from $ 50 to $100 ..... google RC cars / trucks ..... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2022 at 03:38 AM. Reason: trucks ;-)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

# 1.- that a GAS engine & I'm into elec. batteries .... #2.- I would rather have my RC go Extremely SLOW .... that to me is realism..... To each His own .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    # 1.- that a GAS engine & I'm into elec. batteries ....
    #2.- I would rather have my RC go Extremely SLOW .... that to me is realism.....
    To each His own .... Mike
    Yeah, that's true. You'd probably have a hard time keeping up!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I used to have the full sized version of that truck.

Spyder Garage

Default My new hobbie - rc monster trucks

This is a continuation from earlier ...... I am having a Ball with this thing ..... The one I have is 1/5 scale and is/was 28 inches long with 7 in. tires ..... Because the wheelbase was so large I had trouble getting over logs etc. because it would bottom out.... Sooooooooooo I redesigned the suspension system and narrowed the wheelbase by 5 inches .... huge difference .... plus the plastic body now looks closer to a real Monster truck--- well it will because I cut it into Quarters ( 4 pieces ) I plan to add 1 1/2 in. in Length and 1 plus inches in Width using very thin clear plastic ...... Later ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-01-2022 at 03:03 PM. Reason: .