Spyder Garage

Default Headlight bulb replacement - what are the bulb types?

Still working on my widowed neighbors 2009 Spyder 990. Someone replaced the headlights with HID lights and I have never liked them. Only one of the three are working. I want to replace them with LED lights. I found the two main lights are H7's, but I'm trying to find what the other two bulbs are. Everything points to 9005's but I want to make sure before I order new ones. TIA!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 9005 Lights

...Check with 'Lamonster Garage' for more information on the Lighting issues. Enjoy your Day. ....
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

My wife has a 2010 RTS. Last spring I replaced the headlights and fog lights with LED ones.

Headlight - the common 9005 or a HB3
    Fog (driving) light - is a H8 or H11

LED's make a great upgrade for both day and night use. Be very careful what you get. Not all bulbs are created equal in quality and functionality.

I have used this brand many many times in our cars and the truck as well. Very happy with them. Stay away with anything that has a fan. Fans break down, bulbs significantly dim or go out.

When you install them, make sure you align them properly as per the manufacturers instructions.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagicFingers View Post
    My wife has a 2010 RTS. Last spring I replaced the headlights and fog lights with LED ones.

Headlight - the common 9005 or a HB3
    Fog (driving) light - is a H8 or H11

LED's make a great upgrade for both day and night use. Be very careful what you get. Not all bulbs are created equal in quality and functionality.

I have used this brand many many times in our cars and the truck as well. Very happy with them. Stay away with anything that has a fan. Fans break down, bulbs significantly dim or go out.

When you install them, make sure you align them properly as per the manufacturers instructions.

Hopefully this helps you out.

Tim
    Yup. I try to avoid anything with a fan or a ballast. LEDs are low current draw and shouldn't need either (IMO). And thanx for the info by the way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by drummertom View Post
    Yup. I try to avoid anything with a fan or a ballast. LEDs are low current draw and shouldn't need either (IMO). And thanx for the info by the way.
    All HID lights require a ballast. A ballast provides a very high voltage to the bulb to get the HID light to arc and once the current starts to flow, they turn down the voltage just enough to keep the arc going.

All LED lights require a Constant Current Power Supply to drive them. No LED bulb, of any kind ever, takes and uses raw 12dc power. The little "Box" on the wire in not a ballast, though some people think so. It deals with low voltage and not high voltage. "Some" bulbs use to have the CCPS built in but the heat the bulb generates made the bulbs unstable because it affected the CCPS. You will probably always see the little "box" on the cable. That's where this power supply should be!

Tim
    Current - 2010 Spyder RTS

1) Experience is something you don't get until after you need it.
    2) A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    3) IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT, WHEN WILL YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT OVER??
    ___

Horsepower is an illusory mathematical equation; Torque is REAL, and is the source of all good things in the world.

The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?

Please check out my pics!!

Spyder Garage

I have a somewhat related question about Spyder headlights.

The owners manual says the North American Spyder uses 60w bulbs.
    My local auto parts supply has 60w and brighter 65w bulbs.

Question....Can the Spyder handle 65w bulbs without blowing the fuse?

(Yes, I know LEDs are better, but I've already decided not to go that route)

Thank you for you for sharing your expertise.....Brian

2016 RT Limited SE6
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue