Spyder Garage

Spyder Hey Ya'll We Got A New Member! Lets welcome USAFSpawn to SL

Welcome USAFSpawn, post up a hello, introduce yourself & get that 1st post notch on your Spyder!

Thanks for joining our forum community USAFSpawn, from the staff at Can-Am Spyder & Ryker Three Wheel Motorcycles.

Here's some helpful links to start you along your journey here @SL:
    Forum Rules and Guidelines
    Do's & Don'ts for new Spyder Owners
    Check out & add your Spyder to the Garage
    Check the Visited Maps page & add your traveled Map to your signature

Do NOT post support questions here, please post them in the appropriate forum once your account is approved.

Spyder Garage

New to the whole Can-Am scene. I'll be getting a used one later this week. Eyeing a 2013 Spyder RTS that's in really good condition and really low mileage. Dealer maintained the entire time, which is nice to know.

I've done some "rental" riding on the Can-Ams as well as the training safety program and I love them. I can't ride a 2-wheel motorcycle anymore after many injuries and surgeries to my left foot/ankle while in the military, so figured I'd go the 3-wheel route to get back on one.

This will be my first one as I go into my military retirement. In a few years I'll likely swap it out for a newer/new one, but for now I'll enjoy what I can get the wife's thumbs up for, lol.

I've been sifting through these forums for quite some time now and am aware of the 2013 issues, but this one has had all the recalls done and has been extremely well maintained and lightly ridden as it only has about 5k miles after 9 years.

Would love to hear which Spyder accessories y'all feel are the "must haves" for a first-time owner. Plan on getting an x-mount for my phone and likely a Lidlox for my helmet as I'm going to assume the helmet I currently have won't fit in the 2013s.

Stay blessed and ride safe!

SpyderLovers Ambassador Little Blue's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default New Member

...Welcome to the Spyder Forum.......
    The 2013 is a okay starter, but the 2014 - 2017 are the ones that are better. Check out the Spyder's 3 cylinders engine.

And Yes, the newer versions (2020 - 2022) are even better.
    Do your homework and get what is best for you.
    ENJOY YOUR LIFE WITH A SPYDER
    Ryde with a Friend and be Safe

My Spyder .....'Little Blue-Boy'
    2016 RT Limited , Orbital Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Blue View Post
    ...Welcome to the Spyder Forum.......
    The 2013 is a okay starter, but the 2014 - 2017 are the ones that are better. Check out the Spyder's 3 cylinders engine.

And Yes, the newer versions (2020 - 2022) are even better.
    Do your homework and get what is best for you.
    Thanks for the advice. The 2013 actually fell through. It has a couple of issues I didn't like and the dealership wasn't up for fixing them. They were somewhat minor, but at the "non-negotiable" price they were wanting, they should be willing to fix a few minor issues.

Looking at a 2018 now, actually, that's in phenomenal condition and so far is exactly everything I want, even down to the color. If we can come to terms on a price tonight, then I'll be test riding tomorrow morning one final time and hopefully coming home with it.

Very Active Member CopperSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome to the forum USAFSpawn, Thank You for your service. You can find lots of good information here on the different models of Spyders and Rykers in the different areas of the forum. Little Blue gave you some good advice with the 2013 falling through look around. the Spyder RT 2010 to 2013 has a 998 great engine that gets about 30 mpg ok power steering; the Spyder RT 2014 to 2019 has a 1330 engine that get 38+ MPG and good power steering that had even more improvement in 2018. the Spyder RT 2020 and up are the latest models with the 1330 engine 38+ MPG and the best power steering yet. I just touched on two things, but many things improve as time goes on. Nothing wrong with the older models they run very good and will for a long time the same for each model after. So for upgrades wait and ride what ever you buy for a little while and get use to the ride before you make any changes, I would say at least 2000 miles. Good luck shopping, I hope to see you around the forum soon!!
    My Spyder
    2012 RTL , Brown

Spyder Garage

Default Do Your Homework

Quote Originally Posted by USAFSpawn View Post
    Thanks for the advice. The 2013 actually fell through. It has a couple of issues I didn't like and the dealership wasn't up for fixing them. They were somewhat minor, but at the "non-negotiable" price they were wanting, they should be willing to fix a few minor issues.

Looking at a 2018 now, actually, that's in phenomenal condition and so far is exactly everything I want, even down to the color. If we can come to terms on a price tonight, then I'll be test riding tomorrow morning one final time and hopefully coming home with it.
    The '2018 Spyder is it a R, RT or RT LIMITED?
    I have a 2016 RTL and I enjoy ryding it all the time.

My Tip: Only Purchase a SPYDER that you can afford.
    Stay Healthy and Be Safe. ........

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CopperSpyder View Post
    Welcome to the forum USAFSpawn, Thank You for your service. You can find lots of good information here on the different models of Spyders and Rykers in the different areas of the forum. Little Blue gave you some good advice with the 2013 falling through look around. the Spyder RT 2010 to 2013 has a 998 great engine that gets about 30 mpg ok power steering; the Spyder RT 2014 to 2019 has a 1330 engine that get 38+ MPG and good power steering that had even more improvement in 2018. the Spyder RT 2020 and up are the latest models with the 1330 engine 38+ MPG and the best power steering yet. I just touched on two things, but many things improve as time goes on. Nothing wrong with the older models they run very good and will for a long time the same for each model after. So for upgrades wait and ride what ever you buy for a little while and get use to the ride before you make any changes, I would say at least 2000 miles. Good luck shopping, I hope to see you around the forum soon!!
    Thanks for the advice! I wasn't aware of the power steering differences over the years, but was aware of the rest thanks to this awesome forum.

Spyder Garage

The '2018 Spyder is it a R, RT or RT LIMITED?
    I have a 2016 RTL and I enjoy ryding it all the time.

My Tip: Only Purchase a SPYDER that you can afford.
    Stay Healthy and Be Safe. ........
    Hey, Blue. I finalized it last night and will pick up on Thursday. It's a 2018 Spyder RT Limited Dark and is blue in color! It's a great ride, well-maintained with records, only 12k miles, and they gave me a great deal on it to include a 1-year full warranty included in the price since I'm military! Looking forward to picking it up tomorrow and riding it home. I'll update my garage Thursday or Friday after getting it.

Plan on riding it a bit before letting my wife hop on the back as I've never ridden with a passenger before, but also never owned a Spyder, even though I've ridden them many times through rentals, friends, safety training, etc. Wanna make sure I'm 100% comfortable and confident on it before I let the wife hop on it with me, of course.

Spyder Garage

Default Post Up in the general area of the Forum

...I am glad you got the Spyder (2018 RTL).
    A GREAT Spyder to Ryde and Enjoy some 'Wind Therapy'.
    Ryde and learn all about your Spyder.

Just a quick note, try posting in the main areas of the Forum. Most people are looking and posting there.

Questions, just ask we are here to help. ......

Spyder Garage

...I am glad you got the Spyder (2018 RTL).
    A GREAT Spyder to Ryde and Enjoy some 'Wind Therapy'.
    Ryde and learn all about your Spyder.

Just a quick note, try posting in the main areas of the Forum. Most people are looking and posting there.

Questions, just ask we are here to help. ......
    Yep, that's the plan as I have them, of course. I was just responding to y'all here as I don't like to just drop things without a response, lol