Spyder Garage

Default So, I got back from the dealer...... Update!

I went in to get a new rear tire (Kenda, spit). Been waiting since April for some to come in.

I got back on the road to hear brake squeal when I applied the brakes. Really hard to tell from which wheel, since I was in downtown traffic. As I got out into the suburbs away from traffic, I think I could hear it squealing even as I moved. Hard to tell with earplugs and a full face helmet. So I got home and put my hand next to the rear brake disc -- hot as heck. Misalignment issue? So I called the dealer and he said bring it in when they open tomorrow morning.

About 20 minutes later, i went into the garage and smelled hot rubber. So I checked around the bike and noticed this:

IMG_20220616_200537874.jpg

I'm going to have a long talk with the service manager.

In the meantime, how do I get the belt back onto the sprocket? I'm thinking tap it gently with a rubber mallet, but that might be too drastic.

Spyder Garage

unless you just backed up? does no good to tap it back onto sprocket, it will just move back out. you will have to adjust the adjusters and loosen axle nut. better to have picked up, or TAKE it real easy now riding back in. the belt is probably touching front sprocket too

add - yep, brakes could be off, belt tension could be way to high or loose. would NOT go back there..............
    Last edited by Woodaddict; 06-16-2022 at 08:50 PM. Reason: add extra
    2015 Spyder RT Ltd- bUrp - only add the "U", 2010 Honda NT700V-red,2010 Honda NT700V-silver retired @201,111 miles, 1997 Honda PC800, 1996 Honda PC800, Honda CT500, Honda Shadow 500, 1978 Suzuki GS550, 1973 Suzuki TC125, other assorted smaller bikes, Suzuki TM400

Spyder Garage

I would not try to ride that with that much belt mis-alignment. Your dealer OWES you a trailer trip back and repair. He sent you out on the road with a very unsafe condition (Not to mention a crap tire). Document, document, document! Lots of pictures. Have them fix this and then look for a dealer that knows what they are doing for the future..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Update: it gets worse. I went out to the bike to see if I could persuade the belt to get back onto the sprocket. I found that the belt had moved so far off the sprocket that it was grinding the belt guard.

IMG_20220616_222433811.jpg

IMG_20220616_222337091.jpg

Definitely need to tow this back to the dealer.

The dealer loses big time. I was considering buying a new Spyder, but my wife says no way. If they can't maintain my current machine, why buy a new one? Tomorrow will be interesting.

Mods: how do I put "updated" in the thread title?
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-17-2022 at 01:07 AM. Reason: Fixed attach display

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post

Mods: how do I put "updated" in the thread title?
    I've fixed it for you

Buuuut, if you want to edit a thread title, it's fairly easy if you can still edit the first post (and you should be able to do that... maybe?! ) altho it is a bit fiddly! Just hit 'Edit Post' (bottom right of your first post in the thread) which will open the post in Edit mode (if you change the title here, it only changes the title of your post, which is a pretty useless field anyway, cos some readers won't even be able to see that! ); then down the bottom right of that screen, hit 'Go Advanced', which will take you to the Advanced Edit Post page....( ) & up the top of that page, about 3 lines below the 'Your Message' there is a Title Field which is where you need to update the Thread Title. Fix it there, hit submit, and the Thread Title is changed!

2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Its been updated by Peter A.

Crikey. Not good. I would ask for a new belt as well. Thats been dragging where it shouldn't on the belt guard. I would have a look and take plenty of photos along the way. Make notes ( time date ) of conversations and keep any e-mails and txt.

Shoddy kindergarten level work.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear, good luck with the fix.

Spyder Garage

Did the service tech not test drive before he signed off on it? When will Can-Am put shaft drive in these things? My last bike had shaft drive and boy was it nice. Belts and chains can be a pain.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I would say that shop owes you a belt guard, belt, and a tow to the shop!!! The tow would be a must, so they can see just how messed up they did their job! On the other side of the coin, why did you wait so long to do a walk around?? The minute I heard the squealing I would have been off the thing checking the thing out!!! Good luck!!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Definitely do not drive it. I would guess they failed to tighten the adjusters, the axle bolt or both. Very bad. You are lucky you got home.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

"why did you wait so long to do a walk around??"

Things looked OK at the dealer. Pulled out into rush hour traffic; couldn't hear much with earplugs. It wasn't until I got away from traffic (and almost home) that I could hear anything. And by then, the dealer was closed.

Spyder Garage

Angry Shoddy workmanship

That is just terrible, shoddy workmanship. I'm sure the dealer is truly pissed at his tech but won't fire him. I hope he does everything to make it right, making you more than pleased. Like a tow ( to and from ) , All parts replaced that his tech damaged, A free farkel or oil service to sweeten the deal.

Will be aligning a friends belt today and I know we will do a better job than that--------------
    Last edited by Lew L; 06-17-2022 at 10:22 AM. Reason: speeling
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You are lucky you got home.
    What Ron said. That belt guard is probably the only thing that kept that belt on the sprocket. Shoddy work for sure! Actually just piss poor!!
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Spyder Garage

Friday A.M. update:

I called the dealer as soon as they opened. Owner/manager not in today, so I got the service manager. I described the problem. "I'll send someone out immediately and pick it up. We'll make this right." 45 minutes later, a tech showed and we got it on the trailer. He looked at it and agreed they'd messed this up. Still haven't heard anything.

I'm not that worried about these guys. They've always been open and sincere with me. I think their challenge is that these machines are so complex, they are frequently baffled at what the real fix might be. I'm willing to give them time to get it right (which they've said they appreciate).

As a matter of fact, there's been a few times when I pulsed the Spyderlovers community on an issue, and I've taken that info to them. It's helped them zero in on the problem (especially my earlier DESS issues). So thanks to all you guys for chiming in.

Spyder Garage

Unless they had the parts, it will take a couple days for sure!! Glad they want to make it right!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Friday A.M. update:

I called the dealer as soon as they opened. Owner/manager not in today, so I got the service manager. I described the problem. "I'll send someone out immediately and pick it up. We'll make this right." 45 minutes later, a tech showed and we got it on the trailer. He looked at it and agreed they'd messed this up. Still haven't heard anything.

I'm not that worried about these guys. They've always been open and sincere with me. I think their challenge is that these machines are so complex, they are frequently baffled at what the real fix might be. I'm willing to give them time to get it right (which they've said they appreciate).

As a matter of fact, there's been a few times when I pulsed the Spyderlovers community on an issue, and I've taken that info to them. It's helped them zero in on the problem (especially my earlier DESS issues). So thanks to all you guys for chiming in.
    Your bike, your call. Definitely a learning experience with dealer (we’re all human) if you’ve got the experience & rapport to trust them. Hope they treat you right & doesn’t change with the employees.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-17-2022 at 06:47 PM. Reason: er,(w

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member bodymanpainter's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

That is one of the reasons I bought my own tire machine and balancer so I do my own
    tire changes so I know it is done right and to my satisfaction.

Toby
    2020 RTL

Spyder Garage

Looking at your update pictures shows your belt is no longer usable. Happy to hear your dealer is jumping right on it and realizes their responsibility. Not knowing how far you traveled, I think you were fortunate to make it home. Wishing you the very best outcome. Please keep us advised..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

Final update: The tech who changed the tire spooged the tension adjustment on the belt. Dealer came through on his promises. All's good and my Spyder is back home.

Just to be safe, I'll limit myself to short rides for a while, though.

Spyder Garage

Thats great the Dealer stepped up and put it right, right away.
    Did they fit any replacement parts at all?

Spyder Garage

Belt guard on order. New belt (actually had one in stock).

Spyder Garage

Belt guard on order. New belt (actually had one in stock).
    If you ever do any long distance travel, it might be worth your while to try to keep the old belt as a spare!

Those belts can really take a caning & still function - I've seen some (mainly on other bike brands, but same type of belts ) that've been looking pretty ragged & worn on the back/outer side but still looking fine on the toothed side juuust keep on working well for many tens of thousands of miles!

Over to you!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

Since it was a good experience, care to share the dealer's name? We travel on our RTL to the vintage days at Barber, and it would be good to know of a reliable dealer in the central Alabama area.
    "Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"
    2021 RTL Dark Chalk Metallic with comfort seat
    1978 GL1000 w/'75 engine show bike
    1976 RD400c

Spyder Garage

Bubba-Gump Motorcycles?

Spyder Garage

My next new F3 will be shaft drive, hope that is in the BRP game plan. I loved my shaft drive 1500 Vulcan Classic, but that is gone. I love the Spyder more, wish it was shaft drive, maybe someday I hope... Glad they got you all fixed up..
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-19-2022 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Caps ;-)
    2020 F3 limited, liquid titanium
    grip puppies
    Bajaron sway bar
    lamonster belt dampener
    battery tender
    19 in freedom tinted windshield
    matte black daytona frunk wrap
    Quadtrac 165/60's