Spyder Garage

Default Trailer Sway (Is it A Problem?)

While driving our car west towards Boise, ID, I-84, we were passed by a two-up Goldwing motorcycle towing a small enclosed cargo trailer. We were driving at about 75mph. The cargo trailer was swaying from side to side. Not a great amount of sway but made me think it did not look right. Tires/wheels looked like small bicycle wheels with spokes. It was a windy day and that could have added to this swaying action. Questions - Is this something the motorcycle driver/passenger will feel? Is this a normal condition when towing a trailer with a motorcycle/Spyder? Does the road surface (maybe not smooth) cause the trailer sway or was it mainly the windy day? We have a 2016 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE6 and may consider a trailer at some point.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-20-2022 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Removed Prefix - not engine/size related

Spyder Garage

I can't answer as to why the trailer that you saw on the Goldwing was swaying but,

I can say that my RT-622 while being towed by my 2020 RTL does not sway. It tracks as true as the Spyder does. The wind does not seem to affect it. I do have the BaJa Ron sway bar on my Spyder.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Interesting ..... I have an extremely lightweight trailer ( like 110 lbs empty ) .... and it doesn't sway at all ..... After loading it with 100lbs. it still doesn't sway ..... However I do arrange the weight so that the majority is near the tongue ( ie. front ) .... so this is the best way to keep down the Sway ..... JMHO ... Mike

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

E
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting ..... I have an extremely lightweight trailer ( like 110 lbs empty ) .... and it doesn't sway at all ..... After loading it with 100lbs. it still doesn't sway ..... However I do arrange the weight so that the majority is near the tongue ( ie. front ) .... so this is the best way to keep down the Sway ..... JMHO ... Mike
    You’re right on the money when you refer to the packing. You must have more weight on the tongue, or you will probably experience the sway. The length of the tongue also plays into the equation, as does the height of the hitch on the bike versus the height of the hitch on the trailer....they must be close to equal. just my $0.02 worth.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    I can't answer as to why the trailer that you saw on the Goldwing was swaying but,

I can say that my RT-622 while being towed by my 2020 RTL does not sway. It tracks as true as the Spyder does. The wind does not seem to affect it. I do have the BaJa Ron sway bar on my Spyder.

This was my experience also. No sway at all. The most important thing when pulling a proper MC cargo trailer is to have it loaded correctly so that the tongue weight is what it should be. I bought a fish weight scale and used that to make sure my load was properly balanced.

There are so many things that could contribute to that trailer swaying to pin down exactly why. Rest assured, if you do decide to pull a trailer, it is not normal for it to have any detectable sway. More likely, you will be checking your mirrors to make sure it is still there because you don't notice anything..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

A lightly loaded trailer may sometimes appear to sway but it could just be reacting to small irregularities in the road, especially if its just an inch or two. Any more than that, you have problems. You can't feel it and many times won't notice it in the mirrors but someone following you can detect it.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Not enough tongue weight is a problem that makes all trailers (big or small) wiggle down the road. do what Mike said and put more weight on the tongue.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There have been no reported issues with pulling a trailer with a Spyder that I can recall. I've pulled RT-622, Lees-Ure Lite, Pet trailer, HF Tag-a-long all with no issues whatsoever (other than excessive vibration at the tongue from being mounted on the axle rather than the frame)
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redrazor View Post
    Not enough tongue weight is a problem that makes all trailers (big or small) wiggle down the road. do what Mike said and put more weight on the tongue.
    If memory serves me correctly, I seem to recall a 2/3 - 1/3 ratio being the rule of thumb with the most weight being on the tongue and keeping in mind both the total weight limit and the tongue weight limit for the bike and the trailer.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

Yes it could possibly be a problem..... Specially when it drags your rear wheel sideways......this way....no that way....Ye Ha! Usually caused by a grossly overloaded trailer, and or a draw bar that is too short for its application, or poorly loaded trailer with too little or too much weight on the draw bar.
    Last edited by Isopedella; 06-21-2022 at 01:50 AM.

Spyder Garage

we have 2 trailers - 1 camper and 1 cargo; no problem here.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-22-2022 at 06:09 AM. Reason: -
    2019 f3t , titanium

Spyder Garage
    2012 RTL 14 RTS , Pearl White @ Pearl White

Spyder Garage

"we were passed by a two-up Goldwing motorcycle towing a small enclosed cargo trailer. We were driving at about 75mph"'

Okay, THAT'S scary!!
    Please don't spook the road-sheep.

Spyder Garage

Typically trailer sway is caused by an improperly loaded trailer that has too much weight behind the axle. Or they loaded it correctly and the load shifted from hitting bumps while traveling down the road.
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents