Spyder Garage

Default First Spyder ---- Rant

Greetings from East Texas.

Decision to buy:
    To be clear, the 2021 RT Lt is my wife's. She's 70 so a transition to three wheels was smart.
    She rode a 2008 Softail Deluxe 105k mi and a 2018 Softail Deluxe for only about 25k mi. Covid19
    canceled her annual Motor Maids conventions for two years but are back for late June.
    So mid Jan 2022 she put a deposit on a 2022 that a dealer had on order.

The switch:
    Her anxiety cranked up though when the new RT didn't arrive as expected. She switched gears and decided to purchase a used RT based on the bird in the hand rule. I really thought in this case a new bike was a wiser choice.

The purchase:
    Of course the sales guy tells us it is a one owner, the old guy passed away and the family wanted out from under it. He wouldn't budge 25 cents on the asking price. The test ride was problematic. The elec. parking brake was acting up and of course the sales guy said it was me and promised that it'll work fine once we get the hang of it. The bike shifted good and tracked straight so we purchased as is with no warranty. She paid $25k or about a grand less than others we were seeing.

First ride:
    The 150 mile return home from Arlington had me in the SUV and her following on the RT. Ahead of us was the most monstrous thunderstorm with lightning nobody in their right mind would ride into. My wife left her rain gear home. So, I'm leading her down US Hwy 175 toward Jacksonville Tx and then a right turn on US 69 heading home. I kept driving slower and slower thinking the rain ahead might disappear. I pulled over into a small service station to waste even more time. She decided to top off her tank and after a while it looked like she was having trouble with the parking brake audible alert. Now I know you experienced Spyder riders are thinking, ha! the brake is stuck on and they are stranded. Nope, bike had no parking brake at all except for the loud "brake is on" noise, I'm not feeling threatened. On the other hand we were getting a "transmission error" alert. The day was taking longer than planned, our dogs were at home so we traded vehicles, she left and I waited for the wrecker that never came. It was 10pm, after dark & the service station had closed and I was in alone in a town with no protection so, I rode the last 50 miles with the parking brake audible alert wailing like a banshee. Man I was soooo happy to get home dry. Next morning I checked for error codes. I turned the key, dropped it in reverse, let my foot off the footbrake and . . . I'm not budging. Now laugh, yes the PB is stuck on.

The warranty:
    Well in the meantime we're thinking,
    this bike must definitely have a transferable warranty, right ? All we have to do is wait till we can contact BRP when they open. I know without a warranty I am sitting duck at the dealer.
    Well BRP couldn't have been nicer. In mere days our warranty was transferred with 6 months factory warranty left.

The drop off:
    I had already visited a dealer service department to introduce myself and explain a little about the problem and that I needed permission to release the PB cable to roll the Spyder out of the garage. The head service guy was like "sure, just tell whoever writes up the ticket you had my permission". Well sometime prior to riding the bike to the dealer, the PB button gets pushed causing the unattached cable to overtravel. We drop off the Spyder and the wait begins.

The service:
    So far no anxiety, warranty is in effect and the service writer say the tech will get to it in a week.
    Of course no one calls in a week and we go into week two. Week two and no call. You know the routine, nobody knows anything, eventually the tech looks at the problem but no one can read the
    techs handwriting. I step it up and call the warranty manager at the dealership. Very nicely I'm told
    wait, the ball is in BRP's court. Now along with the PB, the motorized windshield wasn't working either. I'm looking for something called a WSM which isn't listed on the BRP microfiche.

The attempt:
    Eventually BRP authorizes a warranty replacement windshield motor. It reminds me of a power window motor. This takes two weeks to ship and install to no avail. Turns out BRP likes starting small and working up to the expensive parts over time. By now my confidence is seriously waning.

The fix:
    Next BRP authorizes (drumroll please)
    an expensive little part called a windshield support assembly. This is a non-available part at this time only gotten through an approval process. This is another two week turn around but . . . Guess what, it works ! So what used to be called a WSM is now a WSA.
    They leave the new windshield motor in and now everything is operational. Beautiful !
    BRP covers about $2000. Everything but the PB cable overtravel. We're happy They're happy to see us go. 8-10 weeks at the dealer, I lost count. My cost $129.

The accessories:
    So now I have a week to switch handlebars, change the oil and add a GPS. I put off the oil change and focus on Lamonster handlebars, GPS swivel mount and on moving the old 595LM harness over from the Harley. I tell my wife I'm surprised the techs helper really left all of the right side body screws loose AND cracked one of two plastic tabs in the painted panel. After installation I'm buttoning up the body work and I realize the 5 torx screws are all thoroughly stripped out. I mean they're really loose. I email photos to the dealer. I'm not worried. If the dealer doesn't step up to the plate I might try the super glue & baking soda hack on the stripped plastic screw bosses.

The 2022 RT Deposit:
    The matt black RT LT did make it finally to the out of state dealer but sits in a crate missing parts.
    My wife wants me to buy this but . . . .
    `to be continued.

Hey I had fun telling this story. I love working on bikes, though everything is so expensive and hard to get these days. I enjoy reading ya'lls posts.
    Later.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

You Sir have the patience of Jobe. The dealer network for Spyders is really *iss *oor and that's being kind. ..... good luck .... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-19-2022 at 08:03 PM. Reason: god luck?

Spyder Garage

Great story, I can't wait for the next installment.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Great story, I can't wait for the next installment.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is your story going to be a made-for-TV movie ??

Asking for a friend ....

SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper6 View Post
    Is your story going to be a made-for-TV movie ??

Asking for a friend ....

I don't care who you are. That's some funny s**t there!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Hate that you are having the issues......but love the story.