Spyder Garage

Default Regarding K&N CM-1314 Air Filter

Greetings from East Tx, this is my first post.
    I've been reference reading for the past several weeks.

I'm readying my wife's new to her 2021 RT LT for her summer travels.
    I have other topics to share but for now I have this question,

I tried installing a K&N CM-1314 air filter. The matchup to the OEM filter is too far off to confidently install.

-The OEM filter tightly engages and seals at the bottom, also the top end is flat, but
    -The K&N sealing rubber does not engage and the cylinder is a smaller diameter. The shape of
    the top is raised and not flat.
    Because of the diameter it lays in the cradle poorly. There is no way of knowing if the K&N is truly
    sealed up (since it doesn't engage) around the seal. I believe it may leak around the seal face.

Are you 2021 RT owners that are using the CM-1314 encountering the same thing ?

Thanks,
    ETex

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ETEX View Post
    I tried installing a K&N CM-1314 air filter. The matchup to the OEM filter is too far off to confidently install.

-The OEM filter tightly engages and seals at the bottom, also the top end is flat, but
    -The K&N sealing rubber does not engage and the cylinder is a smaller diameter. The shape of
    the top is raised and not flat.
    Because of the diameter it lays in the cradle poorly. There is no way of knowing if the K&N is truly
    sealed up (since it doesn't engage) around the seal. I believe it may leak around the seal face.
    I considered changing filters to K&N, but after reviewing some filtration tests I decided to stay with the stock paper filtration medium.

In my distant enduro riding past, grease was used to coat the sealing surfaces of foam filters to achieve the necessary seal to the air box. It was very effective, but also an incredible mess. If you decide to stay with the K&N you might consider this approach. The best grease for this application was a plastic based, water proof wheel bearing grease designed for boat trailers. Servicing the air filter can be a messy ordeal -- not worth it to me.
    Head in the game, eyes down the road... 2020RT
    Spyder Tryke Pylot
    2020 RT , Lamonster extender Petrol

Spyder Garage

The K&N filter fits, but, you have to have it twisted perfectly so the top cap will go on. Very little room for error.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EdMat View Post
    The K&N filter fits, but, you have to have it twisted perfectly so the top cap will go on. Very little room for error.
    This is exactly right. The cover on the filter housing has a raised area that the raised area of the K&N CM-1314 fits into. Once you clock the filter correctly it will fit perfectly. You do not need to worry about seal. It will seal just fine.

There is a lot of negative press about the K&N air filters. The one video of dumping clumps of baking soda on the filter is quite convincing. So, if you plan to dump clumps of dirt, etc., on your filter, a paper filter will do a better job. But if you are doing what most of us do, which is driving through air with suspended particles, the K&N will do an excellent job of providing larger volumes of clean air to your engine or CVT cooling system when it is dirty, than a paper air filter will do brand new.

When used as designed, the K&N is a cost saving alternative which will give you excellent service for the life of your vehicle.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    When used as designed, the K&N is a cost saving alternative which will give you excellent service for the life of your vehicle.
    When oiled properly, absolutely correct. When over oiled or not at all, not so much!

Edit: I guess you did say 'as designed', so there you go.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    When oiled properly, absolutely correct. When over oiled or not at all, not so much!

Edit: I guess you did say 'as designed', so there you go.
    It is not difficult to properly clean and oil a K&N filter. I used to do it weekly when I had a dirt bike. But for the Spyder, they come correctly oiled (of course) and with a typical 50k service interval, it will be quite some time before you have to service it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is not difficult to properly clean and oil a K&N filter. I used to do it weekly when I had a dirt bike. But for the Spyder, they come correctly oiled (of course) and with a typical 50k service interval, it will be quite some time before you have to service it.
    Much thanks for the response guys. I'm bailing on the K&N.
    Maybe I'll look at it later. My wife is riding out in the morning so I just wanna' keep it simple.
    Keep on the look out for other tech questions I'll have so If you don't mind I'll tap into your
    experience again.