Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Too hot to ride????

Planning on riding to Harrison Arkansas on 6/25 and spending Sunday and Monday going to Hot Springs then on to Mena Monday and spending Monday night at Tallequah OK. then back home Tuesday. Should I rethink this plan and wait until Fall? I don't usually mind the heat but the weather, humidity and wind in Kansas has been brutal the past 10 days.
    Bartender
    2022 Spyder Sea to Sky

Spyder Garage

Go for it now. And go for it again in the fall
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ride at night.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Riding a M/C or a 3 wheeler is what it is. That's why we ride. I'd suggest you consider taking the car if the elements are too harsh. Cool vests and camel backs often help to withstand the heat. Baker wings can also be of some help. Ride comfortable stay happy.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    Planning on riding to Harrison Arkansas on 6/25 and spending Sunday and Monday going to Hot Springs then on to Mena Monday and spending Monday night at Tallequah OK. then back home Tuesday. Should I rethink this plan and wait until Fall? I don't usually mind the heat but the weather, humidity and wind in Kansas has been brutal the past 10 days.
    I live in Kansas as well. My riding time frame is typically Sept thru May. As you can see, I tend to not ride from June thru august. I just cant handle the heat when it hits above 90ish. 85ish is really my top temp.
    Now Ill ride in small lumps during the high heat days, but mostly 30 minute rides.

So as people are getting their bikes out, I tend to snuggle mine into the garage for those 4 months to avoid the heat. :-)
    2018 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Difficult to answer your question because you didn't indicate what temperatures you will encounter......?? I usually put the bike up for the season when we start encountering 100+ highs and low temperatures do not get below 80. Other than that, usually early morning rides when it is cooler work well. Then stop riding early afternoons before it gets hot. That will avoid any thunderstorms that tend to develop in the afternoon heat. There are MANY ways to stay comfortable when riding in higher temperatures. A search will provide you with unlimited suggestions. Good luck..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've ridden 2 wheels in the snow a number of times. Both when I had to and when I didn't have to. I've ridden my dirt bikes in the snow many times. I guess that would freak out most spyder riders? Sometimes you just simply have to take what mother nature throws your way I guess. Been wanting to take my spyder out in the snow just to see how nanny works.

Spyder Garage

Well I can testify that this week and next week look brutal. Its been 97 with heat index of 110-115 so far this week and they are predicting the same next week with a few days of around 100.

2017 F3 Limited in Intense Red Pearl

2008 Triumph Rocket (SOLD)

2002 Honda VTX 1800 C ( SOLD)

2014 Triumph Thunderbird Commander

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Everyone's tolerance is different ..... I'm 75 and is more bothered by Cold weather ( even tho I avg. 60 + days downhill skiing each year ) .... Last summer I encountered 115 F heat and I was OK with it as long as I was moving .... Good Luck .... enjoy .... Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Well I can testify that this week and next week look brutal. Its been 97 with heat index of 110-115 so far this week and they are predicting the same next week with a few days of around 100.
    Might as well be in Yuma!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I have found that having 2 or 3 cooling towels already prewet and ready to go, changed out every 50 to 75 miles, work wonders for keeping me cool in the heat. Have been known to freeze a couple in the motel fridge when traveling so they are good and cool when needed. I normally use the ones from Harbor Freight.
    2019 RT Limited , Phoenix Orange

Spyder Garage

If you do it, wear a long sleeved shirt and keep it wet. Wet the thighs of your pants, also. You can wear a perforated jacket if you want protection (recommended).
    Drink lots of water! It is easy to get dehydrated in those conditions.
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mesh jackets keep the sun off and a CamelBak can supply cold water. Personal tolerance has a lot to do with it. Good luck either way.

Spyder Garage

If you do ride, hydration begins the day BEFORE you ride. Drink lots of water, even when you don't feel thirsty. And keep drinking it all day long. Then when you're riding, drink MORE! And again, keep drinking. Take LOTS of breaks. I carry a spray bottle of water and will wet myself down often. Especially the head, neck and torso. You do not want your core temperature to get overheated. If you do find yourself getting into heat trouble, seek out a convenience store and go stand inside their beer cooler until you're cold. That advice was given to me by a retired Arizona motorcycle LEO who spent a lot of summer hours inspecting Circle Ks beer supply..... Jim
    2005 Windveil Blue Premium Mustang Convertible
    2008 Honda GL1800/California Sidecar Trike, SOLD
    2014 Platinum Silver Satin Spyder RTL, SOLD
    Semper Fi

Spyder Garage

I ride in the deep South. I've found Gatorade actually works (folks snivel about the sugars and other additives, but they work). I've also found that, during the max heat of the afternoon, those 5-hour energy drinks really help to keep you alert. Heat tends to make you drowsy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Baxter View Post
    I ride in the deep South. I've found Gatorade actually works (folks snivel about the sugars and other additives, but they work). I've also found that, during the max heat of the afternoon, those 5-hour energy drinks really help to keep you alert. Heat tends to make you drowsy.
    I think what keeps you alert is the pressure on your bladder!
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

As everyone else has already said, it's about your tolerance to the heat and maintaining hydration.

If you're able to tolerate the heat, then I say enjoy the trip. If not, then you should wait.

I LOVE the heat. I'm in NW Louisiana, and the temps have been 95+ for a week or two, and I have been riding every day, usually, around 100 miles per.
    I keep a small cooler in my frunk loaded with Gatorade and a bottle of water. I stop more often than I might during cooler temps.

You might want to consider a cup holder that you can use to hold a water bottle to hydrate on the move (I haven't gotten one that works well yet).

Good luck, and enjoy the ride!

--Exco

Spyder Garage

In the northeast, I only get a few months of riding in and then she sits in the garage for 7 months. So even though it gets hot and humid at times, I still enjoy the ride. I just don't do the short trips through congested areas. Less stopping means I stay much cooler.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

EdMat, I like your idea.

Spyder Garage

Keep in mind where you plan to go is going to have considerably higher heat indexes than Haven because of the typical humidity of the area. That alone should dictate you make your rides considerably shorter than what you can tolerate at home. Last July, a friend and I made weeklong trip from the Tx Panhandle to Bentonville to pick up a parts bike I had made a deal on. Instead of wasting a 1000-mile round trip just to pick up a bike, we decided to take both of my cruisers on a trailer behind his 1-ton van and then bring the parts bike home in the back of the van. We set aside two days to ride and three days enjoy the company of my in-laws in Bentonville. On the trip out we discussed routes and lengths of rides. It was decided we should limit the miles because of all the great scenery we wanted to soak in and because of the need to avoid heat stress from the vastly different climate they have from what we are used to here at home. Normal day rides here range from 250 to 350 miles. In AR, our longest ride was 152 miles and we felt pretty certain it was a good choice. If you HAVE to go now be cautious, otherwise I'd wait until late Sept to early Oct. to ride that area.

On another note, you mentioned Mena, AR. I've made the ride across the Tali-Mena drive a couple of times and highly recommend you do that if time allows. It is one of the best laid out and beautiful drives in that part of the area.

good luck and have fun!

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

This route is only about 30 miles longer than a couple of other more direct ways to Tahlequah. Well worth it in my opinion.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

Enjoy watch out for them there “Tar snakes” that get slick in higher temps!

608EB0DB-7793-49A4-8060-CA0F7039DFD9.jpg

(pic location unknown) also preventive maintenance; double check your radiator is clean, can breathe, & fluid is good (avg 2yr flush, add new)
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-17-2022 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Enjoy watch out for them there “Tar snakes” that get slick in higher temps!

608EB0DB-7793-49A4-8060-CA0F7039DFD9.jpg

(pic location unknown) also preventive maintenance; double check your radiator is clean, can breathe, & fluid is good (avg 2yr flush, add new)
    Years ago I had an '85 Honda Shadow 500 and dumped it because of the tar snakes. Couldn't avoid it because it was in the center of the lane on a curve.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-17-2022 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Fixed quote display
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

About three years ago I installed a hydration from MotoJug.com on my spyder. It is a bag that holds a 1 gallon insulated jug on your bike/spyder. I use the 1 gallon stainless steel jug by Arctic Trails from Walmart. It will keep ice for 36 hours or more. The kit comes with a 6ft hose and bite valve and tethered clip. I find it very convenient to just sip cold water all day as I ride. I have a problem drinking enough water and this really helps me overcome that and stay hydrated on long rides on hot days
    www.motojug.com
    Scroll down in the pictures area and you will see my spyder with jug mounted.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I've been a religious Camelbak wearer for many years both bicycling and riding my Spyder. Went for a 354 mile ride yesterday to meet friends and show them some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. The bummer was Mt. Mitchell was fogged in at the summit so they couldn't see squat. Out of the mountains the heat was a real toaster but the best part of the homeward bound leg at about 97 degrees was a short, about 20 min., heavy shower that absolutely soaked me and the road was properly crowned so there was no hydroplaning risk. It was so refreshing! The Camelbak did its job, as usual.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S