Spyder Garage

Default Taking care of the windscreen

I'm not sure how much a replacement windscreen will cost so I am trying to take as good care of the original one as I can. After every ride I use a microfiber cloth soaked with plain water to gently wash the bugs off, then I dry the windscreen with another microfiber cloth. Then I spray and wipe off Plexus. My RT is now a year old and the windscreen looks pretty pristine, other than a small scratch where a rock was kicked up from the roadway.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Spyder Garage

I can't improve on your system, with one exception. I find that microfiber cloths leave lots of tiny fibers on the w/s, so I use old 100% cotton T-shirts that have no printing on them for applying the Plexus.
    Ours is a red, black and chrome 2017 F3 Limited. Bought new in 2/2019. The avatar is my first bike back in 1952, a Simplex Servi-Cycle. Photo taken at the Barber Museum.
    2017 F3 Limited , Red, Black & Chrome

Spyder Garage

If microfiber cloths leave fibers on the windscreen I have not noticed them. Maybe they just blow off when I start my next ride.
    2021 Spyder RT
    2023 Royal Enfield Hunter 350
    Retired U.S. Army
    Life Member, NRA
    2021 RT , Petrol (blue)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    I can't improve on your system, with one exception. I find that microfiber cloths leave lots of tiny fibers on the w/s, so I use old 100% cotton T-shirts that have no printing on them for applying the Plexus.
    ..... don't use any glass cleaner that contains Bleach, Ammonia, alcohol etc. This is for the OEM & any other brand wqindshield..... the F-4 I think is different ..... good luck ... Mike

Spyder Garage

I do the same unless I have a lot of bugs on the shield. In that case I will take a towel soaked in warm water and put it over the shield for a few minutes. That will loosn the bugs so they come of with less rubbing. The less you rub on these shields the better. Good old hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle will do the same for bugs on the painted surfaces and won't harm the finish.
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RICZ View Post
    If this is correct then you are using some very low quality microfiber towels. That is why they were developed in the first place. No residual fibers. That and absorbency.
    2022 Petrol Metallic RT Limited / 'PYDER'
    Peter Pan has struck again!

Spyder Garage

I used only water and cotton cloths on my stock shield but my F4 gets dollar store glass cleaner and paper towels. It's nice not having to be so fussy with it.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s