Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Spyder surgery - one less thing to remove for servicing!

IMG_5417.jpg

One less thing to remove to change the oil filter. 5" hole saw and done. Yes, I removed the panel for drilling.

Lew L

IMG_5416(1).jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-17-2022 at 11:34 PM. Reason: OP sorted Duplicate pix, stated wrong filter previously / Fixed attach display
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, that’s one way of doing it…..
    2019 F3L , Covid Blue

Spyder Garage

Dang Lew, is gas so bad in NV that you have to change it out that often?
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post
    IMG_5417.jpg

One less thing to remove to change the oil filter. 5" hole saw and done. Yes, I removed the panel for drilling.

Lew L

IMG_5416(1).jpg

Holey moley! Fuel filter only needs replacing every 28k I think.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-17-2022 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Funny, One of the guys who helped hold the panel( which is NOT visible when all the tupperwear is replaced) said that some people on Spyderlovers couldn't handle something that made life easier during an oil change. He was obviously correct. Cutting a hole in a useless panel to access the oil filter with out removing the panel just makes it that much easier each time when I change the oil and filter. But it's OK to drill a hole in the seat to add fuel??? I've done a number of DIY improvements to my but maybe it would be best if I just keep them to my local friends.

Yes Pete, it is a big hole. No offense taken from you.
    Last edited by Lew L; 06-17-2022 at 06:43 PM. Reason: speeling

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.

Very Active Member Snowbelt Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Lew. All that makes sense. Except that in your first post, you said that you did this in order to change the fuel filter, not oil filter. That’s why the initial reaction.

Doug

2023 RT Limited, RT 622, BUDS/BUD2 Megatech/Megatronic

”Freedom is not a loophole”

F4 Customs SWCV, Ultimate, Lidlox, Adjustable Side Vents, Leather Like Grips, SS Grills, Centramatic, Garmin XT2, BajaRon Original Sway Bar w/ Lamonster links, P238

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Snowbelt Spyder View Post
    Lew. All that makes sense. Except that in your first post, you said that you did this in order to change the fuel filter, not oil filter. That’s why the initial reaction.
    Well thanks and I'll fix my mistake........

Ya couldn't reach the fuel filter through that small hole

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Funny, One of the guys who helped hold the panel( which is NOT visible when all the tupperwear is replaced) said that some people on Spyderlovers couldn't handle something that made life easier during an oil change. He was obviously correct. Cutting a hole in a useless panel to access the oil filter with out removing the panel just makes it that much easier each time when I change the oil and filter. But it's OK to drill a hole in the seat to add fuel??? I've done a number of DIY improvements to my but maybe it would be best if I just keep them to my local friends.

I too thought it was for accessing the fuel filter, which I think is only a 28k interval. Now it makes more sense, particularly if it's not visible.

That panel looks different from mine, I think. I don't remember having to remove it to access the oil filter....Obviously it's been awhile since I had to access that area.

BTW, the hole in the seat to access the fuel is definitely worth it I think.
    Last edited by UtahPete; 06-17-2022 at 07:04 PM.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What is this "useless panel" you speak of, Lew ??

Mine doesn't have it, so your mod doesn't apply to me ........ although the guy who took the pic sure knows what the hell he was doing to compose such a lovely, yet informative, picture.

BTW, good ride today. Thanks for giving me some of your DOT 4 brake fluid.
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Spyder Garage

Good ryde, good lunch, good company, good DOT 4 brake fluid. I think the panel has a support built into the right side as it seemed structural. I didn't drill there. It may also be for noise reduction and/or heat shielding. My doesn't have a problem with either.

Spyder Garage

I like it. I'll do it.
    2015 RT , Black

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Good ryde, good lunch, good company, good DOT 4 brake fluid. I think the panel has a support built into the right side as it seemed structural. I didn't drill there. It may also be for noise reduction and/or heat shielding. My doesn't have a problem with either.
    I did this 2 yrs. ago and have not noticed any difference in heat in that area...... Mike

Spyder Garage

I don't have an RT but can appreciate the ingenuity. good job!
    21 Spyder base F3

Spyder Garage

Hey Lou and Lew. The photographer did a highly commendable job. The wrench mechanic took superb care in locating and cutting the hole.
    That third guy just watched and learned from the experience of the pros.

As many of the observers may note: You should be worried about changing the structural stability of the right side of the Spyder. Oh My...
    It could also void your warrantee. Ho Hum...

Good work session this morning and fun ride following the work and lunch.
    Cheers, David C.
    David C
    2016 F3T
    DIY Garage Door Opener & GPS Mount
    Battery tender cable
    Rear IPS Pack Rack

Very Active Member Peacekeeper6's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Haze View Post
    Hey Lou and Lew. The photographer did a highly commendable job. The wrench mechanic took superb care in locating and cutting the hole.
    That third guy just watched and learned from the experience of the pros.

As many of the observers may note: You should be worried about changing the structural stability of the right side of the Spyder. Oh My...
    It could also void your warrantee. Ho Hum...

Good work session this morning and fun ride following the work and lunch.
    Cheers, David C.
    No, the third guy had enough courage (or craziness ........ you decide) to hold that panel while the wrench mechanic had a power tool in his hands capable of slicing your fingers clean off.

As far as "pros", I'm still learning a great deal from you guys. That is why I look forward and enjoy these "tech sessions". It's also because it beats doing yard work, LOL.

Thanks again for the lunch. Hope you and Lew have a GREAT time in SD.

Ride safe !!
    SIGNATURE PIC CURRENTLY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2016 Toyota Sienna SE - hers
    2002 BMW 325i - his
    1994 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 Sportside Z71 - whoevers vehicle is in the shop
    2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
    2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
    2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
    2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
    2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
    1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMG_5417.jpg

Lew L

IMG_5416(1).jpg
    Lew, I hope you will continue posting your very interesting mods and experiences. Even the seemingly radical ones. They make good reading.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,
    The only ( semi) radical one is the intake mod. Most owners don't know how the air gets to the intake/ air filter. That long tube on the left side near the frunk ends at the front of the with a restricted opening on the very front/left of the 's nose. I cut out the baffle that blocks the air flow and then heated the thermoplastic to enlarge the opening to close to double its size. Not RAM air but MUCH freer flowing , especially at speed.
    I've modded intakes on my ZX11, and V-Max for some improvement----- every little bit helps.

Lew L

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,
    The only ( semi) radical one is the intake mod. Most owners don't know how the air gets to the intake/ air filter. That long tube on the left side near the frunk ends at the front of the with a restricted opening on the very front/left of the 's nose. I cut out the baffle that blocks the air flow and then heated the thermoplastic to enlarge the opening to close to double its size. Not RAM air but MUCH freer flowing , especially at speed.
    I've modded intakes on my ZX11, and V-Max for some improvement----- every little bit helps.

Lew L
    I also scrapped all that plastic. .... now I have a 3 in. tube that goes directly into the airbox .... pics are in one of my albums ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I also scrapped all that plastic. .... now I have a 3 in. tube that goes directly into the airbox .... pics are in one of my albums ..... Mike
    Question-----
    Where does the tube draw intake air from??? Inside the tupperwear??

Spyder Garage

Question-----
    Where does the tube draw intake air from??? Inside the tupperwear??
    Well if I understand you ..... ( & I hope you looked at the pic ) . My set-up operates the same way the OEM system, except there is no plastic air intake tube. When I take the Frunk off part of my tube stays attached to the frunk and the other part stays attached to the air box plastic .... they just slide together ..... there's no need for this to air tight because all the air is pre-filter. .... I hope this makes sense..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,

Lew L
    hmmmm, I like this idea. Will need to poke around a little and maybe do it. I enlarged the leading edge of the intake tube on the two R1200Cs I have. In both instances I saw an increase in fuel mileage of 3 to 4mpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-19-2022 at 08:06 AM. Reason: and - an ;-)

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Well if I understand you ..... ( & I hope you looked at the pic ) . My set-up operates the same way the OEM system, except there is no plastic air intake tube. When I take the Frunk off part of my tube stays attached to the frunk and the other part stays attached to the air box plastic .... they just slide together ..... there's no need for this to air tight because all the air is pre-filter. .... I hope this makes sense..... Mike
    OK, I think I found the pix. ( on a white ) Where does that black tube stick out into the air stream????

Spyder Garage

I love to read and see pics of mods. Would someone please post a pic of the air intake y'all are talking about? Thanks.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bangorbob View Post
    I love to read and see pics of mods. Would someone please post a pic of the air intake y'all are talking about? Thanks.
    We were talking about two versions ..... Enlarging the OEM air intake ...OR .... totally removing it ( which is what I did )..... Mike

Spyder Garage

You know where the Air Box ( with the filter is ) .... well I removed the OEM rubber elbow, and attached half of the Metal tube to the box at the original elbow hole ..... the other half is attached ( w/ "L" brackets and rivets ) frunk wall in the same location .... sorry I don't have pics of the inside ....... All this was done to provide ambient air to go directly into the OEM air-box ..... Mike