Spyder Garage

Default What's the Extra splined shaft under my Spyder?

So I was under my 2018 RTL looking at the sprocket/pulley. It looks clean. But under the sprocket there was a splined shaft with nothing on it. I am assuming that shaft is for the manual shifter Spyders. Questions: Does it turn? What happens if I turn it? Is it for the manual shifters?

Thank you.
    Happy trails!
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Reverse shift shaft…..
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

For manual shift

Spyder Garage

Yep, you assumed right daz - it is for the manual shift lever - your SE Gearbox is NOT an 'Automatic' as such, it's actually a Manual Gearbox (just like the SM's) converted into an Semi-automatic with the addition of a sexy Electronically controlled hydraulic clutch & solenoid operated shifting triggered by the little flappy paddles under your left thumb & forefinger, with the result being gear changes that're a fair bit faster, direct, & more positive than the best you could ever do with a manual clutch & your foot!

So that lever is there because your gearbox is still a manual, & it'd be harder to take it out than it is to simply add in all the sexy electronic shift & clutch gear that make the SM into an SE! And in answer to your questions -

• YES, it turns;
    • it changes gears if you turn it;
    • it is for the manual shifting versions of this gearbox and it works & would function just like the foot lever on one of the SM's if you fitted a foot lever to it, but you'd also hafta somehow work out a way to integrate it & co-ordinate it & your foot with the electronics that operate that sexy clutch!

Some have even used that lever to select Neutral or another gear when they've had some other failure or difficulty/dead battery - it can be a handy thing to remember if your battery dies when you've left your Spyder parked & in gear, but don't have access to a good battery &/or a jump start!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Thank you Peter for the complete answer. Just what I wanted to know. Please have a wonderful day!
    Ride safe!

2018 Spyder RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Mechanic at the SOAR rally told us that if the battery is dead and you are in gear, you can manually shift the transmission by moving this shaft to allow you to get the bike into neutral so you can roll it around freely
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoguzziman View Post
    Mechanic at the SOAR rally told us that if the battery is dead and you are in gear, you can manually shift the transmission by moving this shaft to allow you to get the bike into neutral so you can roll it around freely
    Semi autos left in gear when shut off will roll if the parking brake is not on. They have a centrifugal clutch which starts to grab when you give it gas. Since it’s off you’re not giving it gas and it will roll. Turn the key on, release the PB and push it, no need to start it.
    2021 F3 Ltd , Magna Red