Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Advice Please - Want to get back to riding.

Hello all. It has been quite some time since I posted last. I had to sell my 2012 RT two years ago due to my husband's illness. He passed in February and it's been tough. I am thinking of purchasing another Spyder to try and get myself back. I am 68 now and know I only have a few years of riding left in me, but boy I miss it. I am wondering about your thoughts on which model to get. F3 or another RT. I will probably have to go used, but I am thinking 2016 or 2017. They seem to be more expensive than I thought, but I really need this for my mental health. Just a general question for now, but will probably have some more questions later. I can do some mechanical things myself as long as it isn't to complicated. My husband was a motorhead and did most of the work if it was needed. Thank you for any help that is offered. Lori
    BabyBlue

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
    Hello all. It has been quite some time since I posted last. I had to sell my 2012 RT two years ago due to my husband's illness. He passed in February and it's been tough. I am thinking of purchasing another Spyder to try and get myself back. I am 68 now and know I only have a few years of riding left in me, but boy I miss it. I am wondering about your thoughts on which model to get. F3 or another RT. I will probably have to go used, but I am thinking 2016 or 2017. They seem to be more expensive than I thought, but I really need this for my mental health. Just a general question for now, but will probably have some more questions later. I can do some mechanical things myself as long as it isn't to complicated. My husband was a motorhead and did most of the work if it was needed. Thank you for any help that is offered. Lori
    IF I was in the market ( for you ) I'd be looking for a used F-3 .... it's lower maintenance and good gas mileage .... pretty good reputation for reliability and it has the old style instrument cluster and radio ...... which in my humble opinion is a plus..... good luck .... I would recommend a Ryker, however, I have heard it's harder to steer them for some reason, but try one and see ......... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-16-2022 at 07:03 PM. Reason: them

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm selling a 2014 RTL at a good price.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

BabyBlue, Lori, Caswell is still a great place to get a Spyder, You have a lunch ride this Saturday leaving at 10:00am from Caswell Cycle if your Interested.
    Call Kay or Les and see what they may have for Inventory that will fit your needs.

T.P.

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As far as I’m concerned, if I were you, I’d take a serious look at the one that UtahPete is selling. It’s a 2014, and I don’t think that a 2014 should be ruled out. I’m 79 and still ride my ‘14 RTS. Good luck in your search.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

If you're going to do short trips I would think about a Ryker, but if you're going to long haul, it maybe the F3!! Glad you're getting back in the saddle!!
    2012 RTL , Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .... I would recommend a Ryker, however, I have heard it's harder to steer them for some reason, but try one and see ......... Mike
    The Ryker's don't have power steering!

On them, regardless of the Ryker model/version, it's all down to the old style 'Armstrong Steering System'... not that it's really that hard to steer them, once you get moving; but there comes a time in everyone's life when any effort saving feature &/or facility really counts!
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

289CE3ED-9B64-4F8C-8EB2-CFB7B7FCDF0F.jpeg

There are a few available variations, I definitely prefer the dash & components 2015-17. Definitely try test ryde on a ryker, smaller minimal “spyderish” & or if rentals available in your area maybe get experiment with whatever they have available
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-17-2022 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

I would have recommended an RTL in a heartbeat. I'm intrigued by the F3 recommendations. Why, other than reduced cost?
    2012 Blue Spyder RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear, wish you the best. RT is my recommendation for what it's worth. Don't see why you wouldn't have plenty of riding years left.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I would have recommended an RTL in a heartbeat. I'm intrigued by the F3 recommendations. Why, other than reduced cost?
    Well the F-3 is quite a bit lighter than the RT models....& because the seat is lower it's easier for shorter women to get on / off ...JMHO .... Mike

Spyder Garage

Perusing this thread, this is the 1st time I ever heard anyone claim a Ryker is hard to steer. Having said that, i bought a new 2020 Ryker Rally in the spring of 2020, rode it for better than a year before trading it in on the 2021 Spyder RT I now ride. Looking back, I never felt that my Ryker was even remotely hard to steer. All that said, the RT has power steering and it is effortless to turn

I would say this to Lori- Take all of the above for a test ride at your nearest & or participating dealers that offer test rides. On the money front, I’d play this one close to the vest. IOW, dont tell any of the dealer personnel you’re having money issues, & thats only so you can test ride the Rykers, RT, & the F3’s. Once you’ve ridden enough to get a feel for what you like, I’d still hold back talking money until you’re certain what you’d like to spend. Heck!, at that point you might find your next 3 wheeler from a private seller

Be it far from me to try and steer you into any particular Can Am 3 wheeler but for the sake of argument, lets say you’re enthralled with the way the Ryker rides and handles. Remember this, the first year Ryker base model had an MSRP of $7500. Picking up a lightly used one from a private seller for under $5 K is not unheard of

Best,

Jake
    Reddick Fla.
    Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT Limited
    2020 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I almost went for an F3 but the dealer sort of talked me out of it. Not because she wanted to sell me a more expensive bike, but because I mentioned the wife and I going on long hauls together. So far though, no long hauls, but still happy I got the RT instead.
    2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Hey T.P. I literally just got back from Caswells. I bought my first Spyder from them. I went to look at a 2017 F3 LTD with 21,000 miles. I sat on it and well, it just didn't speak to me. I didn't like it. The previous owner had stuck velcro strips on it for stuff too. Just as I arrived, a gentleman was selling his 2016 F3 S Special Black. (Still doing some research). Jaimie came out and said I have a better deal for you. The F3 S only had 4,000 miles. I liked the sleek look of it. It will be a different ride from my old RT, but I learn quickly. LOL, I have to as I will have a 90 mile ride home. I am having them go over it even though it has low mileage and change out the handlebars. She looks "mean" and I like it. I think I will be quite happy. I am starting to feel alive again and really looking forward to riding! I have always liked going to Caswells. Kay and Les are so friendly as well as their employees.
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

Thanks Jake. I did do a walk around a Ryker today. Quite honestly I just didn't care for it. Coming from a RT background probably makes me jaded a bit. I ended up purchasing a 2016 F3 S Special Black with 4000 miles. Fingers crossed!
    Lori
    BabyBlue

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mikey, me too!

Lori
    BabyBlue

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Enjoy the miles of smiles and wind therapy!! Make sure and post a photo of your new ride in the Spyder Garage area of the forum when you get it home. Live to Ride, Ride to Live!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

You will like the F3. I had three RT's since they first came out. Two 998's and one 1330. I liked the 1330 best. That said, we finally both got F3L's. it took me 50 miles of riding to like it better than the RT's we were used to.

Think of it as the "sports" version of the RT.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If I didn't already have a 2016 RTS I'd probably looking seriously at UtahPetes 2014. I love the cognac.
    2005 Roadtrek Chevy 210P
    2020 RT Limited-Chalk White SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Babyblue View Post
    Hey T.P. I literally just got back from Caswells. I bought my first Spyder from them. I went to look at a 2017 F3 LTD with 21,000 miles. I sat on it and well, it just didn't speak to me. I didn't like it. The previous owner had stuck velcro strips on it for stuff too. Just as I arrived, a gentleman was selling his 2016 F3 S Special Black. (Still doing some research). Jaimie came out and said I have a better deal for you. The F3 S only had 4,000 miles. I liked the sleek look of it. It will be a different ride from my old RT, but I learn quickly. LOL, I have to as I will have a 90 mile ride home. I am having them go over it even though it has low mileage and change out the handlebars. She looks "mean" and I like it. I think I will be quite happy. I am starting to feel alive again and really looking forward to riding! I have always liked going to Caswells. Kay and Les are so friendly as well as their employees.
    That you are happy and excited, is really all that matters. Now about this whole "I am 68 now and know I only have a few years of riding left in me, but boy I miss it." BALONEY! I'm 68, short and a little overweight, but just now transitioning from two to three wheels. Never-ever think you are done until your body says I'm done. As long as you have a positive attitude about keeping on going, you will. I'm planning to ryde the Spyder long after my arthritic hips and knees say "no more two wheelers."

Those who say " I can't" will always be right.
    2014 RT Limited , pewter (magnesium?)

Spyder Garage

. Gotta agree cruisinTX, Bfromla posted up exactly the right poster earlier in this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Spyder Garage

I prefer the comfort of the RTL. I also prefer the digital dash.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    There's no place like G28 X0 Y0 Z0

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"I am 68 now and know I only have a few years of riding left in me..."
    I'm sure you know yourself better than I do, but HEY, don't sell yourself short! I am only just beginning to feel that maybe I should write the same statement, but I'd have to change the "68" to "almost 83".
    And I have NO plans to quit in the foreseeable future... So don't sell yourself short!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbrucie View Post
    As far as I’m concerned, if I were you, I’d take a serious look at the one that UtahPete is selling. It’s a 2014, and I don’t think that a 2014 should be ruled out. I’m 79 and still ride my ‘14 RTS. Good luck in your search.

Big Bad Brucie is right! Utah Pete's (exactly like mine and Blue Knight's) would be perfect for you. And, at a fair price. You'd have plenty of power and comfort as well.
    2014 RTL bought in 3/20 with only 6,000 mi.
    Came with Garmin 660
    Car tires in 5/20; Elka stage 2 front shocks in 10/21

Spyder Garage

Hi Saluda. I ended up purchasing a F3-T in black. Used 2016 with 4100 miles. I had a budget in mind and this bike came in the day I went to look at a F3 LTD. The dealer worked the numbers and came in on my budget including taxes and all the other stuff. There were no RT's in MN and cost was a bit prohibitive. I am paying the dealer extra to go over it and get an oil change. Turns out it has been sitting 8 months since the last change. I pick her up this Thursday. For the first time in 5 years I am feeling alive. Thank you for your reply!
    BabyBlue