Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default How do you measure Windshield size?

I have a stock 2008 PE Spyder mine came with a sports touring windshield, which according to the book measures 10". I can't find anywhere on the shield that measures 10". When I measure from the bottom of the cut out to the top of the shield I get 10 1/2" so I am guessing this must be approximate.

I am looking to buy another shield for additional protection and was mainly thinking about the Chad from No Magic as my prime thought at this time. Like other manufactures they state a size of the shield, the Chad is listed at 25" but from where? how are, or where are the measurements for the shields, measured from? It has me beat, maybe age is getting to me. The shield I have now has done a great job but I really would like at times a little more protection but want to get it as right as I can the first time. (I have seen some shields that just go on forever and make the Spyder look very ugly so I think the adjustable is a good option).

Any help would be appreciated, where exactly are windshield measured from? I am at a loss here.

Spyder Garage

Default Windshiels

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRider2492 View Post
    I have a stock 2008 PE Spyder mine came with a sports touring windshield, which according to the book measures 10". I can't find anywhere on the shield that measures 10". When I measure from the bottom of the cut out to the top of the shield I get 10 1/2" so I am guessing this must be approximate.

I am looking to buy another shield for additional protection and was mainly thinking about the Chad from No Magic as my prime thought at this time. Like other manufactures they state a size of the shield, the Chad is listed at 25" but from where? how are, or where are the measurements for the shields, measured from? It has me beat, maybe age is getting to me. The shield I have now has done a great job but I really would like at times a little more protection but want to get it as right as I can the first time. (I have seen some shields that just go on forever and make the Spyder look very ugly so I think the adjustable is a good option).

Any help would be appreciated, where exactly are windshield measured from? I am at a loss here.
    A windshield is measured from the top to bottom at its longest point and across at its widest point. The measurements aren't relative to any thing on the motorcycle only the actual size of the shield as it would be lying on the floor.

Michael

WE DON'T QUIT PLAYING BECAUSE WE GROW OLD; WE GROW OLD BECAUSE WE QUIT PLAYING

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I would suggest you look at the Madstad system. http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.10/.f

I had Chad on my Spyder and it was good but I am getting better results (smoother air, less windnoise and turbulence etc) from a much smaller (and better looking IMHO) screen on the Madstad brackets. Madstad is far more adjustable than Chad and a good deal cheaper too!

Pure size is not important its how you use the screen and how it is positioned.

Last edited by mrb; 10-12-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default You need some help . . . .

. . . . men are really bad at measuring things accurately. You need a woman for that.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

You are right about adjustability being a good thing.

I also have the RoboBrackets MRB mentioned. Fantastic. I never could get use to the look of the CHAD (personal taste).

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[quote=mrb;150353]I would suggest you look at the Madstad system. http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.10/.f

Thanks for the replies, I guess I should have got my wife to measure the shield, made me laugh that comment.

I had forgotton the Robo Brackets so this reminder was a great help Martin, although I liked the type of screen that I mentioned I was having difficulties with its looks but the Madstad Robo Brackets complete with the larger screen still looks great on our guess I am going to go for that one as it is clean and still adjustable, it almost appears to look stock, more what I was going for.

Thanks again for the help