Spyder Garage

Default Anyone buy the back trunk for a 2021 RT Base model?

I read you need the trunk for about $2K the backrest padding for about $200, and a lock for about $45

Saw the trunk(in black) for $2049. on a site but they say nothing about needing the backrest padding , they do say you need the lock They show the trunk with the lock and backrest pad.

Has anyone bought the Can Am back trunk? Did you have to buy the lock and backrest pad?

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tntnj View Post
    I read you need the trunk for about $2K the backrest padding for about $200, and a lock for about $45

Saw the trunk(in black) for $2049. on a site but they say nothing about needing the backrest padding , they do say you need the lock They show the trunk with the lock and backrest pad.

Has anyone bought the Can Am back trunk? Did you have to buy the lock and backrest pad?
    Are you sure it's even still for sale ..... I read on this site that BRP has DIS-CONTINUED making them ...... .... good luck ... Mike ..........PS, a lot of folks here have added REAR trunk's to every Spyder model made. There are dozens of them available on-line from quite a few vendors ..... FOR WAY LESS MONEY ..... good luck ... Mike
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-15-2022 at 08:05 PM. Reason: alot...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...n-2021-RT-base

Edit button doesn't seem to work today, so.....I know the guy who added the SHAD top case to his bike. Turned out really nice and for a LOT less $$ than the OEM top case. There have been a few others who have followed suit.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-15-2022 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Edit button does appear to be working for me?! :-/
    2021 Honda HRV
    2245 Constitution class starship (refitted 2270-2271) (for sale)
    2021 Can Am Spyder RT (gone)
    2019 Honda CR-V (gone)
    2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited (gone)
    2014 Kawasaki Nomad (gone)

Spyder Garage

I bought the rear trunk for my 2020RT base. I bought it on sale for $1600 and my Spyder came with an extra lock that pushes in. I’m glad I bought the trunk versus the shad case because when I bought the shad case originally it was backordered for months. I said heck with it and forked out the $1600 out and I love it.
    2020 RT , Chalk White

Spyder Garage

I bought mine 2 years ago. It's all encompassed with backrest and lock.

https://can-am-shop.brp.com/on-road/...-top-case.html

2021 RT Base - Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

I copied Monk's installation using a Shad 40l case. Total cost for the Shad and BRP rear deck was less than $600.
    PXL_20220317_215728736.jpg
    Last edited by RayBJ; 06-16-2022 at 09:49 AM.
    '20 Spyder RT: Bajaron swaybar. Vredestein tires, Pedal Commander, Elka front shocks, GPS/USB/12V handlebar mount, Heli-Bars, Radar Detector, KOTT grills & vents, Shad top case, chin & DRL LEDs.
    2020 RT base , Chalk White

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not an RT, but I added a 54L Givi box to my 2016 F3T. I will be going on my first week long trip next week and am looking forward to the extra luggage space.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

That Shad is certainly way cheaper but that BRP trunk looks soooo much better. More integrated for sure. And of course factory color matched.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrogmanDave View Post
    That Shad is certainly way cheaper but that BRP trunk looks soooo much better. More integrated for sure. And of course factory color matched.
    Without a doubt, the BRP factory case is the way to go. I have found them on sale for as low as $1100. But for me, I wanted something that I could also use on my 2 wheeler (BMW K1600B). With the Givi box I am able to transition from one to the other with the turn of a key. I prefer not to have the top box on at all so I just use it when going on longer trips. Then it comes right back off.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

If you have a base RT, I have the Linq rack a top case for sale here:

https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...86#post1634086

You can remove the top case in seconds and the Linq rack plate comes off in about a minute.
    Sold: 2020RT base with numerous improvements and farkles
    Previous 2 wheels: 3 BMWs, 1 Honda, 1 Yamaha and 1 Husqvarna

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post

You can remove the top case in seconds and the Linq rack plate comes off in about a minute.
    This sure looks like your best bet !!
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

I have the top case added to my RT. It isn't color matched, but it's great. Looks better than the aftermarket versions to me. If it's affordable to you, I'd say go with it. Especially if you can get a good price for a used 1 like mentioned in the posts above.
    '20 RT Chalk Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WilcoJunoHotel View Post

I've bought a couple of things from Will. He is a good guy to deal with and provides fast shipping.

Spyder Garage

And the seat padding along with the speakers were already assembled. I'm thought it came that way w/o having to do anything extra on your end regarding assembly. Just connect to the linq plate and keep it moving.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2020 rt and ordered the trunk at the time of sale for about $ 1200.00. It only came in black, with backrest padding, and speakers included.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JohnRuckus View Post
    I have the top case added to my RT. It isn't color matched, but it's great. Looks better than the aftermarket versions to me. If it's affordable to you, I'd say go with it. Especially if you can get a good price for a used 1 like mentioned in the posts above.
    I looked into the color match panels but they are around $190 apiece. I ended up putting a wrapmyspyder decal on instead; but I sure as heck wanted the color match. Just too pricey for 2 plastic panels.

Spyder Garage

I think the OP was asking if the case is discontinued. It's still on the Can-Am website, so my guess is no, it's not discontinued. However--with the parts shortage, I could see them not taking orders because they need all the cases they can get for new RTLs. The seat padding is integrated, so you shouldn't need to buy that separately. My 2022 RT Base came with an extra lock cylinder that my dealer keyed to match and can be used for a top case or trailer if I get one. If your dealer didn't give you one of those, you may need to buy one or pay to have whatever it comes with rekeyed. You can do your own aftermarket thing for way less, but none of those have integrated seat padding or speakers, which is why the OEM is so expensive. All the aftermarket solutions I've seen require some creative hole drilling to make them fit, except the Linq option (which I looked at when I picked up my RT and it looks comically small).
    '22 Spyder RT in Hyper Silver
    2022 RT , Hyper Silver

Spyder Garage

I found a used one but he wants 2K firm for it . He has a lock in it but no key . So I would have to get the lock rekeyed . I think it is too high for a used one , a new one is $2,200 plus about 50$ for a lock with a key.

2017 F3 LTD (SOLD)
    2017 HD Freewheeler (SOLD)
    2021 RT Base Upper and lower adjustable deflectors , Top case, Signature and lower lights, Baja Ron Bar, Back rest,Fobo TPMS, Garmin 396 , LED Fender lights, Rear LED turn and brake lights, Rear Brake light flasher, Rear Saddle bag LED lights, Battery tender, Lamonster Handle Bar Riser.

Spyder Garage

I found a used one but he wants 2K firm for it . He has a lock in it but no key . So I would have to get the lock rekeyed . I think it is too high for a used one , a new one is $2,200 plus about 50$ for a lock with a key.
    When I bought mine, the dealer gave me 15% off the original price, which at that time was around $1,900 retail. I wonder if your dealer will give you that same consideration?

Spyder Garage

I found a used one but he wants 2K firm for it . He has a lock in it but no key . So I would have to get the lock rekeyed .
    That is a ridiculous price for something used. It has never ceased to amaze me what people try to get for their used items. Of course if you are willing to sit on it long enough it will usually sell. For me I sell my used cheap to get rid of it quickly. Different strokes for different folks!