Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Doesn't DESS work well as a security device?

I've been reading all these threads over the years about DESS malfunctioning on some models and years of Spyders, prompting a wholesale movement to disable the system.

I think, for the benefit of newer members, we should put this issue into a proper perspective. DESS is designed to prevent or at least discourage theft of our bikes. It seems to me, at least anecdotally, that it is working extremely well, isn't it?
    Last edited by UtahPete; 07-23-2022 at 02:23 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, it works extremely well. UNTIL IT DOESN'T!

My story: After a full-service oil-change, etc., my dealer's steward did the usual wash job. But failed to remove the ignition key first, allowing water to run down into the switch. Upshot: No start. DESS unit shot! Replacement covered by warranty. EIGHT DAYS waiting for part delivery, no ride for 8 days! Had to arrange other transportation to get back home. And to return again after repair.

Just a regular PITA!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess what you're saying is there are weaknesses to the ignition switch design that could result in DESS failure? But the DESS itself seems to be working as intended?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pete, I agree with you. D.E.S.S. works very well in my estimation. We ONLY hear noise from those who had had problems with it, but hear nothing from the masses that have not had problems (I have to plead guilty). Also, a lot of members discount the insurance aspect of disabling DESS. This is a $30,000 machine and I’m not willing to take the chance of an insurance denied claim because DESS was disabled. Do you think that Insurance Adjusters don’t follow this site?

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    Pete, I agree with you. D.E.S.S. works very well in my estimation. We ONLY hear noise from those who had had problems with it, but hear nothing from the masses that have not had problems (I have to plead guilty). Also, a lot of members discount the insurance aspect of disabling DESS. This is a $30,000 machine and I’m not willing to take the chance of an insurance denied claim because DESS was disabled. Do you think that Insurance Adjusters don’t follow this site?
    And I don't remember there being even one instance of a DESS-equipped Spyder getting stolen.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have had three bikes with this chipped key system. The first two worked flawlessly for 80K and 87K miles. My 2015 RT was nothing but a pain so I had it disabled. I don't think the idea is flawed. I think BRP chooses to use the lowest bidder and gets crap parts. Kudos to those that haven't had issues and I hope your good fortune continues. For those of us who have been stranded and have had the parts replaced MORE THAN ONCE we have zero faith in BRP to resolve the problem and we have it disabled. To each his own. You ride your ride and I'll ride mine.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Navydad View Post
    I have had three bikes with this chipped key system. The first two worked flawlessly for 80K and 87K miles. My 2015 RT was nothing but a pain so I had it disabled. I don't think the idea is flawed. I think BRP chooses to use the lowest bidder and gets crap parts. Kudos to those that haven't had issues and I hope your good fortune continues. For those of us who have been stranded and have had the parts replaced MORE THAN ONCE we have zero faith in BRP to resolve the problem and we have it disabled. To each his own. You ride your ride and I'll ride mine.
    I realize it's personal choice. I'm just wondering if 'security' factors into your thinking on this.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

When I got my insurance, I mentioned that the bike had the DESS and told them what it was for.
    They did not give a discount for it so do they view it as a theft deterrent?

Either way unless I start having problems and repairing it is outrageous, I'll just leave it as is.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post
    When I got my insurance, I mentioned that the bike had the DESS and told them what it was for.

Either way unless I start having problems and repairing it is outrageous, I'll just leave it as is.
    Insurance companies have a different perspective in assessing risk exposure than we mere mortals, I think.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I guess what you're saying is there are weaknesses to the ignition switch design that could result in DESS failure? But the DESS itself seems to be working as intended?
    No, I am not saying the switch is a weak design. It has an inner flap that closes nicely when the key is removed.

What I am saying is untrained people who don't know to remove that key first should not be allowed anywhere near a Spyder with a water dispensing device! And we poor saps who know this have NO control over those who DO NOT.

And I am now out of warranty, so if said dealer does that again, I'd consider going to court if he tries to charge ME for another new one.

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by K80Shooter View Post

Insurance companies have sophisticated procedures to rate each vehicle, with consideration given for any and every claim-deterrent feature on that vehicle. The agent has no leeway to discount extra for something already rated. (Your insurance company asks for your VIN. Modern computer systems use that VIN to instantly learn everything about the vehicle, and then instantly collect the feature-rates for that VIN.)

If yours fails at your expense, you can't just leave it as is, because the engine will not start. You have to either fix it or disable it. Action required! (Otherwise people wouldn't be getting "stranded" when they fail.)
    Last edited by missouriboy; 07-23-2022 at 04:25 PM. Reason: VIN !

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't know how far back it goes as my 2010 has a regular ignition key, no Dess, However any truck or car or motorcycle or............all have a dess of some sort for the last 10 or so years. Just be aware of where you park, a little common sense goes a long way.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Insurance companies have sophisticated procedures to rate each vehicle, with consideration given for any and every claim-deterrent feature on that vehicle. The agent has no leeway to discount extra for something already rated. (Your insurance company asks for your VIN. Modern computer systems use that VIN to instantly learn everything about the vehicle, and then instantly collect the feature-rates for that VIN.)

If yours fails at your expense, you can't just leave it as is, because the engine will not start. You have to either fix it or disable it. Action required! (Otherwise people wouldn't be getting "stranded" when they fail.)
    The "Leave it as is" means until I have problems, I'm not touching it. I fully understand what happens if it goes bad and you don't fix it.

Also I was asked if the bike had any anti-theft device on it.
    2020 RT Limited Chrome , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Don't know how far back it goes as my 2010 has a regular ignition key, no Dess, However any truck or car or motorcycle or............all have a dess of some sort for the last 10 or so years. Just be aware of where you park, a little common sense goes a long way.
    Please elaborate on how you got around the DESS module on your 2010.
    2010 RT
    2015 Ural
    1980 & 1982 R65 BMW
    1975 R90/6 BMW
    1956 Triumph TR3A

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donbmw View Post
    No, please don't. That's not the purpose of this thread. Thanks.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Yes, it works extremely well. UNTIL IT DOESN'T!

My story: After a full-service oil-change, etc., my dealer's steward did the usual wash job. But failed to remove the ignition key first, allowing water to run down into the switch. Upshot: No start. DESS unit shot! Replacement covered by warranty. EIGHT DAYS waiting for part delivery, no ride for 8 days! Had to arrange other transportation to get back home. And to return again after repair.

Just a regular PITA!
    Interesting .... water CAN"T get into the DESS module thru the Ignition switch .... they are separated by about 14 inches and the module is SEALED ..... Something may have happened to the Antennae, but not the Module .....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by old Timer View Post
    Old Timer, your 2010 DOES have a DESS, just not one that fails often, if at all?!? I can't recall if there's been any reports of a pre 2014 DESS failure here, but maybe?? Buuut, the other side of the pre-2014 DESS performance was that the keys weren't easy to replace, and we have seen a few people having issues with that; altho the simple/non BRP approved answer to those problems is to just clone at least one of your keys BEFORE you lose any of them, & then keep a good key in a safe place... Just about any good locksmith can do that cloning for you, and here in Oz, if you buy one of their chipped blanks, get it cut & cloned by them, then the whole lot's probably not going to cost you as much as $100...

However, and more to the point of this thread, there have been quite a few reports of post 2014 DESS failures leaving people stranded at the most inopportune times, and I think those who haven't experienced this juuust might not be quite aware of how frustrating it can be to simply never know if your bike will start this time or at any time?! Once these DESS issues start, they don't go away until fixed, they just get worse - but they may not happen EVERY time you try to start your bike, at least not initially! So picture this - you go out one day & your bike doesn't start... you muck around with it for 20 minutes & suddenly it starts & all appears fine. And then it starts OK for the rest of the month. Fine, no biggie, you can work with that - only a short while later, when you're 2 days into that 10 day trip you've planned forever with your SO, it bloody well starts happening again! Only this time nothing you can do will get it going again! So 4+ hours later, you finally get a tow to the nearest dealer who puts the key in & it starts up fine immediately, and they then can't get the failure to repeat!! Same thing happens like that a few more times over the next 8 days, costing heaps & totally ruining your trip; and by the time you get home, it's juuust NOT starting at all for some hours on about every 3rd start attempt! Orright, it's obviously a dud DESS, and it only takes you 2 (or 6! ) months to convince the dealer of that & that they need to warranty it, so it's finally replaced, and things are good for a year...... until it starts happening again!

Only by now, your bikes outta warranty and they want you to pay something like $1k to fit exactly the same device that's already failed in your Spyder twice.... Do you fork out the $$ and get the replacement, or go find someone who'll turn DESS off? OK, you're worried about security, so you take the hit in the wallet... and then within a year or so, once again you're back in the world of bloody frustration that this freakin stupid DESS failure brings!! And it ALWAYS fails on you when you least want it to!! So maybe you start avoiding riding, planning shorter trips so you know you can get home if you need to, things like that. Great security system - if your bike never leaves home it'll never get stolen, right?!? . NO!! Buggrit, you bought your Spyder to RYDE, so dammit, you're gonna ryde! And off you go to meet up with a few mates, but first, you'll just stop & get one of those really great coffees/buns/rolls/whatever from that little place in the seedy neighbourhood you hafta pass thru on the way... OOPS!! Bike won't start!! Only it's really the worst possible neighbourhood for anyone to leave a bike ever, and not a great place to stay longer than it takes to pick up said coffee/whatever, so you immediately call for a tow!! And of course, Murphy jumps in - Towie arrives, & his rig is a boom rig that can't tow your Spyder without damaging it.... But there's already a bit of an ugly crowd watching, and while you really don't want to damage your Spyder by letting this boom rig pick it up &/or tow it; you just can't leave it here either! And the crowd's started to move in, sensing the desperation - your SO Pillion really doesn't want to stay here any more, so whaddaya gonna doo!! ...... if only you'd had the DESS turned off instead when you last replaced it!!!

I don't really think you can really call THAT ^^ 'security', can you?? Some might feel that there's a whole lot more 'security' in knowing that all else being equal, your Spyder WILL start whenever you turn the key and press the button; but a so called 'security system' that makes starting a gamble each and every time - is that really any safer than having a relatively low volume, easily identified, not easy to start or lift and with little real 'parting out' value machine that's not really all that attractive as a theft target??

How many Spyders have actually been stolen anyway?? Have ANY stolen Spyders been Spyders with their DESS disabled?? How many people have been REALLY put out/trips ruined &/or faced significant extra costs & difficulties thru DESS failures that could have been avoided if their DESS either worked properly or was disabled? I don't know the real answer to those first two questions, but there's been none reported here that I'm aware of; and when it comes to that last one, have you SEEN how long Deanna's DESS AGAIN ***** thread is?? There's quite a few, and I bet there's been even more not reported in that thread

Juuust Sayin'
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 07-23-2022 at 11:13 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting .... water CAN"T get into the DESS module thru the Ignition switch .... they are separated by about 14 inches and the module is SEALED ..... Something may have happened to the Antennae, but not the Module .....Mike
    Gosh Mike, thanks for that info. The dealer of course never did explain to me exactly what they replaced, but why would it be anything else? I recall another thread on here where someone stated that water distorts the radio signal from the key-chip. Perhaps if allowed to dry out long enough, nothing would have to be replaced? I dunno... all I know is they replaced SOMETHING, and it took 8 days to get it.

BajaRon Anti-sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    How many Spyders have actually been stolen anyway?? Have ANY stolen Spyders been Spyders with their DESS disabled?? How many people have been REALLY put out/trips ruined &/or faced significant extra costs & difficulties thru DESS failures that could have been avoided if their DESS either worked properly or was disabled? I don't know the real answer to those first two questions, but there's been none reported here that I'm aware of; and when it comes to that last one, have you SEEN how long Deanna's DESS AGAIN ***** thread is?? There's quite a few, and I bet there's been even more not reported in that thread
    Juuust Sayin'
    Peter, you beat me to the question. Don't think the Spyder rates high on the stolen motorcycle list.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    Peter, you beat me to the question. Don't think the Spyder rates high on the stolen motorcycle list.
    It does if it's parked in Montreal ..... this was learned from news reports about Mtc. Gang activity ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Gosh Mike, thanks for that info. The dealer of course never did explain to me exactly what they replaced, but why would it be anything else? I recall another thread on here where someone stated that water distorts the radio signal from the key-chip. Perhaps if allowed to dry out long enough, nothing would have to be replaced? I dunno... all I know is they replaced SOMETHING, and it took 8 days to get it.
    Well ...How much were you charged .... changing the Antennae shouldn't cost much for parts and labor .... the actual DESS module now costs about $ 150 for the part .... however the entire FRUNK has to be removed to get to it, I know I've done it. a dealer might charge $350 for labor alone .... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by UtahPete View Post
    I realize it's personal choice. I'm just wondering if 'security' factors into your thinking on this.
    Being stranded a thousand miles from home factors into my thinking on this. We have an Easy Riders event here every year and every year there are nice Harley's stolen, usually from a restaurant parking lot. Security systems, ignition disablers, nor wheel locks are a problem for thieves that really want your bike. I don't know if an insurance adjuster would give me grief about DESS, but I do know he/she wouldn't give a rats butt where I am or whether my bike started or not. Something gives me problems or doesn't work as it should I get rid of it. Life's too short.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm beginning to think this is one of those issues, like ATGATT and carrying spare fuel, that is driven too much by emotion for there to be a rational discussion about it.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Kinda comes down to this. If your DESS goes out on you away from home, at least you still have your spyder. If you disable your DESS and your spyder gets stolen then you have no spyder. Think I'll stay with the DESS. JMHO Sometimes it feels like if I didn't have bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Donbmw View Post
    My mistake, I just reread what I posted, was referring to my 2010 Tundra, just went out to check and lo and behold it must have a Dess module. Sorry about that, definitely a brain fart. Too much New Mexico Sun...
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L